Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Curious to hear which factory wheel options people like best, either with looks, or performance. Obviously the Mission-E style wheels seem to be the favorite, followed by the Taycan Exclusive Design option and then maybe the Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels. I see a few Sport Aero Wheels out there as well. Anyone know how much more efficient something like the more closed off wheels are compared to the Mission E? Taycan Exclusive design, Sport Aero, and Taycan Turbo are all some what closed spoke designs so wonder how much more range they give you. Maybe Mission E are lighter though? As heavy as the car is though, maybe it doesn't make a significant difference unless you are pushing it on the track
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Curious to hear which factory wheel options people like best, either with looks, or performance. Obviously the Mission-E style wheels seem to be the favorite, followed by the Taycan Exclusive Design option and then maybe the Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels. I see a few Sport Aero Wheels out there as well. Anyone know how much more efficient something like the more closed off wheels are compared to the Mission E? Taycan Exclusive design, Sport Aero, and Taycan Turbo are all some what closed spoke designs so wonder how much more range they give you. Maybe Mission E are lighter though? As heavy as the car is though, maybe it doesn't make a significant difference unless you are pushing it on the track
There is a significant range penalty as you go from 19 to 20 to 21 because the tire widths are also wider on the larger wheels. The differences in range spec between the 4S, Turbo, & Turbo S are almost entirely due to the stock wheels so that gives you an idea of the range penalty as you go up in size.

Even so, the 21s seem to be most popular, with the Mission E being more popular than the aero design. I think it's a combo of everyone loving the original Mission E concept & the fact that the 21" aero wheels are even more expensive (with the carbon fiber insert version bring CRAZY expensive).

In real life I think the big plastic disk on the 20" sport aero wheels looked cheap. The 20" Taycan Turbo aero wheels look like the classic RS Spyder wheels with some of the inserts filled in to make them more aerodynamic.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
The Range calculation section of the Taycan web page (https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/ but scroll down for the Range calculator) does show all of the different wheel types the the effect it has on [calculated] range.
Strangely, the 20" Turbo Aero are actually fractionally more efficient than the 19" Aero. 21" Mission Es are the worst. But I'm pretty sure that's not why people buy them ;)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Even though I loved the 21" Exclusive Design Wheels, I ended up with the 20" Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels because of the combination of concerns about range and potholes on roads here on the East Coast.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The Range calculation section of the Taycan web page (https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/ but scroll down for the Range calculator) does show all of the different wheel types the the effect it has on [calculated] range.
Strangely, the 20" Turbo Aero are actually fractionally more efficient than the 19" Aero. 21" Mission Es are the worst. But I'm pretty sure that's not why people buy them ;)
Very interesting calculator. 20" wheels give you 6% more range than 21" wheels and are as good or slightly better than 19" wheels. I am a little sorry now that I did not select the 20" wheels (either design) instead of the 19" ones which look fine but a bit plain. Consolation is that I am probably even better prepared for the terrible potholes where I live.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I guess that in the years to come a new aesthetic will develop for aero-efficient closed wheels which will ultimately be more attractive than the ICE-era-reminiscent wheel designs which we still seem to prefer today. Not necessarily the most attractive but two random examples are the Lucid Air and Rimac Concept Two wheels below. Still room for improvement.

Porsche Taycan Which wheels and why.... 1609941948225
Porsche Taycan Which wheels and why.... 1609941970082

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I went with the 20" Turbo Aero. Both for winter and summer sets. Good combination of size, looks, comfort, practicality and range. The more "filled" wheels are a trend on EV's. I'm sure it will grow on us.

My 2nd choice would have been the 19". Contrary to most apparently, I'm not a big fan of the Mission E wheels.

Porsche Taycan Which wheels and why.... Screenshot_20201129-160254_AutoScout24

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I went with the 20" Turbo Aero. Both for winter and summer sets. Good combination of size, looks, comfort, practicality and range. The more "filled" wheels are a trend on EV's. I'm sure it will grow on us.
My 2nd choice would have been the 19". Contrary to most apparently, I'm not a big fan of the Mission E wheels.
I'm with you on both counts. I have the Turbo Aero too, seems the best compromise between a closed face design like the S and Sport Aero and the open face Mission E which just seem to be on every Taycan I've seen. Not that they're bad.. just didn't want to look like another Mission-E homage.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Mission-E wheel was my top choice, based on aesthetics and performance. However, practicality drove my final decision in selecting the 20” Sport Aero wheels. For one, I don’t plan on tracking the Taycan and the wide profile tires on the Sport Aeros are more than ample in the handling department for urban and country roads. But most importantly of all, I’ve been through enough repairs and replacements of performance rims and tires than I care for, thanks to the plethora of Bay Area potholes and severely neglected road conditions.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMHO there are 3 really good choices, in no particular order.
1) Go expensive and get the Mission E wheels
2) Get the most value option with the Turbo Aero Wheels
3) Get the stock 19" wheels to use for Winter (if necessary in your area) and buy aftermarket 20" or 21" wheels

I personally think option 3 is better than option 1, you will end up spending less and getting lighter, higher quality wheels + a Winter set for the price of the Mission Es, but option 2 is what I chose and probably would again. The exception to 3 over 1 might be if you're going Carrera White, in which case the Mission E wheels really complete the look.

I really like the Turbo Aero wheels. Some people have said they have a glassy look to them, but I actually really like that. They look very high quality, moreso than many of the other modern Porsche options found on Carreras and Panameras. They're also super easy to clean.

(Of course, if you love one of the other wheels get those! Just my 2 cents here.)

Last edited:

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
I went for the 20“ Turbo Aero as well. I‘d love some 21“ 3rd party wheel (Vossen, HRE), but made some experiences with them on the Model S. The 21 inch tyres offer little to no side protection, thus you‘ll be adding scratches easily. I didn‘t like the Mission-E a lot, at least not at their price level.

There is some good research available regarding wheel sizes and shapes. 19 inch wheels completely closed like a vinyl disk are the top choice in terms of efficiency, but who‘d go with them? Turbine wheels are not the worst, but typically the gain is partially offset by weight. Open wheels are lighter, but in return have more resistance to the air stream.

However, on the MS, I did not notice massive differences between heavy 19“ and light 21“ wheels. 5% less efficiency is a good benchmark. I‘d opt for light weight, performance, and look :). As said, one faces limits of practability. Thus, 20“ is my personal compromise so far. That said, I am encoutering moments of watching some videos of best looking 21“ wheels :blush:...

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The Mission E wheels were the only ones I considered. I originally wanted the car because of the suicide doors on the prototype. When those were dropped for more traditional doors, I wanted something that was reminiscent of the prototype (the wheels). I am so glad that I have the huge calipers on the 2020. Fortunately I don't need a set of winter tires/rims in Georgia.
Porsche Taycan Which wheels and why.... Taycan004

Hessam001

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What tires do you guys recommend for 22” wheels on a Taycan 4s
Front wheel 22 x 9
Rear wheel 22 x 10.5
I was thinking about going 35 series for the front because I want some extra tire for the pot holes
What do you think of these tires below, do you think it will rub?
Front: 275/35R22 or 265/35R22
Rear: 305/30R22
Sponsored