Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
So, i thought I’d have another go at using the PCM to control the charge based on everything I’ve read. I now think my car is officially taking the p&ss out of me, or the software is corrupt.

Can anyone explain this?
Charge at 63%. Combo of timer/profile covering the following. Min charge set to 40% so wouldn’t start early.
Max charge set to 90%. 27% is achievable in 4 hours on my car as the smaller battery. Preferred timer set to 1230-0430am. Departure set for 730am. No pre warm selected.

Shot of my electricity usage that night.

FB00-FED0-3-C67-4328-BC2-D-12403-DBE4-FD9.png

527-E80-BF-0-C47-4-ED1-B92-F-E63-F10979317.png

Car started charging at midnight. Stopped at 1230am. Then started charging at 430am. Brilliant. Literally managed to avoid all my cheap electric hours!

I unplugged it at 630am ish when realised it was charging.

All worked fine pre my software update. Could it be corrupt?
Set your departure time as 04.30. That'll work.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Set your departure time as 04.30. That'll work.
That’s what I’ve done tonight so let’s see what happens. This said though why did it do what it did? If you set a charging preference time for 1230-0430 why did it avoid this time slot? Doesn’t make any sense!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong in the profile or timer.

Which charger are you using - Porsche or other brand? I believe you are using your Podpoint on a 13A 3 pin plug - right?

Not ideal for home charging and worthwhile to revisit having a 32A feed from your fuse box to get the most from your single supply (twice the output and half the time).

If your Podpoint has a max rating of 3.2kW then clearly you are limited to the slowest possible charge and stuck on a 13A 3 pin connector.

Therefore if you repeat your test with the PMCC which I think you also have you will achieve the same charging rate as your Podpoint using the 13A 3 pin plug to connect to your supply.

Potentially there is an incompatibility (firmware update needed on your charger?) as the car controls the charging process and not the charger. This incompatibility may have arisen following the software upgrade to your car.

It would be worthwhile to repeat the same test using either charger on the same supply connector. My guess is it will work as desired on the PMCC.

Setting your departure time to 04:30 will not make any difference - illogical to think otherwise.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That’s what I’ve done tonight so let’s see what happens. This said though why did it do what it did? If you set a charging preference time for 1230-0430 why did it avoid this time slot? Doesn’t make any sense!
How did this work out for you. It certainly looked from your photo that the departure timer complete overtook the charging and avoided charging at your preferred times. It is a mystery.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which charger are you using - Porsche or other brand? I believe you are using your Podpoint on a 13A 3 pin plug - right?
If you look at the shot of the charging, the time slots are ½ hour so looks like the supply is close to 7.2 kW. So there probably is a 32 amp supply.
If there is no timer settings on the charger, to avoid the preferred times, it is just a relay that will switch on power, when the car demands it. In my view changing the charger will not change anything if it all is in working order.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Supply looks to peak at 3.6kW (look again) - that’s 13A on a 3 pin UK plug.

Regardless of the glacially slow charging possibilities if the above is correct then it is irrelevant to the underlying issue.

I think this particular PodPoint has a (new) compatibility issue with the Taycan and may need a firmware update.

It would take 10 mins to grab the PMCC, connect the 13A plug, plug it in, power on and connect to the car and do a basic test.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
So whilst I disagreed with Nickj about this just working with a profile, now I have the same problem :)

Profile and Timer set properly to do the following:

Location based PROFILE called @home
  • Preferred charging times 20:00 to 07:00
TIMER set to 80%
  • on Mon-Fri at 08:00 with heating of the car inside unchecked
  • on Sat-Sun at 09:00 with heating of the car inside unchecked

What happened?

Tuesday night: Plugged in at 72% and did not charge at all for the entire night.
Yesterday night: (Checked the pre-heating to change something). Plugged in at 64% and then the car charged from 19:00 to 20:00 (outside of the time it should) and then again from 06:00 to 07:00 (as it should) and finally briefly just before 08:00 (which was most probably to heat the car).

Weird....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So whilst I disagreed with Nickj about this just working with a profile, now I have the same problem :)

Profile and Timer set properly to do the following:

Location based PROFILE called @home
  • Preferred charging times 20:00 to 07:00
TIMER set to 80%
  • on Mon-Fri at 08:00 with heating of the car inside unchecked
  • on Sat-Sun at 09:00 with heating of the car inside unchecked

What happened?

Tuesday night: Plugged in at 72% and did not charge at all for the entire night.
Yesterday night: (Checked the pre-heating to change something). Plugged in at 64% and then the car charged from 19:00 to 20:00 (outside of the time it should) and then again from 06:00 to 07:00 (as it should) and finally briefly just before 08:00 (which was most probably to heat the car).

Weird....
Weird indeed but what make and model of charger do you have and what MY is your car?

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag

Regardless of the glacially slow charging possibilities if the above is correct then it is irrelevant to the underlying issue.

I think this particular PodPoint has a (new) compatibility issue with the Taycan and may need a firmware update.

It would take 10 mins to grab the PMCC, connect the 13A plug, plug it in, power on and connect to the car and do a basic test.
Nope, as Scandinavian says they are 30 min slots, so 3.6 x2 is 7.2kwh. I have a podpoint that is wired in as part of the process presumably to a 32amp board to allow 7kwh. If I used the Pmcc I wound only be getting the glacially slow 3kwh as you’ve stated so not really an option.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nope, as Scandinavian says they are 30 min slots, so 3.6 x2 is 7.2kwh. I have a podpoint that is wired in as part of the process presumably to a 32amp board to allow 7kwh. If I used the Pmcc I wound only be getting the glacially slow 3kwh as you’ve stated so not really an option.
Ok - sorry not familiar with PodPoint displays. It would help if the physical environment we’re all endeavouring to troubleshoot is clarified.

If you have a PMCC and have a 32A supply (as I have - single phase to the house and a dedicated 32A run to the charger) you will get 7.4kW. Why do you think you won’t as it isn’t true?

If you are confirming you have a 32A supply from your main board then you will get 7.4kW. What cable are you using to connect that supply to the input of your charger (if 16A rated then that might explain something)?

A picture would help if possible.

I don’t understand why you would choose to use your PMCC or PMC+ over and above another (potentially non-compatible) charger for home use (accept you have multiple homes etc but park that for now).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a bit confusing to look at his picture but it actually shows half hour consumption ie kWh! Not the power level in kW! Look again!

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What setup do you have - charger model, supply 13A, 32A, other?
Standard Porsche charger for now with 32A supply.

Still waiting for Zappi to arrive.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So for those of us using PMCC (or PMC+) on a single phase 32A supply to the charger (with the correct cables etc) we are all happy bunnies and profiles and timers work as intended. Interesting and tells its own story.
Sponsored