SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Weird indeed but what make and model of charger do you have and what MY is your car?
2021 T4S and it is the PMCC (free with the car). Took a bad screen shot of it this morning as times not visible but was 19h-20h and 06h-07h and then a small blip before 08h to warm up the car.

I keep thinking it is a daylights saving time issue but then it would be consistently wrong -- which it is not. One hour too early in the evening and right on in the morning.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 08.56.43
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Same setup as me. When the charger is connected and you connect to the charger portal where does the charger get its time from - the car, network, other?

Time zones are weird for sure and worst on My Porsche where my charge start and end times displayed never align with the actual times and I can't figure out why. All I'm assured off is that charging occurs between the parameters I set.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
How did this work out for you. It certainly looked from your photo that the departure timer complete overtook the charging and avoided charging at your preferred times. It is a mystery.
Not sure yet. For some reason my electric meter readings are always a day behind so can’t see what electric used and when until tomorrow. The car charged to 90% but I was showing £2 on my electric meter and it only put in 27kw, so around £1.35. Normally at about 35p in the morning with no charging, so I think it’s charged outside of the cheap rate.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
@W1NGE I hear you…. Reason I am now so fanatical about saving energy you know save the planet :) is that I put solar panels on my roof. So whilst they are not enough to charge a car at 32A I am now fanatical on using power as efficiently and cheaply as possible.

All my incoming power is now solar (me) and hydro (utility) and I drive an electric car so 100% carbon neutral. Oh wait. Maybe building the car caused some CO2., mining for the battery raw materials a fair amount as well. Hmm same with solar panels….

Maybe theory a little bit flawed!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
@W1NGE I hear you…. Reason I am now so fanatical about saving energy you know save the planet :) is that I put solar panels on my roof. So whilst they are not enough to charge a car at 32A I am now fanatical on using power as efficiently and cheaply as possible.

All my incoming power is now solar (me) and hydro (utility) and I drive an electric car so 100% carbon neutral. Oh wait. Maybe building the car caused some CO2., mining for the battery raw materials a fair amount as well. Hmm same with solar panels….

Maybe theory a little bit flawed!
Well and truly flawed but at least your heart is in the right place!

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’m also using solar and a TOU plan. Charging outside of 1-5am costs me 3x. The point should be we’ve paid 100-200k for a car that can’t perform what should be a simple task for an EV. Frankly it’s pathetic.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m also using solar and a TOU plan. Charging outside of 1-5am costs me 3x. The point should be we’ve paid 100-200k for a car that can’t perform what should be a simple task for an EV. Frankly it’s pathetic.
Actually, for some it performs precisely as it says on the tin. My car charges (and stops) precisely when I tell it so it's not all bad.

Agree the process could be simplified.

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a very similar problem as Nickj. I had been happily charging between 00.30 and 04.30 on the Octopus tariff, using a Profile for my home location(but no timer). Last week the car had the software update and now my overnight charging scheme doesn't work anymore. I use the Porsche mobile charger. I read all through the thread and am not sure if Nickj ever got a solution to the problem. Anyone have an answer?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Use a profile + departure timer. Disable any other timers / profiles which may conflict.

Check that what you had previously hasn't been reset post the software update(s).

I have PMCC, all updates and no issues charging between 00:00 and 07:00 to 85% (my off peak period).

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? Screenshot_20210427-204946_Connect

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? Screenshot_20210427-205055_Connect

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I have a very similar problem as Nickj. I had been happily charging between 00.30 and 04.30 on the Octopus tariff, using a Profile for my home location(but no timer). Last week the car had the software update and now my overnight charging scheme doesn't work anymore. I use the Porsche mobile charger. I read all through the thread and am not sure if Nickj ever got a solution to the problem. Anyone have an answer?
No, it’s basically impossible to get the timers/ profiles to work with in my case the pod point and only charge between 0030-0430 post software update. I gave up trying as no combination would work. I now just use the pod point timer and disable the Porsche profile/timers. It’s a bit rubbish and the Porsche app shows as charging error but I know it will charge from 0030-0430 and this is all I want.

W1nge suggested trying the Porsche charger but I don’t have a 32a socket installed so would only charge at 3kwh or whatever the snail rate is so not even an option to test for me, so I can’t help on the Porsche charger issue.

My main annoyance is it was fine for months just using the profile, then impossible post software update.

The other strange thing you may want to check is literally the day after my software update my smart meter started reading incorrectly. Monitored it for a while, and needed octopus to reset the metre to get it to show correct reading. Odd one, but literally happened the day after software update. No idea why.

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tried using the settings identical to those provided by W1nge (thanks), except that my preferred charging time is 00.30 to 04.30. I am sure this is how it should work. This method is what the manual implies and how the Youtube videos on the subject advise.

However, it does not now work my car. It used to work (both with Timer + Profile, and just with the Profile). Now, post Software update it no longer works.

Last night it charged a bit, but not at all during my preferred charging period. Like Nickj, I am at loss and annoyed that this key and simple function seems to have been broken during the update

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The other strange thing you may want to check is literally the day after my software update my smart meter started reading incorrectly. Monitored it for a while, and needed octopus to reset the metre to get it to show correct reading. Odd one, but literally happened the day after software update. No idea why.
Thanks Nickj. I checked my Octopus Smart meter and it seems ok.