would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ?

would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No I would have bought an Aston Martin Vantage or DB11. But the malus tax here of30k Euro puts a very effective stop to that.

I would have loved the Taycan to have had more of the lines of the Mission e concept car though. I.e. the diffuser for example.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No, I'm really not a fan of cars this big. It's only the fact that the balance is perfect & center of gravity so low that makes the Taycan feel smaller.

I like to really like the Taycan but I don't love it. I DO love the electric drivetrain. I'm probably going to swap to an EV Macan & older NA Cayman/Boxster duo in 2022, unless they do something really cool with the Taycan GTS.

Lowpue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 912, 1995 911, 2000 911, 2001 Boxster, 2002 911 4S, 2014 TurboS, 2015 Huracan, TTS ordered
Country flag
Definitely no. I traded in my 991 Turbo S for this car (originally was going to keep it too but I just don't need so many cars with Covid since I don't go anywhere). I would have gotten a 992 Turbo S instead....like others have said... not a fan of big cars but the low center of gravity and great acceleration does it for me...faster than my Huracan (though does not feel faster with no sound). If it looked like Mission E, I would have bought in either ICE or EV however.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
addendum to my previous post - I'm no longer buying gas cars unless they are something "special" - like a 911 GT3 or some other extraordinary version of a ICE vehicle - normal/common run of the mill gas cars can't hold a candle to a well done EV - heck even my Bolt is better than _MOST_ gasoline cars that are sold en-mass.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Nope. Especially now that I own one...

In fact, Taycan ownership (being my first Porsche) has put any future Porsche ownership in Jeopardy for me... ...and I really was wanting a new 911 GT3 RS or 911 Turbo S.

So much stupid software. So many stupid software problems. So little thought given to the user interfaces. Pretty much everything/anything software related is very disappointing (at least to me).

Don't get me wrong. I "like" the car... Buts its not what it SHOULD or COULD be...

As Agent 86 (Maxwell Smart) would say: "Missed it by that much..."

OP
OP
sulaiman

sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
addendum to my previous post - I'm no longer buying gas cars unless they are something "special" - like a 911 GT3 or some other extraordinary version of a ICE vehicle - normal/common run of the mill gas cars can't hold a candle to a well done EV - heck even my Bolt is better than _MOST_ gasoline cars that are sold en-mass.
I think this is the way it's going to be in the future only Special ICE cars will be bought and kept
I cant see my self buying another ICE car and that's only from driving the test drive taycan for 3 days and still waiting for mine "Still on Ship"

in these 3 days, I loved
the immediate delivery of power
the Grip
the no sound acceleration
the fact I can use the rear seat not like in 911 with almost the same performance
every morning the car is FULL no more GAS station
and my love from Panamera turbo s hybrid "costing mode"

I didn't like
the 360 camera
the getting out of the car with the B Pillar is too forwarded

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1. I just wanted to reiterate this. I honestly would never consider a turbo or super charged ICE again. Give me an electric drivetrain or a special NA engine w/ a stick, the stuff in between doesn't stack up.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1. I just wanted to reiterate this. I honestly would never consider a turbo or super charged ICE again. Give me an electric drivetrain or a special NA engine w/ a stick, the stuff in between doesn't stack up.
ICE cars make better road trippers. That's just a fact. I don't care if there is a charging station on every block. Its still not optimal to stop and charge every couple of hours for 30 minutes at a time.

Sure, you can marginally improve this with faster charging. However, even larger batteries and/or longer range just means you need to stop and charge for LONGER.

In order for me NOT to want at least one ICE in my stable, we would need to have ranges around 800 miles (a normal long driving day for me) or the ability to quickly snap in/out battery packs at robotic "charging stations" like they did with some cabs back in Tokyo a few years back.

I love EV's (I currently have three), but I still need/want an ICE in my garage for Road Tripping.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The best of both worlds may be the Porsche 918 - 8 cylinders and electric. My wife and I each had two hot laps at Leipzig in a 918 driven by a professional. Not sure what impressed me the most - braking, acceleration, or its ability to straighten the double chicane (that part might have been the driver). It can stop so quickly they would not allow my wife (short) to go until they were certain her feet were against the firewall.

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
My Taycan came from 2 events that happened on the same day......A buddy asked me to sell my Panamera to him (it subsequently fell through and is on consignment down the road) and I sat next to the recently retired local PCar salesman who had leased a Taycan in April only to retire and start a new business......he needed to unload it. I was thinking 911, however the opportunity of picking this car up was too good, so I jumped at it. :). No regrets so far. If it weren't electric, it would be a 911 daily driver.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The best of both worlds may be the Porsche 918 - 8 cylinders and electric. My wife and I each had two hot laps at Leipzig in a 918 driven by a professional. Not sure what impressed me the most - braking, acceleration, or its ability to straighten the double chicane (that part might have been the driver). It can stop so quickly they would not allow my wife (short) to go until they were certain her feet were against the firewall.
Although I'm a very happy i8 owner, I'll still take a pure EV and a pure ICE over any single blended solution. Blended solutions are not optimal from either perspective. Like a flying car. Not a great car, not a great airplane.

It simply doesn't have to be one or the other. One doesn't have to lose for the other to win. It can be both. EV's as a daily driver and the occasional Road Trip "in overplanned/adventure mode", but an ICE all day long (literally) for layin' down the carefree highway miles!

Convertibles, Motorcycles, Horses,... Each platform for specific reasons...

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I previously was driving a 17 year old ICE convertible that was a lot of fun to drive. I looked at the 911 and the Nissan GTR and couldn't justify the money. Those are great cars, but the incremental performance gains were not worth the money as my convertible still drove great and had limited miles. The Taycan had the performance and was an EV so I took the plunge. If the Taycan had not been an EV, I would still be driving my convertible.

vhdeanda

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
YES design wise (if you mean did you only buy it due to it being the only electric Porsche), NO due to eco consciousness as I want an EV

Wanted a very well designed and sporty 4 door family friendly daily driver, have a Cayenne Hybrid for a SUV and this one is the only option that filled in the blanks really. Hate Tesla design and quality.
Sponsored