What battery level you guys recommend charging and up to what max level ?

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Useable battery is 83.7kW on the performance battery plus. 10% is hidden from user.
Like @Jhenson29, I'd like to know how the hidden 10% is split. I can't find anything that specifies that. Is it 5% at each 'end'? Or is it more at the lower end because you'd think it's worse for the battery to get closer to actual 0% charge than it is to actual 100% charge

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The buffer issue is more complicated than just the 10% unavailable to the user. The car also uses blended braking which has to act the same at all temperature ranges and States of Charge. I don't think I have ever seen how this is handled or even commented on.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Like @Jhenson29, I'd like to know how the hidden 10% is split. I can't find anything that specifies that. Is it 5% at each 'end'? Or is it more at the lower end because you'd think it's worse for the battery to get closer to actual 0% charge than it is to actual 100% charge
What does it matter - you can't access it so largely irrelevant if not academic interest only.

Aside from that we.are still advised by Porsche to charge to 85% on a regular basis.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I try to keep mine between 20% and 85%, especially when using a DC Fast Charger. When I take it on a road trip I will charge to 100%,.

Discohead

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, Macan GTS, TVR Chimaera 500
Country flag
Had an ipace for over 3 years and constantly topped it up to 100%. Honestly observed no degradation during ownership.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What does it matter - you can't access it so largely irrelevant if not academic interest only.
It’s only relevance is correcting the idea that it’s all the top end because we don’t know. Aside from that, I agree it’s mostly academic. But many discussions on here are, so nothing wrong with that. Those are usually the ones I enjoy more. Certainly more fun than “what color seat to get”.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
100% and don’t worry about it, because when it says 100%, it isn’t.
right on .I charge my car to 90% all the time and see no problems.As the poster says a 100% is really probably only 90% because porsche has built in a reserve which one cannot use

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Did some living on the edge 😂
Arrived at an Ionity with 1% and range just went from 2 km to --- when parking in the stall

Porsche Taycan What battery level you guys recommend charging and up to what max level ? EDAF7C1F-FF3D-486C-AEB0-CFD2D06DD479

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Charging at 266kw … by the time I got a coffee at Starbucks and was back at the car it was time to unplug an drive on. Went to 65% SOC in 15 minutes.

Porsche Taycan What battery level you guys recommend charging and up to what max level ? 90EEE4E3-EF81-4086-8F31-59BD17D09171

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Did some living on the edge 😂
Arrived at an Ionity with 1% and range just went from 2 km to --- when parking in the stall

EDAF7C1F-FF3D-486C-AEB0-CFD2D06DD479.jpeg
Ooof, how did the car drive with the SoC that low? I’ve watched ‘I drove a Taycan until it ran out of charge’ type videos and it seems like the car can barely go above 10kph by that point but can’t tell whether it’s just being exaggerated for entertainment purposes

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Just drove the same as on 80% SOC, I had been driving between 100 and 130 km/h for the past 50 km and was going that speed up until I took the exit to charge. It’s an Ionity next to a highway fuel station. Just had a warning of a ‘low battery charge’ but same performance as always.

porcha

First Name
H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very selfish…
That’s like saying you shouldn’t ever red line your engine if you are leasing because of a future owner? Or you should keep mileage down?

Novemberwhisky

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST Crayon.
Country flag
more charging questions - 2 weeks owning my ST GTS. I cant find in the app where to limit the SOC ie to switch off at 80% or 85% , etc. i see in the app the options for profiles but they only offer a minimum charge criteria.

Also, i have optioned the Porsche Charging unit home charging thingy. It can connect to my wifi or create its own hotspot. -what is the point of this? the car is telling me OTA what its config/SOC is. Seems the Porsche charger is superfluous. Though it does look nice.
Sponsored