MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Why on earth would anyone take a 5,300 lb 4-door GT that is probably the best combination of performance and luxury of any car on earth, and strip it of all it's non-essential options to create a 5,000 lb track focused GT???

The Taycan is NOT a track car. It wasn't initially designed as one, and I really don't understand the thinking here. Other than having bragging rights, why would anyone buy the 'Weissach GT' version of this car??
Rear doors that open to nothingness. Taking out the rear seats to save weight but creating a storage space where you’re going to put a bunch of stuff that adds weight.
Sponsored

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
This feels like a shark jump moment for Porsche.
The price, performance, 2 seat 4 door, etc all just are very very underwhelming and pointless.
This is a gran touring car, and one of the greats, but this product lacks any of the elements that make either track or tourer work well.
It’s purely out of fear of Tesla and Lucid, while making a car that feels like a worse product than both
To their credit the Weissach Package is the exact same price. Usually that’s a much more expensive option.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Pretty cool car, I envy the ones who are able to buy these things. Personally I would spec it without the Weissach package. The front without the charging ports looks a little bit whitelabel to me, I prefer the look of a charging port + electric ones
I feel the opposite. I like that they have a manual charge port cover on one side instead of on both sides, not to mention the added weight of the electronics to open them automatically.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I disagree completely, and it's no different than what Porsche did with the Cayenne Coupe GT, which for certain fewer people will ever track. This thing can and will see track time, and it'll be faster than all but a handful of supercars and GT3/GT4 vehicles. It's as fast as a McLaren 720S and a Lambo Huracan Perfromante... 3 seconds off of a 911 GT3 at Nurburgring (and likely cheaper). 4 seconds off of a 718 GT4RS.

Why not celebrate that for EVs everywhere? Where's the harm?
Precisely what we’re buying it for. This will be kept at the track as a rental. And though it is odd that they’re introducing this model late in the game when a new generation is just a couple of years away, it’s still a pretty special machine.

Last edited:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Because this is like a GT Panamera, just a totally pointless product.

I have a Cayenne GTS, which you could say the same thing about, but actually the car is faster over rough road and terrain than a dedicated sports car. The Turbo GT extends that making it a rally/ track car you can use

However the taycan, combined with terrible range shows Porsche continue to focus on the WRONG problems with the Taycan — they made the worlds best Gran Tourer but for one issue, that they refuse to fix.

electric car go fast is no longer interesting. Figuring out how to manage the weight and keep it on the track for more than a single lap is.
I think you're missing a number of points. First, this is the most advanced EV product that Porsche has and has spent development time with. It makes sense that they would explore track-dedicated efforts with this platform rather than waiting until they have an EV 911 or EV Cayman.

Second, it's a halo EV product as evidenced by the 'ring and Laguna Seca times - I don't anticipate that they'll make huge production numbers of these vehicles. I also don't know that making them diminshes the uses or value of existing Taycans. You can still drive yours (or not) you can still buy a non-GT variant, etc. and use it to get your groceries. If someone wants to buy this and take it to the track (or instead put it in their garage to stare at), why do you care? Unless you're in Porsche management or accounting, your feelings on the matter seem to be immaterial to the marketing or business decissions of the company. Maybe you think it diminishes the brand? I'd say a Cayenne GTS does so at least as much if not more. Lots of groceries getting got in those bad boys, whatever rally credentials it may have.

All of this effort goes into Porsche's understanding of racing dynamics for EVs and what they will need to do for EV 911s and EV Caymans, etc., and unless it's eating significantly into the bottom line or detracting from other development efforts, I think it's all positive.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
hmm, imo they should have also added the carbon bonnet to the Weissach pack.
anyone knows what the flappers do?

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
$230K to start, and that's not even for the fastest (Weissach Edition) model - wowowow...

And the Weissach Edition loses its rear seat...

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/11...gt-sets-lap-records-and-automaker-benchmarks/

But hey, it apparently beats the Plaid around Laguna Seca by 0.33 seconds, so there's that....

The Taycan is a very cool car in so many ways, but the Weissach Edition especially reeks of desperation...(IMHO)

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
$230K to start, and that's not even for the fastest (Weissach Edition) model - wowowow...

And the Weissach Edition loses its rear seat...

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/11...gt-sets-lap-records-and-automaker-benchmarks/

But hey, it apparently beats the Plaid around Laguna Seca by 0.33 seconds, so there's that....

The Taycan is a very cool car in so many ways, but the Weissach Edition especially reeks of desperation...(IMHO)
I mean that’s only about 30k more than a Turbo S. Could have been priced way higher.

And looks like the Weissach model is the same price.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I think you're missing a number of points. First, this is the most advanced EV product that Porsche has and has spent development time with. It makes sense that they would explore track-dedicated efforts with this platform rather than waiting until they have an EV 911 or EV Cayman.

Second, it's a halo EV product as evidenced by the 'ring and Laguna Seca times - I don't anticipate that they'll make huge production numbers of these vehicles. I also don't know that making them diminshes the uses or value of existing Taycans. You can still drive yours (or not) you can still buy a non-GT variant, etc. and use it to get your groceries. If someone wants to buy this and take it to the track (or instead put it in their garage to stare at), why do you care? Unless you're in Porsche management or accounting, your feelings on the matter seem to be immaterial to the marketing or business decissions of the company. Maybe you think it diminishes the brand? I'd say a Cayenne GTS does so at least as much if not more. Lots of groceries getting got in those bad boys, whatever rally credentials it may have.

All of this effort goes into Porsche's understanding of racing dynamics for EVs and what they will need to do for EV 911s and EV Caymans, etc., and unless it's eating significantly into the bottom line or detracting from other development efforts, I think it's all positive.
No it’s to drag up prices on base products with “halo anchoring” while delivering less and less.

Look at Porsches new base products. They are a joke in price/performance/spec ratio.

I mean come the heck on, Porsche is trying to push into Ferrari territory with tuned mass market vehicles while custom chassis super cars cost the same.

I dunno I love Porsche product, but they are really wringing it dry with this type of thing

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
hmm, imo they should have also added the carbon bonnet to the Weissach pack.
anyone knows what the flappers do?
Left controls regen and right gives you some kind of short term boost.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
You can easily fit 2 mountain bikes in the back... but I love the front seats !
Sponsored