B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Interesting…today, I could be in Porsche museum, but I was not able to take a day off when dealer invited me on a flight.
Sponsored

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Day 14: Stuttgart (Germany) -> Karlsruhe (Germany) + Porsche Museum

We are probably the easiest going – roll with it – kind of travellers. When on a trip like this, it is impossible to plan for every eventuality so being flexible is essential to having a successful journey and a good time.

We had planned to stay two nights at our current hotel – Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten in Stuttgart – but unusually for us – have decided to move on this morning to a new hotel.

The three reasons for the decision – in no particular order – were:

#1 Destination charging

Though the hotel shows up as having EV chargers on hotels.com – the reason I originally booked it – the hotel wrote to me in advance of my stay to say they had no charger compatible with my vehicle.

This turned out to be untrue and there was a standard working Type 2 charger in the hotel underground car park. However, I only stumbled upon it accidentally late at night and by that stage it was blocked by a non-EV car.

This is the only hotel that we failed to get any charge at due to misinformation. Ironic that in the home of Porsche, that we'd experience our first five-star hotel that would be so EV unfriendly.

IMG_3482.jpeg

#2 Rats

There are rats everywhere outside the hotel. We're not talking one or two but dozens at once. At one stage on our attempt to walk to a nearby restaurant there were numerous in front and behind us.

This is not necessarily the fault of the hotel – and might be due to the extensive construction taking place at the nearby main train station – but it was enough to make my co-driver uncomfortable with staying, using the underground car park and generally walking within the local environs around the hotel.

#3 Bar

With such an extensive driving trip – by necessity alcohol isn't a big feature – but we're coming towards near the end of the long driving sections and we thought we'd have a drink at the hotel bar after last nights dinner – only to be told that every empty table/seat was reserved.

Even though we were guests at this 5-star hotel – it was made fairly clear that we were not wanted. Instead, we went back to our room. As I mentioned earlier – we're not too fussy – but I don't like paying to be made feel unwelcome.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.34.png

Mercedes-Benz Museum

So after check-out we headed to the Mercedes-Benz Museum – in the rain – good timing on having mostly indoor activities today. The car park had plenty of EV chargers free.

IMG_3489.jpeg

The charger started to immediately giving us 20kW of power – that would quickly make up for the lack of destination charging last night. Thank you Mercedes-Benz!

The museum is very impressive and well done. Being that we're here on a wet Thursday morning – its very quiet – which allows us to easily spend time at each exhibit. I think the 1930's cars were the ones that stuck out for me – they have such design flair.

IMG_3583.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

In term's of EV's they had this prototype police car.

IMG_3613.jpeg

And this general concept EV.

IMG_3660.jpeg

Which I thought had some Taycan elements to its design.

IMG_3663.jpeg

And close up of an EV motor and battery components.

IMG_3675.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

Porsche Museum

Then it was on to Porsche Museum – thankfully the rain had stopped at this stage.

IMG_2475.jpeg

IMG_2480.jpeg

Traffic was really heavy in Zuffenhausen and it was difficult to find your way and manoeuvre around the general area.

Parking was easy and there was again tons of chargers. We decided to top up again – as much for the novelty of doing so at Porsche as anything. The chargers only gave 11kW here – half the speed of Mercedes-Benz.

Our Taycan is now parked 100 meters from where it was "born".

IMG_3749.jpeg

Why PIN protect them and then tape the code to the chargers – ?‍♀ ?

IMG_3743.jpeg

After grabbing some Currywurst in the cafeteria we headed up to the museum proper.

IMG_3761.jpeg

They certainly make a big deal right at the start that Porsche + Electricity are not at all strangers.

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

The PCM looks solid – and trouble free.

IMG_3789.jpeg

There are so many great cars here – I think its very difficult to pick one. But I enjoyed seeing "The Pink Pig" in real life.

IMG_3914.jpeg

They had a Euro NCAP crashed Taycan 4S.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

And a Taycan battery cell from LG Chem.

IMG_4027.jpeg

Some bits of the museum was like being at a nicely appointed dealer.

