First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello all!
My free state is rapidly approaching for my Taycan 4Sin crayon!

I was hoping to get your feedback on must have options. I have gone a bit crazy with options and added about $34,000 in options.I would appreciate it if any current owners would reply with the options they feel are must haves and improve the overall driving comfort, performance as well as convenience. Thank you!
Hi I've had my 4S (Gentian Blue) for about a month now, ordered it from the configurator with a bit of help from the sales person on the phone (without a test drive due to lockdown). Love it, but think it will eat through brakes on local twisty UK roads, so wish I'd chosen carbon ceramic brakes. Love the glass roof - but wish I'd chosen the black/crayon interior instead of all black as it would make the interior feel less dark. Electric sound, its fun but only ever use this when showing the car off to my ICE driving friends. I dont have the fancy charging port door option - it works just fine when I press the port with my thumb. Hard plastic boot protector really useful to help keep the boot/trunk clean if like me you visit the garden centre a lot. Hope this helps.
Sponsored

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
But does that mean I still need to get the 150kw bc "By increasing the charging capacity to 150kW, the charging time is decreased? PS - I will be charging my car probably 95% of the time at home. Thank you.
The takeaway here is that there's a difference between the functionality of the 400V/150 kW option and the relevance of it. This option will ONLY increase your charging speed if you run into a 400V charging station that outputs more than 50 kW. Not sure anybody has seen any of these in the US. Some people consider this option as an "insurance" purchase.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Love it, but think it will eat through brakes on local twisty UK roads, so wish I'd chosen carbon ceramic brakes.
Supposedly, due to regenerative braking, the service brakes wear so gradually that the cast iron ones last 100k miles or more, and PSCB and PCCB may last the life of the car. The Taycan hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know for sure, but that's the experience that Teslas and other EVs are having.

So I wouldn't be too upset about your choice.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
But does that mean I still need to get the 150kw bc "By increasing the charging capacity to 150kW, the charging time is decreased? PS - I will be charging my car probably 95% of the time at home. Thank you.
Then you certainly would waste money on this options. Do the research and see how many CCS 400V DC chargers are on your long distance routes. If you find a few, which you think you need to use (no EA alternative available), then invest in this option, otherwise, spend it on something more useful.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hi I've had my 4S (Gentian Blue) for about a month now, ordered it from the configurator with a bit of help from the sales person on the phone (without a test drive due to lockdown). Love it, but think it will eat through brakes on local twisty UK roads...
Not seeing the green regeneration bar when breaking? With regen it is nearly impossible to get through this breaks on UK twisty roads before the mandatory (10 years?) replacement period.

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
The takeaway here is that there's a difference between the functionality of the 400V/150 kW option and the relevance of it. This option will ONLY increase your charging speed if you run into a 400V charging station that outputs more than 50 kW. Not sure anybody has seen any of these in the US. Some people consider this option as an "insurance" purchase.
Thank you so much for the explanation. Really appreciate it. I am new to this Electric car world. Own a Panamera 4S and thinking getting a GTS or Taycan. Some ppl said maybe should wait for the 2nd generation because as always the 2nd generation is always much better than the 1st.
Then you certainly would waste money on this options. Do the research and see how many CCS 400V DC chargers are on your long distance routes. If you find a few, which you think you need to use (no EA alternative available), then invest in this option, otherwise, spend it on something more useful.
But my friend told me that I will spend hours and hours charging the car if I don't get this 150kw? True?

Reactions: cfp

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But my friend told me that I will spend hours and hours charging the car if I don't get this 150kw? True?
I think the message here is that if you live in the US (with the exception of Montana, Wyoming, etc), 80%+ of your charging on the road will be done at EA stations. And even those states are being built out now. So you're talking about a very rare instance that this could come into play. That's why some people call it an insurance option. The use case isn't really there now but who knows about the future. And just to be clear, this option ONLY applies to DC charging (when you're on the road and looking for a fast charger). Has nothing to do with charging at home.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
If the charger max out at 50kW with charging losses you still need less than 2 hours with a 87 kWh battery charging from 1% to 99%? If you always use 800V chargers like all EA, then you always get at least 150kW. Honestly, I even don't understand the "insurance" argument...

Here in China, we have loads of 400V chargers but also >800V chargers. My car came standard with this option because of our infrastructure.

Porsche Taycan What are the Must Have Options 1623918854729

Porsche Taycan What are the Must Have Options 1623918901761

I also must say, that this all depends a bit on your expectation level. If you want to drive it like a 90L diesel ICE with 1100km range, and a 12 min refuel stop, well...

If you like a little excitement and adventure, then don't take this option and spend your money on design and comfort options.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Just to be really clear, no, not true.

Electrify America is all 800V, and they generally have two speeds, 350kW and 150kW. You can use both of those at full speed with no additional options. Because EA is free for 3 years and because it is the fastest way to charge a Taycan, it's what you are going to use whenever you have a choice.

The only times you might want to use something else is when you don't care about the charge speed, for example at a hotel or supermarket parking lot, or if there happen not to be any EA stations near you at all. To confirm that EA is nearby, you can download the app. (You don't need to register, just click "skip" in the top right corner on the login screen.)

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
Just to be really clear, no, not true.

Electrify America is all 800V, and they generally have two speeds, 350kW and 150kW. You can use both of those at full speed with no additional options. Because EA is free for 3 years and because it is the fastest way to charge a Taycan, it's what you are going to use whenever you have a choice.

The only times you might want to use something else is when you don't care about the charge speed, for example at a hotel or supermarket parking lot, or if there happen not to be any EA stations near you at all. To confirm that EA is nearby, you can download the app. (You don't need to register, just click "skip" in the top right corner on the login screen.)
What if I do 98% charging at home...Do I still need this 150kw/400v? I don't want to spend 9 hours charging...Thank you. (New to this electric car world...)

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What if I do 98% charging at home...Do I still need this 150kw/400v? I don't want to spend 9 hours charging...Thank you. (New to this electric car world...)
And just to be clear, this option ONLY applies to DC charging (when you're on the road and looking for a fast charger). Has nothing to do with charging at home.
I can’t make it any clearer. If you want to charge faster at home, you need the 19.2 kW option. And the right electrical hookup and a more robust EVSE. Good luck.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
how much charging you need? My tesla model X pulls 7kw from 12am to6am from 33% to 78%. This is on level 2 nema 14-50.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
From 8 pm to 6 am are 10 hours, that fills up the battery. If you really need faster charging you have 3 options:
  1. Get the 19.2 kW option, but will not have Plug&Charge
  2. Charge more often, so the battery is not that empty
  3. Find a DC fast-charger for home

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I will be charging my car probably 95% of the time at home. Thank you.
the fastest you can charge at home is 6 hour for an empty Taycan - but you'll need to do the following:
  1. option the 19.2 kW charging option on the Taycan
  2. having an electrician install a 100 amp circuit into your garage
  3. purchase a 19.2 kW EV Charger (ClipperCreek $2195)
keep in mind you rarely "fill" the EV from empty - you only have to charge each day in your garage for the miles you drove - 98% of daily use is less than 100 miles - which means your daily charging duration is 3-4 hours while you sleep - an then wake up full for your next day

but I can see you haven't bothered to read any existing postings that will answer all your questions.
Sponsored