What battery level you guys recommend charging and up to what max level ?

HypeR

First Name
emre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s performance plus
Country flag
Porsche recommends 85% for this.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OP search is your friend.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I.

Jaguar did some pretty crazy experiments where they had an I-Pace driving at high speeds on closed circuits down in a certain middle eastern country during the summer and only used fast charging to charge it back up again. Even after 200 000 Km the battery health was still around 90%. If they removed the heat and high speed driving out of the equation they saw around 97%.
Thanks. I only DC supercharge at Porsche (every 2 weeks) and wondered what the detrimental impact will be.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
This is so confusing. As a result I go up to eleven.

Yes indeed I have a double ++performance battery and it goes to eleven!!!!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1697

try to not exceed
100% for 1h
85% for 1day
65% for 1week
but also not less than
5% for 1h
15% for 1day
35% for 1week

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 6348

This topic is the equivalent of the "how often should you change your oil?" for gasoline powered Porsche cars. Drive the car. Charge it. Repeat. Don't worry about this stuff.

DC Chargers don't shorten the life the battery, especially 150kw chargers. Heck, Porsche's "battery friendly" DC charging caps things at 170kw -- higher than most of the DC charging that's available in the US.

The whole "don't charge it past 80%" thing is back from the days of earlier and less sophisticated EVs -- it's the equivalent of the 3000 mile oil change. Since then, Battery management has come a long way and you're not going to do a better job than the battery management system. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread 100% is actually on 85% with our batteries. You can't charge a Taycan battery to 100% despite what the dash is telling you.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
As pointed out elsewhere in this thread 100% is actually on 85% with our batteries.
I don’t see where this information comes from. For example, the PB+ is 93.4kWh with 83.7 usable. Appears to be 90% to me. Same for the 79.2kWh battery (71 usable). Additionally, I haven’t seen anything about what portion of the non-usable battery is at the min and what portion is at the max. So, I don’t think we know what percent the battery is charged to at “100%”. Unless someone has other information to share?

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
For my MY, Good To Know app recommends 80%.
Yes - a misprint I think. Up to you but I'd happily ignore it and Porsche should formally communicate this if deemed "essential" but given they haven't...
I am not so sure it is a misprint as much as it is Porsche wanting (or perhaps legally needing) to have the Good To Know App for any particular MY match that MY’s printed manual that was delivered with the car. I suspect (but have no real evidence of this) that Porsche simply realized that 85% instead of 80% doesn’t really move the needle and/or tweaked the software in the newer MY and through the update to the older MY to a point where 85% is now the recommended daily charge point for non-extended driving. They do not want to swap out printed manuals so the GTN app maintains a match to the printed word. I think it’s as simple as that and agree 85% is recommended across the MYs. That being said, my use case is all local driving (and not even daily), so I continue to charge to only 80% out of an abundance of caution.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I am not so sure it is a misprint as much as it is Porsche wanting (or perhaps legally needing) to have the Good To Know App for any particular MY match that MY’s printed manual that was delivered with the car. I suspect (but have no real evidence of this) that Porsche simply realized that 85% instead of 80% doesn’t really move the needle and/or tweaked the software in the newer MY and through the update to the older MY to a point where 85% is now the recommended daily charge point for non-extended driving. They do not want to swap out printed manuals so the GTN app maintains a match to the printed word. I think it’s as simple as that and agree 85% is recommended across the MYs. That being said, my use case is all local driving (and not even daily), so I continue to charge to only 80% out of an abundance of caution.
one respondent is confused about the recommended level to charge to.

for the 2020, porsche said 85% was the max high level for battery life, for the 2021 model porsche revised the level to 80%. RTFM!

all that said, as has been repeated over and over, you can charge to 100% everyday provided that you use the car everyday and bring the SOC back under 80%.
the key is to not let the car remain at a SOC above 80% for extended periods of time.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I split the difference and charge to 82.5%.

But the app doesn’t let me do this so I have to just sit by the car until it reaches 82%, wait an additional 1 minute 28 seconds 100 milliseconds and then manually unplug.

This isn’t how you guys are doing it?

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I split the difference and charge to 82.5%.

But the app doesn’t let me do this so I have to just sit by the car until it reaches 82%, wait an additional 1 minute 28 seconds 100 milliseconds and then manually unplug.

This isn’t how you guys are doing it?
You are off by 30 milliseconds but I think you are probably OK according to @kort
Sponsored