Will there be a Taycan coupe and/or convertible any time soon

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Stefan Weckbach from Porsche last spring said they would consider a coupe and convertible version assuming there is sufficient demand, but after that there's been no further "official" updates on whether this is actually happening.

Given that Taycan is now fairly established in the model lineup, I would have thought that it is still on the table. Views welcome!
Sponsored

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Interesting! So you think something between the Cayman en 911 price wise?

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wouldn't dare speculating about Porsche's pricing strategy.

Timing wise, it would be a nice gift to loyal Taycan customers to have a convertible/couple launch coinciding with the upcoming refresh or worst case with the 2.0 version in 2027.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My guess is they will look at the ratio of CT/ST versions with saloon sales and then look at how popular the Boxter EV is.
They are already working on it and since a convertible is a big engineering overhead I suspect they won't do it if the biggest selling Taycan is the estate car. Very dificult to amortise the engineering cost.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My guess is they will look at the ratio of CT/ST versions with saloon sales and then look at how popular the Boxter EV is.
They are already working on it and since a convertible is a big engineering overhead I suspect they won't do it if the biggest selling Taycan is the estate car. Very dificult to amortise the engineering cost.
Then I am cautiously optimistic since I am seeing proportionally more CT/ST’s nowadays, both in UK and abroad.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then I am cautiously optimistic since I am seeing proportionally more CT/ST’s nowadays, both in UK and abroad.
My expectation was the opposite, if most customers want an estate car rather than saloon a convertible may not sell well enough at a customer expected price to recoup overhead.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My expectation was the opposite, if most customers want an estate car rather than saloon a convertible may not sell well enough at a customer expected price to recoup overhead.
fair argument. Perhaps a coupe/convertible will add a new customer group who don't consider the saloon “exotic” enough.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
fair argument. Perhaps a coupe/convertible will add a new customer group who don't consider the saloon “exotic” enough.
I have owned a convertible for most of my adult life but every time I tried a 4 seat version the back seats were not really usable with the roof down, so I have stuck to 2-seater convertibles.

I think if there is a market for a convertible it would be a boxter.
For me though, since I see my convertible as a fun car, I prefer a non-turbocharged high revving multi cylinder engine with 3 pedals and a 6 speed ‘box not an EV. I don’t want a noisy saloon or estate but I don’t want a quiet sports car or faux sound.

I have pretty well zero interest in an EV sportscar until we have light batteries, ie probably not in my lifetime…

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
Porsche has already described the EV journey. Next in line is the Macan EV followed by the Boxster/Cayman platform. No concrete word on when / if the Cayenne will go full EV or if the Panamera will go full EV or whether future Taycan variants will fill that niche. That's in in a nutshell between now and 2030.

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Yes there will be! Our SA at my local dealer said Porsche aims to be 80% electric by 2030. I suspect they'll save the best for last...the 911! Can you imagine that car as a sub 4000lb electric beast? I sure can! I wish my wife would stop asking if the various models are the dealership are electric! "They only have one fully electric model here sweetheart, it's the Taycan!" :)

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
They're already making the boxer electric, so theyre not gonna cannibalize demand for a convertible by making the caycan one. I honestly dont see it working out as one either, design wise.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An Panamera EV has all but been confirmed – something I find a bit surprising given the similarity to the Taycan.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-panamera-and-taycan-lead-porsches-ev-future
Looks like it is going to be a VW platform with Porsche specific parts, probably available as with Bentley and Audi specific parts too, their normal practice.

This may mean our Taycan is the last all Porsche led 4 door EV development and subsequently only the sports cars will be all Porsche, as it was pre-Taycan.

It will be difficult to distinguish between the sports cars IMO.

The 718 is the same size as 911s used to be and the 911 has got B-I-G so isn’t really a 911 in the classic mould at all any more IMO.

If I were in the market for a 911 sort of car, as I was 25 years ago, I see a Cayman/Boxter as that sort of car now, not a 911.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
If I were in the market for a 911 sort of car, as I was 25 years ago, I see a Cayman/Boxter as that sort of car now, not a 911.
Agreed on all your points. I am – at least nominally – on the list for the new 718 EV. But I doubt it will meet my road-trip needs. What I really want is a 2-door Taycan – maybe 500 mm shorter – but still with the decent boot: that's the perfect car for my needs – and probably won't ever appear.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed on all your points. I am – at least nominally – on the list for the new 718 EV. But I doubt it will meet my road-trip needs. What I really want is a 2-door Taycan – maybe 500 mm shorter – but still with the decent boot: that's the perfect car for my needs – and probably won't ever appear.
I’m lucky the Taycan CT is pretty well perfect for me, just a bit wide.
My sports car “wants” don’t exist in modern sports cars, I prefer classics pre-driver over-ride systems and flappy paddle gearboxes and it is the one place I appreciate engine noise.
Sponsored