Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Echoing that this isn't just an EV/Taycan/Porsche issue. Have had many cars over the years with PCMs or equivalent systems reboot, including two different X5s that needed replacements. It never impacted the driveability or safety of the cars and would typically come back on within a couple minutes - more of an inconvenience than anything else.

So far, knock on wood, no reboots on our Taycan.

Only one reboot on our panamera in 3+ years of ownership. And I blame my passenger/coworker whose presence seems to send electronics haywire - never ride an elevator with him because there's a high chance that elevator gets stuck. He hasn't been in our Taycan yet....
Sponsored

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Got my 2022 RWD five days ago. Got my first software update yesterday. When finished, as shown in the photo, the dial speedometer (left tube) was in kph while the digital (center tube) was mph. This morning the dial was back to mph.
Porsche Taycan Wish I had not watched this! Software issues PXL_20220615_215929770

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Got my 2022 RWD five days ago. Got my first software update yesterday. When finished, as shown in the photo, the dial speedometer (left tube) was in kph while the digital (center tube) was mph. This morning the dial was back to mph.
PXL_20220615_215929770.jpg
Which software update did you get? I have taken delivery of my CT4 in may in Belgium but I haven’t had an update yet . Do you have the new PCM?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Which software update did you get? I have taken delivery of my CT4 in may in Belgium but I haven’t had an update yet . Do you have the new PCM?
Sorry but I didn't note the software update, but it was done in less than two minutes so it probably wasn't much.
I have the new PCM (colored icons). FYI the factory finished building my RWD on April 25.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm in the camp that hasn't had any real problems with the PCM. Of course, I only have just under 1000 miles and only picked up the car on 7 May so anything can happen. I hope I didn't just jinx myself ;) So far the worst thing that has happened is I had to log out and back on to get CarPlay to work after an OTA update.
You probably have the newer PCM6 (colored icons are the indicator.)

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I am not sure how anyone seeing the preview screen shot can take the video or the content host as credible??? It is beyond awful.

Just looking at the preview screen shot is enough to get me to hit the "ignore" button on Youtube.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Bottom line: crashes will happen on pretty much any car with electronics. Most times its almost impossible to figure out what caused the crash, so you need to pick yourself up and move on.
Last summer, on a hot (but not crazy hot) day, my Tesla model Y screen went blank while driving. I have an add-on driver display which displays speed and state of charge, so I really didn't care but at the next stop I pulled over and looked up how to reboot the screen. I did this and the screen came back to life.
This hasn't happened since. And life goes on.

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
You probably have the newer PCM6 (colored icons are the indicator.)
Nope, black and white icons. The car was produced in January 2022 before the switch to the new PCM software on the assembly line.

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
I watched the first 15s, then skipped to 19 mins watched the next 40 s and concluded this guy is a tool and should be sectioned forthwith. End of story.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
I watched the first 15s, then skipped to 19 mins watched the next 40 s and concluded this guy is a tool and should be sectioned forthwith. End of story.
I'll be sure to mention that to him in two weeks when I meet him.

I'm a long-term viewer of his channel. Yes it's clickbait, but I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. I have a Taycan on order, yet I'm not personally offended by his comments, and I don't think anybody else should be. It seems like they are, however.

Don't watch this video unless you want to have a heart attack...

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag

I'm a long-term viewer of his channel. Yes it's clickbait, but I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. I have a Taycan on order, yet I'm not personally offended by his comments, and I don't think anybody else should be. It seems like they are, however.

Yes please do mention it, I hardly took it seriously considering I watched a total of 50 seconds to work out the guy is a tool 😉. I am not offended by him, I assume you are dutch, we British can smell a tool at a thousand paces and particularly a fellow Englishman behaving like a tool 🤣

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag

Ok so I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and watch this video, I‘m sorry but he spent most of this video reading comments directed at him, if he wasn’t bothered then why create a video about them and read them out?? He is sooooo bothered 😅

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am really trying to be objective here so I watched some more of the original video. Now he already knows there are more EV chargers along the M1 but because his sat nav said take the A1 which he didn’t want to do he took it!!! It’s like the car has taken control of this guy and he must do as the Taycan says 😂

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
And no, there are plenty of manufacturers who don't have these issues at all.
All new cars nowadays get more and more electronics, and with increased complexity there is a higher probability of glitches. Even my daughter's base model Toyota Corolla, which has very limited infotainment as compared to the Taycan, glitches out from time time with Apple CarPlay disconnecting until the car is shut off and restarted.

Ad much as I despise computers glitching out (old enough to remember appliances "just working"), the reality is that consumers ask for more and more complex functionalities, which makes the entire system more complex. The cost of complexity is inability to verify completely, and this is where seamless, frequent OTAs can come to the rescue.

Out of curiosity, since my Taycan is still in the "deposit without allocation" stage, when the PCM glitches out, does the Taycan lose any vital functionality such as HVAC/defroster controls?
Sponsored