[Well known problem] - great cell signal no data - requires dealer visit to resolve

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here is a post that provides fix options and links to related posts and TSBs about no LTE and ConBox High.
@whitex 's info that ConBox High has its own battery is important. Brief 12v battery or fuse disconnect may not be enough to reset it.

I'm guessing that the "helpful note' that Porsche support shares with owners is designed to prompt Porsche dealers to try resetting the ConBox High ecu, rather than replacing it and other hardware.

Last edited:

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
in my case - sim status shows good bars and celluar network (Verizon) - in the case of Taycan you can't connect to home-wifi - so if the cellular connection is "wedged/hung" apparently it requires a dealer visit to "reset/restore" the modem's sanity…

it boggles my mind that…
  1. this requires a dealer visit
  2. it's a problem that doesn't fix itself will a full power down (disconnect the 12v battery)
  3. that it can come to this
  4. Porsche knows about it and has no apparent plans to 'fix' it
  5. that if my car was out of warranty they'd charge me to fix it
I'll provide details when I have them - as I said the next time I have to go to the dealer I'll be dropping my Taycan for this repair - I hope to visit the dealer sooner rather than later, but right now I'm in world wide shipping logistics hell so I have no idea when my opportunity to visit the dealer will present itself.
Totally agreed. My Taycan was out of commission for nearly a week last month with this issue, and it’s the second time that it has happened this year. Both incidents required a dealer visit to resolve.

And like Dave, the thought that this could be an out-of-pocket expense for me in the future is maddening. This is an unacceptable state of affairs, and Porsche need to do something to address this.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I'm sorry to say this has happened to me two or three times as well (2020 model). Each time required a dealer visit...and I'm pretty sure they had to do a "full power down" to fix it - a Connbox reset was insufficient.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
May I ask how long you had the 12v disconnected for?
In my case for 12v reset ……… The second time when it worked I left it disconnected for thirty minutes, the first time when it did not work I had left it for only 5 minutes.

I have corrected my original post to clarify time powered down …. But here is the full process I followed as written in that post ……… others such as @casica had originally posted this fix ………. as Dave has pointed out it may not work for everyone but it worked for me …….

Get a 10mm wrench (now in my emergency kit), 12v battery disconnect for 30 mins, PCM 2 finger reset, sign out and back in of both the PCM and the App,, let the PCM settle down ….. and all is well in the world (at least for now)…….. Thanks @caslca and all others that post this stuff……..”

Last edited:

CLF1

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
My 2022 Taycan Cross Turismo had the Porsche Connect service auto renew at the end of November. And, guess what....loss of connectivity. I had no LTE indication and I tried a number of things.

Then, I turned ON the Privacy option which halts connectivity. Then, I disengaged Privacy as required and I rebooted the system (two fingers on the upper right).

When everything came back up, I had the LTE indicator and all systems have worked normally for the past 24 hours.

So, the only thing I know of that I did differently than the good suggestions above is turn "Privacy" on and then off and then reboot.

Good luck to all!

action-ant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Could this be related to the WNK7 campaign? I reached out to my local dealer asking if my car (2022) is affected by the WPN9 campaign and they came back saying both WNK7 and WPN9 campaigns need to be applied.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Mine fixed itself last night.

Plugged into the home charger, went indoors and noticed the app was working after 5 days, 11 hours and 32 minutes not working.

Still working now.

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
owner frustration and further confirmation that Porsche's mastery of all things mechanical is starting to wear thin with an ongoing set of "digital snafu's" that are unbecoming on a $150k+++ vehicle
big fucking mood right there.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
So the disconnecting of the 12v battery and letting it sit sounds a lot like power cycling the CONBOX or the modem. The modem will have its own backup battery which gets worn out from constant charging after a few years and requires replacement (I’ve done this myself on all post-millennium build BMWs I’ve owned, it’s hard to ignore since it provokes a fault pop up message that won’t go away). Possibly, the variation in the amount of 12V disconnect time necessary to effect a reset may be related to the state of the cell modem backup battery which gets clobbered with age.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
This also happened to me and fixed itself after 3 weeks. Plug and charge still works with no connection though. Weird.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Possibly, the variation in the amount of 12V disconnect time necessary to effect a reset may be related to the state of the cell modem backup battery which gets clobbered with age.
I am curious about symptoms of a CONBOX battery needing replacement. I would hope there would be a clear warning on the PCM, but having experienced Porsche software, I would not bet any money on it - it could just manifest itself as random OTA or connectivity issues.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in another chapter of Porsche's mastery of all things digital - apparently the vehicle's cellular modem can get wedged to such a degree that while it has a perfect cellular signal it will refuse to engage in any actual data transfers. Symptom's include but are not limited to:
  • PCM weather app offline
  • PCM news app offline
  • PCM no traffic updates on navigation
  • PCM in ability to login into different porscheID accounts
  • no remote access via the myPorsche app
  • owner frustration and further confirmation that Porsche's mastery of all things mechanical is starting to wear thin with an ongoing set of "digital snafu's" that are unbecoming on a $150k+++ vehicle
  • two lines with a slash through them indicate no data service is functional - this icon is not helpful or remotely diagnostic - the "icon" shows up in the upper right portion of the upper center screen
according to myPorsche app - my car has not been seen online since Oct. 16th…I finally tried to diagnose and recover it this weekend and there was no joy…

800-PORSCHE confirmed the problem this past weekend and provide a detailed writeup for me to show my Porsche dealer such that they can resolve the issue with a dealer service visit. The phone representative confirmed this is a known issue, but no fix other than dealer service visit is available at this time. The customer support level of this phone call was excellent - polite, knowledgable, and a targeted resolution - but this problem should not exist and if it does it should not require a dealer visit to resolve a "wedged" modem - but I have zero complaints about the actual phone call…

NOTE: if/when this problem happens out of warranty it would be a for-pay service at your dealership to "reboot/reset" this wonky Modem in the vehicle - for that I lack words and consider this utter crap - my Taycan is still in warranty - but honestly a dealer visit to reset/reboot a fault component that isn't a hardware fault? This would not make me happy.

I plan to drop the Taycan off for this "fix" when I have reason to visit the dealer for other reasons later this week…

Taycan's a great car - but other aspects of it after 3+ years of ownership are wearing thin…

text of the customer support eMail provided below:

car is back online after a dealer visit - I'm picking it up today - I can tell it's fixed because I can access the car remotely now even though I have yet to pick it up!!

Woot - there was also a PCM software update done.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
car is back online after a dealer visit - I'm picking it up today - I can tell it's fixed because I can access the car remotely now even though I have yet to pick it up!!

If you can glean any intel on what was done, it may eventually lead to an at home fix.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Could you share what tech wrote that he did?
Sponsored