Why do people want SUVs rather than estate cars?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So a mix of sedan, SUV and wagon. The main reason for the SUVs is that in the US, there aren't options for estates.
Can't you still get the ones with wooden inlay door panels?
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know I am not a typical car person but whilst accepting the reality of the popularity of SUVs I am completely baffled by the total lack of a rational reason for it.

The only objective comparison I have experience of was a colleague, also a racing car designer, who had a BMW company car.
He is a keen off-road cyclist and went out every lunch time for a quick thrash along the Ridgeway.

Anyway he had had a 5-series estate which suited his life style well for a long time but got persuaded by the BMW marketing people to get a X5 next - the cars were sold on as ex-demonstrators at 3-6 months old and the X5 was more fashionable hence easier to sell on.

Anyway he described it as an inverse-Tardis - for Dr Who fans to understand.

The X5 needed the front wheel removing to fit his ’bike whereas the 5-series estate did not.

The X5 was noisier, slower, handled less well, used more fuel, had a higher load floor to lift into and a less usable shape to the load volume.

He didn’t find the higher viewing angle - its only point of superiority - to be worth it being so comprehensively worse in every other way. He went back to a 5-series estate at the next change of course.

The differences he found are all to be expected technically, except perhaps the lack of utility for him of the load space shape.

SUVs are heavier, less aerodynamic and have a higher centre of gravity so will always be worse in dynamics and efficiency.

Is it just fashion and/or trendy styling or are people just ill informed about the shortcomings?

A shame, and a bit silly/pitiful if it is just image…
There's some great partridge shooting around your neck of the woods Frank. Get involved and get yourself a Range Rover or something. Room for dogs, wellies, woodland creatures and assorted tweed clothing. You won't get stuck either, unless you leave your summer road tyres on.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I wouldn’t drive a Range Rover these days. You either have to be a scumbag, drug Lord, rapper or YouTube star. It has lost all the classy appeal it used to have.
It was classy because it was driven by people coming from money and used as it was intended. Now it’s just a toy to show off your apparent economical wealth. it’s a no go to me.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
…when I first glanced at your post, I thought your were a prolific SUV owner with an addiction of owning a total of 68 SUV’s 😂
My husband already accuses me of buying new cars too often... 🤣

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Can't you still get the ones with wooden inlay door panels?
I have seen new Jeep Grand Wagoneers with the wood panels, so I suppose you can have one that way if you wanted to pay for it. Funnily enough, my Dad had a gigantic 1976 Ford Country Squire when I was young (late 70's early 80's) and it did indeed have the fake wood paneling.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
For me that was the information which convinced me it was probably an image thing.

It isn’t just estate cars though, normal cars are being superceded by technically inferior small SUVs and crossovers because of customer demand.
Totally crazy. I get the fashion thing but not at a cost of so much. I also understand the utility of towing stuff but thats not exclusive to SUV or off road capability if you live down an unmade road, in the hills or on a farm etc. But other than that a good estate like the Volvos will be sorely missed. I'm very pleased with my ST, space, comfort and handling are phenomenal and as I have said before the only gripe I have is the width for uk roads but even then it's just about manageable, but I would love a Taycan but 4ins,100mm narrower.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Totally crazy. I get the fashion thing but not at a cost of so much. I also understand the utility of towing stuff but thats not exclusive to SUV or off road capability if you live down an unmade road, in the hills or on a farm etc. But other than that a good estate like the Volvos will be sorely missed. I'm very pleased with my ST, space, comfort and handling are phenomenal and as I have said before the only gripe I have is the width for uk roads but even then it's just about manageable, but I would love a Taycan but 4ins,100mm narrower.
My brother’s farm is 1 mile down a farm track. Having the high ”gravel” mode and extra bump travel was one reason I stuck with the cross turismo rather than changing to a sport turismo. Also the wheels - I like the 21” CT wheels better than any other wheels available on the Taycan and this just about cancels my dislike of the plastic cladding on the wheelarches - though this may be worthwhile protection.

It is quite a contrast seeing 7 Range Rovers and a Taycan CT in a field ;)

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
SUV’s are more resilient to curbs and pot holes and steep driveway ramps.

people have become accustomed to not having to pay attention or stress over these things.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Station. Wagons. Are. Ugly. Period.

Yeah, the word “period” with a period after it.
For emphasis.

I prefer to surround myself with things that are beautiful.
That’s why my house is full of mirrors. 🙃

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Station. Wagons. Are. Ugly. Period.
The vast faux wood panelled North American ones are rather.

The estate cars in the UK (and the rest of Europe) are, or were, pretty nice which is why I regret, and am surprised by, their demise.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
We have one because my wife needs to carpool a bunch of kids and she wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan.
Lol, when we had kids my wife said the same thing, until I rented her one. We got one almost instantly. Few years later, she started saying “maybe I want an SUV”, so I rented an SUV for 2 weeks, we bought a new minivan instead. Kids grew up, she drove Model S’es for 7 years, now a Q8 eTron. We rented a minivan to move my son this past week, my wife goes, “when they make an electric minivan, I want one of those next”. Wives change their minds.

As to why she likes an SUV over a car now (yes, that includes estate cars @f1eng ), she likes the higher sitting, both for driving but also when getting in an out of the car, especially when driving any older people like her parents. She also likes more spacious back seat for all adult passengers. The rear cargo apace is also a bit taller, which she likes when transporting things like plants. Notice that a minivan ticks all of the above but also gives an even higher interior, so that explains why she’s thinking am minivan next.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn’t drive a Range Rover these days. You either have to be a scumbag, drug Lord, rapper or YouTube star. It has lost all the classy appeal it used to have.
It was classy because it was driven by people coming from money and used as it was intended. Now it’s just a toy to show off your apparent economical wealth. it’s a no go to me.
Bit rich coming from this forum. Porsches aren't exactly utilitarian, are they? Or cheap and arguably a bit showy.

Porsche Taycan Why do people want SUVs rather than estate cars? 1696070278312

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
This is a minivan (in English :))
IMG_0261.jpeg

I laughed a lot when I realised what the American use of the word was!
Nice example of one, early flat roof with a vent 🤓