Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am currently driving a 970.2 Panamera S and I absolutely love it but being a 2014 car reaching the 10 year mark, I decided it's time to sell it and get something new. Initially, I was looking into 971 E-Hybrid Panamera but after some thought decided to go full electric and get myself a Taycan.

I am a family guy with one 5yo and that will be my daily driver. We mostly travel in the city and 300km round trips every now and then plus a couple of longer 5-600km trips per year to the sea. I have a charger in the office so charging is not an issue except for the longer trips.

I've had enough fun with RWD for now so first question is 4 VS 4S. I've driven 4S and GTS which are very, very similar in terms of performance but couldn't drive a 4 so far. There are quite a few almost brand new Taycan 4 cars, very well specced and obviously way cheaper than the 4S. So the question is basically how big of a difference it is? I am used to the Panamera and its 420hp but it's a petrol ICE so the "feeling" is quite different. I really don't want something that feels slower than the Panny. So far it seems that 4S is worth it and the better option but wanted to validate that with people who actually have driven both.

Second main question is whether to go Cross Turismo or not. The Panamera has 445 liters of trunk space which is great for me and my family. CT has 530 and the standard - 336 liters both having a frunk. I am wondering how bad the normal Taycan is compared to the Panamera and whether it's a viable option at all. So far it seems I should definitely go to Cross Turismo but it's just that the normal one looks soo much like a 4 door 911 and a bit sexier plus there are tons of well-optioned cars available to pick from at a lower price.

Last question - Real Axle Steering - is it a must-have option or a good-to-have option? What else would be a must-have option. So far I've marked the real axle steering, matrix headlights, 14/18 seats with memory, heads-up display and the glass roof.
Sponsored

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
We have 2 kids (one is still of day care age and another one in 2nd grade). We used to have BMW X5 G05 45e. Now we have Taycan 4S saloon. No problems at all.

About the options - everything is subjective. All my previous cars used to have RAS. The current vehicle doesn’t and it’s totally fine. Taycan is very maneuverable car. It doesn’t feel like the turn radius is big. If I’m not mistaken, it has even less turn radius on paper without RAS than X5 with RAS.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
I came in a different way to you (had a Velar and been years since a sports car) but I settled on a CT4. I actually love the looks of the CT and wanted the extra rigour of the model.

I really debated 4 v 4s and chose the 4 with more options (ended up costing more than a 4s I specc'd up but better options/looks). Decided I didn't need the extra power and I love it on first impressions. I suppose another thing for me, is that I didn't like the red brakes standing out on a relatively stealth looking car. Personal preference though.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
I have the CT 4. Very happy with it. Drive it in sport mode and there is plenty of performance, at least for me. Previously had a Panamera Turbo and not disappointed at all. Prefer the CT - less of them on the road and like the additional room in trunk and headroom, feels more spacious.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
For City driving, little kids, and trips to the sea = CT.
4 vs. 4S you can only decide since they are very different setups.
RAS is a must for daily city driving, parking, turning into tight spaces, and smooth lane changes at speed.

I would recommend starting a build and sharing your build code in the signature so we can always have the latest one as you refine it with inputs. It took me 2 years of driving loaners and looking at every option before settling on the final build. However, the best bet is something for sale that is close to your must have list, so you do not have to wait for it. Our dealer now has many for sale, none CT, as these are not selling well in our market and in the US in general.

OP
OP
Fantasmos

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies and the really useful first-hand info! There is a particular vehicle that I have on my mind. Here's the code, I got the full spec sheet from the dealer and basically added it to the builder:

PRGP6YB2 http://www.porsche-code.com/PRGP6YB2

It is 2021 model at 70k km / 43k miles priced at 95K USD at the moment. Difference between 4S CT and saloon or 4 is basically 5-10k USD.

