Ground clearance on Taycan 4S?

yankees757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Range Rover, AudiSQ5
Country flag
Does anyone know the ground clearance of the 4S? Assuming normal rise height, not in a raised suspension mode.
Sponsored

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Well............I wish those figures could be believed.
I'm trying to understand why suspension height varies so much across the hundreds of customer/dealer pics I am viewing on line.
I 1st saw my dealer car yesterday and I have an issue with this. I'm admittedly anal about offset, ride height, and the relation of both of those to a Porsche's fender line and wheel arch.
What I saw yesterday at the dealership is unacceptable.
I have many more examples of these two extremes.

Porsche Taycan Ground clearance on Taycan 4S? Front no 1
Porsche Taycan Ground clearance on Taycan 4S? Front no 5

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I watched a video on YouTube last night where a guy complained about that difference. The other guy simply uses the on-board controls to lower it to the level in the second picture. Sorry, don’t have a direct link to the video.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
so the Turbo has 128-mm ground clearance normal, and 148-mm ground clearance in lift mode -- corresponding to 5.0 and 5.8 inches, respectively, or about an inch lower than the Panamera 4. It will be interesting to see these figures for the 4S and the Cross Turismo

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
This is my final concern before placing a 'blind' order... I love the vehicle but I need to know it will get into my relatively steep driveway without needing to be lifted every time i come in and out.

Does anyone know if there is a regular Porsche with either the same or 'worse' Approach, Breakover and Departure? I could ask the dealer to let me test one of those and if it works I know the Taycan will be fine.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
This is my final concern before placing a 'blind' order... I love the vehicle but I need to know it will get into my relatively steep driveway without needing to be lifted every time i come in and out.

Does anyone know if there is a regular Porsche with either the same or 'worse' Approach, Breakover and Departure? I could ask the dealer to let me test one of those and if it works I know the Taycan will be fine.
I would try to not worry too much about this.
That said....without seeing your situation it's impossible to know if you will have a challenge.
The Taycan having that 'lift' setting is actually pretty neat......you will find that option on many exotics.
I was unable to open that .pdf link for heights however it's important to know where the dimensions is taken.
On ICE Porsche's it is always taken at a very specific location.....and it is not the front lip.
Example....GT3/GT2 is 102-108mm and that's measured from road surface in mm to the lower edge of hex-head bolt of tension strut screw (cross member screw) connection to body.
Sorry to get off in the weeds here.

Most of my cars are at those GT2/GT3 ride heights......and with experience I can tell you that you are able, with techniques, to negotiate, with practice, most any incline (without a lift mode).
I'll admit to having on occasion, to having gone around the block another time.....to get a better angle-of-attach for a 'challenge' :).......but have succeed.
Hope something here helped.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s some photos what do you think?

I guess I could measure the lengths to see what angle we have here, it’s just the break over I’m concerned about.

Porsche Taycan Ground clearance on Taycan 4S? ED68D5D6-46A3-434C-B890-72306DBDD0BD

Porsche Taycan Ground clearance on Taycan 4S? 7D8AC0A8-2B7F-42F5-92D2-EC7B75679057

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow.....very interesting.
I see what you're talking about with 'break over'. Personally I've never experienced an issue like that w/shorter wheel-based Pcars.
Taycan's wheel base is around 18" longer than the current 992.
I see now where 'Cpoarchy' got the break stats from a drawing on the brochure. Pretty sure those numbers actually represent the degree of rise/fall that are a limit to contact.
You could put a board on the flat and measure the degree of fall at the crest.
I guess we assume Porsche did their measures at the high setting. Good luck.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Gregg, good point about the wheelbase as that’s what actually matters. Fortunately our driveway smoothes our for the top few meters so even though it’s steeper for the whole length of the car, on the actually bit that matters, the actual wheelbase will be coming over the ‘break over’ joint at an angle of around 6-7 degrees according to a tape measure and online calculator! So should be fine.

At the bottom it gets as steep as about 9.5 degrees on entry which I think is probably manageable, I can get a bit of entry angle also.

I think we should be ok though may ask for a 911 or similar demo to check entering to get a feel for it!

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I'm also a bit worried about the ground clearance generally. Not really that it won't be enough when in raised mode, but what if I drive into something steep with the wrong driving mode? In Range & Sport Plus modes the car is always at its lowest setting. With Normal & Sport it depends on driving speed, so at low speeds it will be raised.

I'm so worried about this I'll probably rarely drive in Range or Sport Plus modes, as otherwise I'd have to be fairly paranoid to check the mode every time I'm closing in on something tricky. Normal & Sport for me most of the time probably.

Our driveway is fairly steep and it would probably be a total disaster with the low setting. Parking halls are problematic. And in Finland we have these nice stoppers literally everywhere:

Porsche Taycan Ground clearance on Taycan 4S? pic_5_92342_k92343_651

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes these “sleeping Policemen” can get very expensive if you have nice carbon fibre spoilers at the front!
Slow speed over them should be ok though.
Sponsored