Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I live near the top of a decent hill with ~700 ft descent over a couple miles to get down to town. I usually charge to 85% overnight, and because of the mostly downhill ride, I actually get into town at 86%-87% before getting on the Freeway and start to eat into the battery. Does anyone know what happens if I was planning for a long road trip and wanted to charge up to 100% overnight - would regenerative braking try to charge above 100%, or is the braking logic smart enough to know not to charge, and instead use the caliper brakes until the battery is <100%?
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I live near the top of a decent hill with ~700 ft descent over a couple miles to get down to town. I usually charge to 85% overnight, and because of the mostly downhill ride, I actually get into town at 86%-87% before getting on the Freeway and start to eat into the battery. Does anyone know what happens if I was planning for a long road trip and wanted to charge up to 100% overnight - would regenerative braking try to charge above 100%, or is the braking logic smart enough to know not to charge, and instead use the caliper brakes until the battery is <100%?
Recup is very limited with 100% charging. You have 2 options:

1. Charge to 95% and take the "free" recup energy.
2. Charge to 100% and heat up the friction breaks a bit.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
there is no regen when at very high SOC levels, there is no place to put the kw gained by regen.

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe out of the main topic but , do you think when going downhill is it better to regen by applying the brake gently or turn on the actual regen ? I’ve always wondered..

OP
OP
Squiden

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks everyone! That was my assumption, but didn't know in-practice how Porsche set the system up.

In terms of regen, I usually try to use the auto-regen when possible - while I think they are equally efficient, the "slower" regen will be easier on the battery and create less heating in the system, so overall a bit healthier for the battery (albeit, likely in the noise compared to the major charging cycles).

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
try it! there is always regen at 100% but way less. it could get to 101% as the shown SoC is only a calculated net value, not comparable with Tesla. Be also aware that (at least my) Taycan have a short non-regen brake cleaning timespan every morning.
Sponsored