IMG_4042.jpeg

It was interesting to see a Formula E car up close.

IMG_4047.jpeg

With both the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Museum's the buildings that house them are as much a part of the attraction as the exhibits themselves.

Karlsruhe

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.48.png

It was then time to head out of Stuttgart for our new hotel – Hotel Der Blaue Reiter – in Karlsruhe. While it was only around 55km away – it took 1.5 hour due to traffic jams. New hotel is great – even has its own brewery attached to it – shouldn't be too difficult to get a beer tonight!

IMG_4097.jpeg

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Mercedes-Benz Museum, Germany71%100%24.237€0.001 hour 12 minutes18.030AC 22kWNone/Free
Porsche Museum, Germany93%100%5.85€0.0023 minutes2032AC 11kWNone/Free

Today we did 117km over 3:58 hours, with an average speed of 30km/h, consuming 21.6 kWh/100km.
the PIN is because porsche needs every chance they can get to remind you of the 911 ?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thankyou for taking the time to do this thread.
Very well put together and formatted makes it really enjoyable to read.

Is been very Informative seeing how the Taycan manages on an extended cross border road trip.

Oh...and happy anniversary!

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Day 14: Stuttgart (Germany) -> Karlsruhe (Germany) + Porsche Museum

We are probably the easiest going – roll with it – kind of travellers. When on a trip like this, it is impossible to plan for every eventuality so being flexible is essential to having a successful journey and a good time.

We had planned to stay two nights at our current hotel – Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten in Stuttgart – but unusually for us – have decided to move on this morning to a new hotel.

The three reasons for the decision – in no particular order – were:

#1 Destination charging

Though the hotel shows up as having EV chargers on hotels.com – the reason I originally booked it – the hotel wrote to me in advance of my stay to say they had no charger compatible with my vehicle.

This turned out to be untrue and there was a standard working Type 2 charger in the hotel underground car park. However, I only stumbled upon it accidentally late at night and by that stage it was blocked by a non-EV car.

This is the only hotel that we failed to get any charge at due to misinformation. Ironic that in the home of Porsche, that we'd experience our first five-star hotel that would be so EV unfriendly.

IMG_3482.jpeg

#2 Rats

There are rats everywhere outside the hotel. We're not talking one or two but dozens at once. At one stage on our attempt to walk to a nearby restaurant there were numerous in front and behind us.

This is not necessarily the fault of the hotel – and might be due to the extensive construction taking place at the nearby main train station – but it was enough to make my co-driver uncomfortable with staying, using the underground car park and generally walking within the local environs around the hotel.

#3 Bar

With such an extensive driving trip – by necessity alcohol isn't a big feature – but we're coming towards near the end of the long driving sections and we thought we'd have a drink at the hotel bar after last nights dinner – only to be told that every empty table/seat was reserved.

Even though we were guests at this 5-star hotel – it was made fairly clear that we were not wanted. Instead, we went back to our room. As I mentioned earlier – we're not too fussy – but I don't like paying to be made feel unwelcome.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.34.png

Mercedes-Benz Museum

So after check-out we headed to the Mercedes-Benz Museum – in the rain – good timing on having mostly indoor activities today. The car park had plenty of EV chargers free.

IMG_3489.jpeg

The charger started to immediately giving us 20kW of power – that would quickly make up for the lack of destination charging last night. Thank you Mercedes-Benz!

The museum is very impressive and well done. Being that we're here on a wet Thursday morning – its very quiet – which allows us to easily spend time at each exhibit. I think the 1930's cars were the ones that stuck out for me – they have such design flair.

IMG_3583.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

In term's of EV's they had this prototype police car.

IMG_3613.jpeg

And this general concept EV.

IMG_3660.jpeg

Which I thought had some Taycan elements to its design.

IMG_3663.jpeg

And close up of an EV motor and battery components.

IMG_3675.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

Porsche Museum

Then it was on to Porsche Museum – thankfully the rain had stopped at this stage.

