Who charges their Taycan to 100% SoC at every charge

How much SoC do you take your Taycan to on a regular basis?

• Total voters

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
This portion of the manual is why you see different numbers discussed. 80, 85, and 100% are specifically called out.

43FAE9C1-EAC3-4CF4-97FB-5AB24D606840.jpeg
Very interesting tidbit regarding NOT immediately using range mode if ambient temp >95 degrees and charging with DC over 150 kW.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Very interesting tidbit regarding NOT immediately using range mode if ambient temp >95 degrees and charging with DC over 150 kW.
I’ve also found that range mode seems a little pointless? When cruising on the motorway I’ve found my car goes into a lower suspension mode automatically and even gives me auto-regen when using cruise if it can get some regen out of the gradient?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I’ve also found that range mode seems a little pointless? When cruising on the motorway I’ve found my car goes into a lower suspension mode automatically and even gives me auto-regen when using cruise if it can get some regen out of the gradient?
Normal mode at highway speed is level -1, sport plus and range are -2. It’s a bit lower. However I also find it a bit more uncomfortable and the effect on range is minimal so I don’t use it I usually drive in normale mode for longer trips.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
That is because in range mode the vents are closed for better aerodynamics. Stupid it allows the vents to close even when the battery needs more cooling after fast charging.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Normal mode at highway speed is level -1, sport plus and range are -2. It’s a bit lower. However I also find it a bit more uncomfortable and the effect on range is minimal so I don’t use it I usually drive in normale mode for longer trips.
Yeah I should have added that, exactly. Range mode is even lower and is far too uncomfortable for a nice highway cruise. SportPlus I get as if you’re in that then you are focusing and doing some fast driving.

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model X Plaid, Odyssey
Country flag
Coming from a Tesla to this car, I treat the charging more like a gas car - I fill it when it's empty and take it to 100% (since it's the default). If Porsche wanted the car to charge daily to 80 or 85%, they should have made it WAY easier to do so.

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I always charge to 100%, and almost always with a public DC charger.

It's rare that I park the car for long periods (1 week+) with the battery pegged at 100%, but it has happened on a few occasions when I was out of town.

This has been my standard operating procedure for nearly two years with no noticeable degradation in battery range. My lease term is 3.5 years and I'm betting the battery will be just fine until the end of the term.

As Miami Sunshine says above:

IIf Porsche wanted the car to charge daily to 80 or 85%, they should have made it WAY easier to do so.

Reactions: B61

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Usually charge to 80% on AC, or 100% if I am going on a long trip the following day. Try to charge to 80% max on DC if I am in the middle of a trip. All to keep the battery in good condition.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I only use AC 7kw charging at home and charge from around 20/30% up to anything from 80 to 95% and occasionally to 100% purely as and when I feel like it.

To be honest Porsche only giving me 200miles range and then telling me only to charge it to 160miles range is a bit of a piss-take!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I found it scary that this information is buried in the user manual. To me it essentially says "We allow you to do something bad for the battery just so you can eek out a few extra miles range (by us limiting the cooling of the battery, letting the battery toast itself a little). We suggest you don't do this, but will not pop up any warnings in the car in case you didn't read the user manual cover to cover. Should your battery degrade due to this, you have been warned, so it's not on us."

This should have been a solved in car's software, when using range mode with battery too hot, either cool it anyways, or at least present a warning and a choice to the user - "would you like a few more miles at a cost of increased battery degradation?" - until the user chooses Yes, the range estimate should reflect the necessary cooling.

Last edited:

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I found it scary that this information is buried in the user manual. To me it essentially says "We allow you to do something bad for the battery just so you can eek out a few extra miles range (by us limiting the cooling of the battery, letting the battery toast itself a little). We suggest you don't do this, but will not pop up any warnings in the car in case you didn't read the user manual cover to cover. Should your battery degrade due to this, you have been warned, so it's not on us."

This should have been a solved in car's software, when using range mode with battery too hot, either cool it anyways, or at least present a warning and a choice to the user - "would you like a few more miles at a cost of increased battery degradation?" - until the user chooses Yes, the range estimate should reflect the necessary cooling.
Valid point(s). It's >100 degrees regularly in the summer where I live....but thankfully I've never gotten the local EA charger to deliver over 120kW (even though it's labeled 350kW). Nonetheless, I will refrain from range mode regardless after using DC in the future...which will be who knows when as they replaced the local EA chargers a couple months ago but they shockingly remain nonfunctional. Home solar power and tesla batteries to the rescue.

PaulAndrei

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 2022 / Cayenne S 2022
Country flag
Tesla Bjorn and Kyle from Out of Spec have analysed this to death.
I have watched loads of stuff.
Batteries like ours like being around 50%.
I do low mileage and hover between 25 and 60.
If that’s all you need then just charge to that.
Never charge to 100 unless you need it immediately as said above.
Anything in between just charge as you need to.
This assumes home charging of course.
If you have to faff about with a public DC charger then you might want to stuff a bit more in to save you going back sooner.
If you stored a Taycan then 50% is recommended.
Hey there,

Qq: if 80% charge lasts me the whole week, until it gets to 30% charge and after it reaches this 30% (or sometimes 20%) I plug it in one or twice per week to reach ~80% charge instead of plugging it in every night after I drive 10-15 Km per day or don’t even drive it at all - would this habit ruin my battery faster? Or it would help me preserve it more?
I typically charge the battery to ~80% only when it goes at 30% SOC or below. Which happens once or twice per week. Like this I think and hope that I’m preserving the battery health as best as I can.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,
Paul

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hey there,

Qq: if 80% charge lasts me the whole week, until it gets to 30% charge and after it reaches this 30% (or sometimes 20%) I plug it in one or twice per week to reach ~80% charge instead of plugging it in every night after I drive 10-15 Km per day or don’t even drive it at all - would this habit ruin my battery faster? Or it would help me preserve it more?
I typically charge the battery to ~80% only when it goes at 30% SOC or below. Which happens once or twice per week. Like this I think and hope that I’m preserving the battery health as best as I can.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,
Paul
I think on here, we generally agreed that the most authorative post on the subject was from Squiden and his work with satellite batteries.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-best-practices.7081/post-101651

Last edited:

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Ever wonder why cell phone batteries go to shit after only 2-3 years and need replacing or a new phone? its because you always charge your phone to 100%. Nobody is out there unplugging their phone when it hits 85-90% (although apple "smart charging" somewhat will stop your phone at 80-90% sometimes...)

So if you dont mind shortening your battery life because you need that extra 25 miles of range, then by all means charge to 100% everyday. whatevs. just dont expect anyone on this forum to buy your car if you ever decide to sell it in a few years.
Sponsored