I am too not big fan of red calipers but that's something easily fixable :)

Porsche Taycan Which Taycan to Choose - 4/4S, Cross Turismo or not Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 14.45.16

StevenB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think you have made a slight mistake in the dimensions of the trunk space. A Taycan saloon has a trunk of 407 liters plus a frunk of 84 liters, a CT has a trunk of 446 litres and the same frunk. So the difference is only 39 litres. For me that is a marginal difference and I feel ( just a personal opinion, no offence) that the saloon looks infinitely better and sportier than the CT. If you don't spec big wheels and the right colour on a CT, it looks a bit like a Hyundai to me. My advice would be to go for a 4S saloon, it should be plenty for 3 people and it is surprisingly practical with the backseats folded. In most of the scenarios where you really need a bigger car like an X5 ( transporting a bike or so), the CT will not be any better than the saloon.

Last edited:

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Interesting discussion. I always liked the CT but ended up with the sedan (saloon in your world). ;)

1- I, too, was shopping used and there are very few CT’s here.
2- I found that used CT’s, when you could find one, were much more expensive than comparable sedans
3- any CT that I found even relatively near my price point was a 4 and I really wanted the 4S
4 and 5- last and perhaps most important points: I also have a Defender (90) so didn’t need the extra utility….and given that I was swapping a 997 for the Taycan, sportier/sleeker was better ;)

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I think you have made a slight mistake in the dimensions of the trunk space. A Taycan saloon has a trunk of 407 liters plus a frunk of 84 liters, a CT has a trunk of 446 litres and the same frunk. So the difference is only 39 litres. For me that is a marginal difference and I feel ( just a personal opinion, no offence) that the salon looks infinitely better and sportier than the CT. If you don't spec big wheels and the right colour on a CT, it looks a bit like a Hyundai to me. My advice would be to go for a 4S saloon, it should be plenty for 3 people and it is surprisingly practical with the backseats folded. In most of the scenarios where you really need a bigger car like an X5 ( transporting a bike or so), the CT will not be any better than the saloon.
Note that the specifications don't really tell the entire story here. The CT/ST boot volume is measured to the bottom edge of the rear window. Because of the shape of the CT/ST there is therefore quite a lot of volume that is omitted in the specifications, but that can in fact be used in practice.

Just make sure to get the partition net so that you don't get a bag launched into your neck at the first stoplight.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
CT for sure will give you more rear headroom and storage. As for looks that is completely dependent on your preferences. Both are more than practical enough for the daily duties. If you were looking for an electric car experience I would go with the 4S. The 4 just doesn’t feel like an electric car to me it’s missing that electric car push. As for must have options the main things for me where RWS, noise insulated glass, adaptive cruise, and non black leather interior.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I think you got it wrong. Did ever had a hatchback car? You remove the cover and you have a huge space.
i bough that tools box the first week of ownership. I was able to put both boxes in the trunk. The salon version is like having a decent trunk space with an opening of a glove box size. But yes the volume space difference is not that big.
Porsche Taycan Which Taycan to Choose - 4/4S, Cross Turismo or not IMG_2543

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let’s be real. How often do you need that space? During the times of owing X5, I’ve never find myself using that boot space.

But when I got taycan and I needed more space to transport something, I just rented a van, which is like 30-40 euros for 3 hours here.

OP
OP
Fantasmos

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
To be frank my girls manage to fill every car we had top to bottom with things while I keep traveling with a cabin sized luggage everywhere…

I need the storage mostly twice a year. However, the Panamera is a bit dark and gloomy in the back. So I am leaning towards the CT mostly because of that extra head room. Should feel spacier. And it is a bit higher. Kinda tired of painting bumpers because of scratches…

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be frank my girls manage to fill every car we had top to bottom with things while I keep traveling with a cabin sized luggage everywhere…

I need the storage mostly twice a year. However, the Panamera is a bit dark and gloomy in the back. So I am leaning towards the CT mostly because of that extra head room. Should feel spacier.
In that case, take the CT. Everyone has own needs and that’s why there are options to choose
Sponsored