IMG_2475.jpeg

IMG_2480.jpeg

Traffic was really heavy in Zuffenhausen and it was difficult to find your way and manoeuvre around the general area.

Parking was easy and there was again tons of chargers. We decided to top up again – as much for the novelty of doing so at Porsche as anything. The chargers only gave 11kW here – half the speed of Mercedes-Benz.

Our Taycan is now parked 100 meters from where it was "born".

IMG_3749.jpeg

Why PIN protect them and then tape the code to the chargers – ?‍♀ ?

IMG_3743.jpeg

After grabbing some Currywurst in the cafeteria we headed up to the museum proper.

IMG_3761.jpeg

They certainly make a big deal right at the start that Porsche + Electricity are not at all strangers.

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

The PCM looks solid – and trouble free.

IMG_3789.jpeg

There are so many great cars here – I think its very difficult to pick one. But I enjoyed seeing "The Pink Pig" in real life.

IMG_3914.jpeg

They had a Euro NCAP crashed Taycan 4S.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

And a Taycan battery cell from LG Chem.

IMG_4027.jpeg

Some bits of the museum was like being at a nicely appointed dealer.

IMG_4042.jpeg

It was interesting to see a Formula E car up close.

IMG_4047.jpeg

With both the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Museum's the buildings that house them are as much a part of the attraction as the exhibits themselves.

Karlsruhe

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.48.png

It was then time to head out of Stuttgart for our new hotel – Hotel Der Blaue Reiter – in Karlsruhe. While it was only around 55km away – it took 1.5 hour due to traffic jams. New hotel is great – even has its own brewery attached to it – shouldn't be too difficult to get a beer tonight!

IMG_4097.jpeg

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Mercedes-Benz Museum, Germany71%100%24.237€0.001 hour 12 minutes18.030AC 22kWNone/Free
Porsche Museum, Germany93%100%5.85€0.0023 minutes2032AC 11kWNone/Free

Today we did 117km over 3:58 hours, with an average speed of 30km/h, consuming 21.6 kWh/100km.
Awesome trip report. Thank you for sharing ! Great perspective on owning an EV and enjoying the trip.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Black Forest

Have we left the best drive for last ?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 08.27.36

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Black Forest

Have we left the best drive for last ?

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 08.27.36.png
Looking forward to it. I'm going to be so sad when this trip ends ... I feel like I've been making my way through Europe with you. Great reports!

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What's in our frunk?

IMG_3128.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

• Juice Booster 2 Travel Charger
  • Travel Charger 5 meter extension cable
  • Adaptors:
    • UK
    • Swiss
    • Schuko
    • Italian
    • 32A 3-phase industrial
    • 32A 1-phase industrial
    • 16A 3-phase industrial
    • 16A 1-phase industrial
  • Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable
  • Porsche Cleaning Kit
  • Screenwash

The travel charger handles everything from 3 amp single phase up to 32 amp three phase electricity supplies. It also handles the three phase electrical networks without a neutral – like those found in Norway.
Awesome!

Oslo Blue 911?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oslo Blue 911?
That was my thought too – its my current favourite Porsche colour – so would be great if I have actually seen it "in-the-flesh".

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 15: Karlsruhe (Germany) -> Freiburg (Germany)

Getting a little lazier as the trip nears its end – we left our hotel at midday – heading via the B500 through the Black Forest to Freiberg

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report route ma

As we didn't pick up a destination charge last night – we picked hotel at last minute – so the PCM routed us via a charger at Porsche Centre Baden-Baden.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4142

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4134

This is the first time that I've used these style of chargers and I found the instructions/UI very easy to understand. They were quick to get started with my Porsche Charging Service card. The good folks at the Porsche Centre noticed us charging and came out to offer coffee/food.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4135

It is worth mentioning that as these chargers are not IONITY – there is both a time and energy consumed aspect to the costs. This helps keep the chargers available – but I think Porsche should drop the time aspect on their own chargers and make them the same cost to use as IONITY - not more expensive as they currently are.

After topping up to 98% – we went into the busy town centre – to Wallstreet in Hamilton – for lunch .

