What charge speeds are you getting at Tesla SC

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have charged at Tesla 3 times now. I didn’t get the charge speeds I was expecting. The battery was pre heated and low SoC at two charges.

first I got around 100 Kw on a 250 Kw charger the second time 60 Kw. First time wasn’t a big problem because we wanted to have dinner for 45 minutes anyway. It was a 40 charger facility and 10 cars charging. Second time we needed to wait longer then we wanted before charging complete. 4 of 10 chargers occupied.

Shouldnt we have charge speeds around 150 Kw ?

at the first charger it did say charge speed was limited to 100 Kw on my phone after connecting. Probably a setting by Tesla.

From my little experience. Tesla is expensive and slow. But a great rescue on busy days.

What charge speeds did others have at Tesla?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have received up to 130 to 135 kW several times. And they have stayed reasonable flat charging from 10% to 70+%. Folkstone worked great and a few more in France as well.. I have not seen the theoretical 150 kW though?

They are more expensive than Ionity, yes, but nothing like Total or Shell. And Tesla has been cheaper and better to charge at, compared to some of the non Ionity chargers in the charging service. There I have paid for 300 kW rates while receiving only 100 kW. Minute charges kick in then and get expensive. No minute charge at Tesla stations though.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have received up to 130 to 135 kW several times. And they have stayed reasonable flat charging from 10% to 70+%. Folkstone worked great and a few more in France as well.. I have not seen the theoretical 150 kW though?

They are more expensive than Ionity, yes, but nothing like Total or Shell. And Tesla has been cheaper and better to charge at, compared to some of the non Ionity chargers in the charging service. There I have paid for 300 kW rates while receiving only 100 kW. Minute charges kick in then and get expensive. No minute charge at Tesla stations though.
Great info going to Hastings next week. Was planning to charge at Ionity in Calais and a 150 Kw charger in Hastings. I booked Flexiplus. May give it try on the way back.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Great info going to Hastings next week. Was planning to charge at Ionity in Calais and a 150 Kw charger in Hastings. I booked Flexiplus. May give it try on the way back.
Ooh I have never used Flexiplus! Is that not a separate entry to the trains?
I have charged at the normal terminal several times and been pleased. Might just as well get some juice while waiting.

Actually I just saw that the Flexilounge going from Calais also is said to have 2 Tesla stalls, as is the main terminal building at Calais

Last edited:

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I got 126kw at one of the first “magic dock” stations here in New York. Had to take up two stalls to teach the socket though!
Porsche Taycan What charge speeds are you getting at Tesla SC ED443D4C-7F43-4083-84C2-7890D89D11D8

Icey4s

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 21 Audi SQ8, 20 330i, 19 M5 C
Country flag
Are you guys just using a Tesla TAP to use the superchargers?

2P168S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Without knowing all the details about various voltage levels and current limits, it makes sense that the max power you will see at a Tesla Supercharger is roughly half the max power you will see at Electrify America.
Power = voltage x current
The Superchargers run at roughly half the voltage as Electrify America, but the car can't take any more current than its limit.

Ergo

270 kW / 2 = 135 kW is about what I would expect, more or less

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
No, Tesla Tap is made for AC charging only. Don't try to use one at a DC charging station.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Europe has the correct connectors on Superchargers - TeslaTap will NEVER function with a supercharger it's for AC power only and the extra DCFast charging pins in the CCS1 connector are NOT connected with a TeslaTap (nor will they ever be connected)

you can charge at Supercharges in North America where Tesla has deployed their MagicDock adapters - 12 sites as of date of this postings - 2 in California and 10 in New York State. Others may or may not come as the whole NACS thing shakes out for the industry.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Without knowing all the details about various voltage levels and current limits, it makes sense that the max power you will see at a Tesla Supercharger is roughly half the max power you will see at Electrify America.
Power = voltage x current
The Superchargers run at roughly half the voltage as Electrify America, but the car can't take any more current than its limit.

Ergo

270 kW / 2 = 135 kW is about what I would expect, more or less
Taycan can handle upto 150 kW @ 400V if you have the optional $460 on board DC booster - standard Taycan's with out the optional DC booster will be limited to 50 kW at Supchargers w/MagicDocks in North America and EuroSuperchargers.

I've personally seen 132 kW at the Supercharger w/MagicDock in Scotts Valley, CA with my 2020 Taycan Turbo w/400V/150kW optional DC booster.
Sponsored

Last edited: