Who charges their Taycan to 100% SoC at every charge

How much SoC do you take your Taycan to on a regular basis?

• Total voters

Plumley32

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Sport Turismo (arrived.)
Country flag
Hi people.
I thought it would be interesting to find out how many people charge their Taycan fully, ie 100% state of charge at each opportunity they get.
When you buy the car and plug it in it will always charge to 100%, so that's the factory default.
However there has been a lot of discussion, and even in the Porsche App pre heat ability it suggests charging to 85% SoC.
I myself plug my Taycan onto charge every night so I know if I have to make any long journeys the next day I will not need to use/bother with public charging.
There is suggestions that 100% SoC is not actually 100% of battery capacity and that a buffer is built into the car to protect the battery.
So please comment and tick the poll box for what you do.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi people.
I thought it would be interesting to find out how many people charge their Taycan fully, ie 100% state of charge at each opportunity they get.
When you buy the car and plug it in it will always charge to 100%, so that's the factory default.
However there has been a lot of discussion, and even in the Porsche App pre heat ability it suggests charging to 85% SoC.
I myself plug my Taycan onto charge every night so I know if I have to make any long journeys the next day I will not need to use/bother with public charging.
There is suggestions that 100% SoC is not actually 100% of battery capacity and that a buffer is built into the car to protect the battery.
So please comment and tick the poll box for what you do.
I studied batteries a bit before buying an EV and certainly all the engineering advice is to only charge to 100% just before you need the car for a long journey, which makes sense. It is the same for my plug in hybrid - advice to only fully charge it just before use, easily arranged in both my plug in and the Taycan, they have a setting for it.

I normally charge to around 80%, which has been plenty for every day so far except two long journeys where I charged to 100% as advised.

How much battery deterioration one may suffer by leaving it at 100% a lot of the time I have no idea, but I decided that if it is “any“ it would be daft to do it.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Tesla Bjorn and Kyle from Out of Spec have analysed this to death.
I have watched loads of stuff.
Batteries like ours like being around 50%.
I do low mileage and hover between 25 and 60.
If that’s all you need then just charge to that.
Never charge to 100 unless you need it immediately as said above.
Anything in between just charge as you need to.
This assumes home charging of course.
If you have to faff about with a public DC charger then you might want to stuff a bit more in to save you going back sooner.
If you stored a Taycan then 50% is recommended.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unless you need *all* of the range - brimming an EV to 100% on a daily basis is a waste of time and detrimental to long term battery health, if it’s just going to sit around there at a high SoC.

If you need all the range by all means go to 100% AND use it.

Most typically these sorts of threads (no specific offence intended towards the OP) are for folks who have just gotten or this is their first EV and the mentality / convention / learned behaviour (call it what you will) is from filling up the tank in a petrol/gas or diesel vehicle.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
One of these decades there will be enough Level 3 (or higher?) chargers on the road so that we won't have to bother charging to/near full capacity for and during long trips.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
One of these decades there will be enough Level 3 (or higher?) chargers on the road so that we won't have to bother charging to/near full capacity for and during long trips.
I think we are not far away in NL B D AU CH en also F is getting there . Sometimes it may even be faster te start with 85% and arrive with a lower SOC at a charger when only one charge stop is needed (unless 100% prevents that stop). And at high charging speeds 15 % is really fast. It may not make a big difference on longer trips. But I still do charge to 100% and pre condition on longer trips.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
One other thought about long trip charging. Don’t know where to post it elsewhere. PIRM wanted me to make an extra stop because I wouldn’t make it home with 15% soc. At home I don’t need that so I lowered it a bit and could make it without charging. Some of the used battery would have been used to precondition the battery. So by skipping the last charge stop and thus not needing preconditioning for fast charging I could easily make it home. In another occasion it happened that my SOC at arrival was just under the limit I had set, it added a charge stop and started preconditioning because I was 15 minutes away from that charger. And by doing so my SoC went down more quickly at the end making it necessary to charge anyway. If I had noticed in time and slowed down a bit and set SOC at arrival low or maybe even if I had stopped navigation I would have made it without problems

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
I charge to 85%. I don’t really need that during the week so I may not even plug in for a few days. On the weekends having 85 is really handy, not always needed But allows me to not worry about range.

One thing that is annoying is lack of consistent guidance. When I first started researching (mostly on this forum) I heard people say never 100%, charge to 95%, then 90%, then 85%, and now it seems to be 80% but really it’s best to keep it around 50%. I know there is impact depending on what you do. What is that impact though? What is the difference between 85 and 80 or 95 and 80?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It’s also how fast you charge, AC or DC, exposure to maximum and minimum temps, power demand (burst for launch controls) minimum charge (how often do you get <20% SoC)

in an ideal situation one should stay between 45-55% :D and even then there will be wear.
In my understanding charging habits will influence about 5-10% degradation. Every battery degrades. I try to stick to >20% and <85% always on 11kW AC, when needed DC <200kW (safe charging)
That’s the best I’m prepared to do. Will it help? I dunno.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One thing that is annoying is lack of consistent guidance. When I first started researching (mostly on this forum) I heard people say never 100%, charge to 95%, then 90%, then 85%, and now it seems to be 80% but really it’s best to keep it around 50%. I know there is impact depending on what you do. What is that impact though? What is the difference between 85 and 80 or 95 and 80?
Repeatedly charging to brimful AND allowing the battery to stay at the very high end of SoC for long periods (many days / weeks / longer) is what’s relatively detrimental to long term battery health.

There’s no problem going to 100% if you’re on a road trip or charge and use it up a few hours later.

The “50%” SoC figure is often quoted as the ideal for very, very, very long term storage for these types of batteries. Think months to years.

Conversely try to avoid a very low SoC (generally less than 10%) for extended periods (days /weeks / longer). On a road trip, again it’s generally no bother as long as you charge. It’s staying there that’s the issue.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I charge to 85%. I don’t really need that during the week so I may not even plug in for a few days. On the weekends having 85 is really handy, not always needed But allows me to not worry about range.

This portion of the manual is why you see different numbers discussed. 80, 85, and 100% are specifically called out.

Porsche Taycan Who charges their Taycan to 100% SoC at every charge 43FAE9C1-EAC3-4CF4-97FB-5AB24D606840

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I will charge to 80% or 85% depending if that will fit into my cheap electricity window and then use it for the week or until it gets less than 25%. If I’m going for a decent run I’ll make sure it’s charged to 85%, even if that’s a couple of nights charging in the cheap window. I think I’ve maybe hit 100% once when I knew I needed the miles and there was a destination charger when I got there for a (very slow!), top up.

Reactions: B61

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I charge to 85% and usually will plug it in if it is below 50%. I prefer not going lower, just in case for a day I forget to charge, or we make last minute plans to have a longer drive the day of

Will only charge to 100% the night before if I know I'm going to be driving over 150 miles in a day. Yes, 85% charge should be sufficient for that as well but this allows for flexibility in case of a change in plans. For example, we occasionally drive to my wife's parents house to visit for the day, which is a 150 mile round trip. Charging to 100% in this circumstance leaves a lot of room on the table to drive around once we get there to dinner, or if for example we forget something and need to double back
Sponsored