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4145

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4157

In the town, we saw our first Audi e-tron GT that appeared to be some sort of promotional vehicle.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2533

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2550

It was getting late at this stage – so time to head south along the B500 and into the Black Forest.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2586

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2583

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2725

The scenery was great and the road network here is excellent. However, a combination of trucks, slow traffic and a lot of 70/50 km/h restrictions – limits the sports car enjoyment of this particular route.

We've had plenty of that on this trip so enjoyed the views and kept up to the limits or overtook traffic when the situation allowed.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2565

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2690

Due to the time, we didn't stop at any touristy sights – such as the Alternative Wolf and Bear Park Black Forest or the many Cuckoo Clock sellers & manufacturers along the route.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2701

We arrived at our hotel – Dorint Thermenhotel in Freiburg for our last night in Germany.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageJym9b2

As its Friday evening - the hotel is fully booked – and the destination chargers are busy.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageoBZnGo

One of the cars is a hybrid – so I hope that they won't be plugged in all night. If we can't get a charge here – we'll just grab an IONITY charge tomorrow along our route.

The days charging stats:

Porsche Centre Baden-Baden, Germany71%98%27.05€23.1528 minutes21.031DC 300kWPorsche Charging Service

Today we did 238km over 5:17 hours, with an average speed of 46km/h, consuming 21.5 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Day 15: Karlsruhe (Germany) -> Freiburg (Germany)

Getting a little lazier as the trip nears its end – we left our hotel at midday – heading via the B500 through the Black Forest to Freiberg

route map.png

As we didn't pick up a destination charge last night – we picked hotel at last minute – so the PCM routed us via a charger at Porsche Centre Baden-Baden.

IMG_4142.jpeg

IMG_4134.jpeg

This is the first time that I've used these style of chargers and I found the instructions/UI very easy to understand. They were quick to get started with my Porsche Charging Service card. The good folks at the Porsche Centre noticed us charging and came out to offer coffee/food.

IMG_4135.jpeg

It is worth mentioning that as these chargers are not IONITY – there is both a time and energy consumed aspect to the costs. This helps keep the chargers available – but I think Porsche should drop the time aspect on their own chargers and make them the same cost to use as IONITY - not more expensive as they currently are.

After topping up to 98% – we went into the busy town centre – to Wallstreet in Hamilton – for lunch .

IMG_4145.jpeg

IMG_4157.jpeg

In the town, we saw our first Audi e-tron GT that appeared to be some sort of promotional vehicle.

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2550.jpeg

It was getting late at this stage – so time to head south along the B500 and into the Black Forest.

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2725.jpeg

The scenery was great and the road network here is excellent. However, a combination of trucks, slow traffic and a lot of 70/50 km/h restrictions – limits the sports car enjoyment of this particular route.

We've had plenty of that on this trip so enjoyed the views and kept up to the limits or overtook traffic when the situation allowed.

IMG_2565.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

Due to the time, we didn't stop at any touristy sights – such as the Alternative Wolf and Bear Park Black Forest or the many Cuckoo Clock sellers & manufacturers along the route.

IMG_2701.jpeg

We arrived at our hotel – Dorint Thermenhotel in Freiburg for our last night in Germany.

tempImageJym9b2.jpg

As its Friday evening - the hotel is busy – and the destination chargers are busy.

tempImageoBZnGo.jpg

One of the cars is a hybrid – so I hope that they won't be plugged in all night. If we can't get a charge here – we'll just grab an IONITY charge tomorrow along our route.

The days charging stats:

Porsche Centre Baden-Baden, Germany71%98%27.05€23.1528 minutes21.031DC 300kWPorsche Charging Service

Today we did 238km over 5:17 hours, with an average speed of 46km/h, consuming 21.5 kWh/100km.
Have truly enjoyed reading your daily posts. Thank you for taking the time. Wonderful format.
Hopefully you have had time to pick up some Monkey 47 or tour the factory while in the Black Forest region. https://monkey47.com/distillery-tours

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Read this entire blog from start to end, thank you so much for sharing! Such an amazing journey!