Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I'm right on the edge of buying a nearly-new second hand GTS saloon. As a matter of interest, would you buy an older car (14 months) with fewer miles (4K) and slightly lower price tag – or a newer car (six months), with more miles (8K) and a slightly higher price tag. Specs are broadly similar.

Thought I'd gauge opinions to help with potential decisions…
Sponsored

SCPoster

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Porsche 911 997.1 C2S
Country flag
I'm right on the edge of buying a nearly-new second hand GTS saloon. As a matter of interest, would you buy an older car (14 months) with fewer miles (4K) and slightly lower price tag – or a newer car (six months), with more miles (8K) and a slightly higher price tag. Specs are broadly similar.

Thought I'd gauge opinions to help with potential decisions…
Would go for the newer more warranty left car. Are they both the same model year ie MY22/MY23

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I agree, I think model year would matter. You can extend the warrenty, so that might matter, or it can be addressed to make it somewhat of a non-issue. If the two used cars were sitting next to each other on the lot, unless color/interior, options, made a difference in my preference, and if they were the same year, I would opt for the lower miles. If one was brand new, I'd opt for the new one.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Would go for the newer more warranty left car. Are they both the same model year ie MY22/MY23
No, one is MY22 (March, 2022), the other is MY23 (Nov 2022).

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I agree, I think model year would matter. You can extend the warrenty, so that might matter, or it can be addressed to make it somewhat of a non-issue. If the two used cars were sitting next to each other on the lot, unless color/interior, options, made a difference in my preference, and if they were the same year, I would opt for the lower miles. If one was brand new, I'd opt for the new one.
Okay, thanks. Deep down I feel a newer car makes more sense. Also, mileage on EVs doesn't make that much difference I don't think (apart from general wear and tear). And in the great scheme of things, 8K isn't much anyway.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
in this scenario, given the nature of the issues discovered so far on these models, i'd think newer component hw revs make the most difference. if there's a chance to have later revisions on items like heaters and such.. i'd go for that over a few thousand fewer miles on the battery. UNLESS, you had a really good sense of the respective owners and how the cars were driven and charged (ie. hard and fast charged a lot v. normal dad driving and L2 charging to 85%).. that could matter to me good bit as well. ymmv.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
No, one is MY22 (March, 2022), the other is MY23 (Nov 2022).
I'd think the difference is academic, and - all else being equal - would go for the lower miles. @dtich made a good point about the SoH - if you can access that/ask the sellers.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Yeah, I'd ask to check the battery condition. They're similar cars but one is black with a black interior (and no contrast stitching), and the one with the higher mileage has a great PtS paint job I really like. Curses.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In my ICE experience, age kills cars faster then mileage. On EVs, and specially your scenario (6 months diff?), I would get what I like the most (options). MY22 vs MY23 is just a paper. The cars are the same.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Yeah, I'd ask to check the battery condition. They're similar cars but one is black with a black interior (and no contrast stitching), and the one with the higher mileage has a great PtS paint job I really like. Curses.
Then don't go by spec, go by what you like. (As an aside, the PTS alone will make a huge difference come resale time.)

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
PTS seals the deal assuming the color is broadly acceptable. This option will be unaffordable in the future and PCar buyers love being one of a kind.

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
All good points, thanks all. I'll chase up tomorrow and report back. The PtS colour is...

Clawhammer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Does cost come into your decision making? If buying on a PCP does the mileage and/or model year affect the GMV and therefore make one cost less than the other?

OP
OP

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
No, this will be PX plus cash. Not a fan of PCP.
Sponsored