My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today!

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
Im going to showroom tomorrow - so I will try switching on the REGEN thing.
I hope it stays on forever, once I set it to on, unless I switch it off manually.

Like I hope the car remembers the settings, and doesnt want me to manually switch on every time I get into the car.

But first thing is to see, if thats really stopping the car, without wanting me to brake :D
The Regen and AutoRegen will require you to put it on each time you get in the car. You can do this by pushing (regen) or Hold the button (AutoRegen) on the steering wheel (is this button on the steering wheel an option?) or by configuring it in your "Individual Drive Mode" which is only with the Sport Chrono option; (Adds a silver dollar sized round dial on the inside of the steering wheel and a clock on top of center dashboard). The car starts in "Normal" mode and you then can switch to Sport, Sport Plus or Individual via the dial knob. Individual allows you to preset things like sound, regen, sport, etc)

Either way, there is no way to turn on Regen or Auto Regen without a push or twist of a button/dial each time you start.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Rear wheel steering - I love this option and makes any slow speed maneuvers easier - not sure how much is the esteering, but just feels like a smaller\more agile car.

One pedal driving - this is a porsche and not transportation :) I use regen all the time to give it more of the feel like my manual 911 when i let off the gas.. the Auto regen is also nice when in traffic as it will do the work to hold how far you are. Overall i want to drive the car vs the other way around!

RWD - i drove one at the LA PEC with steel springs and think the air suspension is a big plus in how the car manages its weight. I wonder if that is the diff you felt? We have a CT4, so the slow one, but bigger battery and air suspension which is a combo i love - i dont miss the extra speed.

Fit and finish no comparison.

phil.
Im going to showroom tomorrow - so I will try switching on the REGEN thing.
I hope it stays on forever, once I set it to on, unless I switch it off manually.

Like I hope the car remembers the settings, and doesnt want me to manually switch on every time I get into the car.

But first thing is to see, if thats really stopping the car, without wanting me to brake :D
I use regen as well. It drives like my 2017 GTS that way. Otherwise it just keeps going after you let off the accelerator…disconcerting the first time in traffic and caused a panic stop!

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
The Regen and AutoRegen will require you to put it on each time you get in the car. You can do this by pushing (regen) or Hold the button (AutoRegen) on the steering wheel (is this button on the steering wheel an option?) or by configuring it in your "Individual Drive Mode" which is only with the Sport Chrono option; (Adds a silver dollar sized round dial on the inside of the steering wheel and a clock on top of center dashboard). The car starts in "Normal" mode and you then can switch to Sport, Sport Plus or Individual via the dial knob. Individual allows you to preset things like sound, regen, sport, etc)

Either way, there is no way to turn on Regen or Auto Regen without a push or twist of a button/dial each time you start.
I've taken to just pushing the auto-regen button as soon as I get on the freeway and mentally counting to 3, which is just enough time for it to kick in. I don't have to look at the dash to see if it turned on, it will after 3s. Yes its a pain to have to do this but the benefits of the auto-regen on the freeway make it totally worth it. I love how the car slows down if I get cut off (which happens ALOT) or if I am coasting up to a traffic jam.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I've taken to just pushing the auto-regen button as soon as I get on the freeway and mentally counting to 3, which is just enough time for it to kick in. I don't have to look at the dash to see if it turned on, it will after 3s. Yes its a pain to have to do this but the benefits of the auto-regen on the freeway make it totally worth it. I love how the car slows down if I get cut off (which happens ALOT) or if I am coasting up to a traffic jam.
Or, you can set Individual mode…with three clicks (on the wheel)

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or, you can set Individual mode…with three clicks (on the wheel)
I am on clear on what that is...I don't have the sport chrono. But 3 clicks sounds a bit more work than one, so....am I missing something?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I am on clear on what that is...I don't have the sport chrono. But 3 clicks sounds a bit more work than one, so....am I missing something?
Sorry, my English …
Looks that i haven’t made myself clear enough… I wanted to say that you have to turn sports chrono wheel three times…from Normal, to Sport, Sport+ and then it comes to Individual.
yes, it’s more “clicks” than hit once on a recup button on a sterring wheel, but with Individual mode, you can get your own other settings …

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, my English …
Looks that i haven’t made myself clear enough… I wanted to say that you have to turn sports chrono wheel three times…from Normal, to Sport, Sport+ and then it comes to Individual.
yes, it’s more “clicks” than hit once on a recup button on a sterring wheel, but with Individual mode, you can get your own other settings …
yes well, I don't have sport chrono but I'm fine with my one-click solution! Where is "SI" if you don't mind my asking? I see it a lot with a flag I don't recognize because its too small to see. It seems a lot of owners are from this SI place, wherever it is the drivers have good taste.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
yes well, I don't have sport chrono but I'm fine with my one-click solution! Where is "SI" if you don't mind my asking? I see it a lot with a flag I don't recognize because its too small to see. It seems a lot of owners are from this SI place, wherever it is the drivers have good taste.
Porsche Taycan My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today! 916A85DD-1095-41DB-8CAF-46D1244E1C04

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So, Im in the market to buy the Taycan and went for the test drive today.
I tested both RWD and 4S.
Instantly, RWD was a turn-off, and I couldn't justify the double price of a Tesla at all.
I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021.

So, I drove the 4S then and yes, that's when I could feel the Porsche feel and agility.
Instant love!
I read in the forums, that RWD steering is purer than 4S, but I felt 4S steering was a match made in heaven!

Here are some feedback -
1. Rear camera is trash, with very poor implementation.

2. Wireless CarPlay did not work, not sure why. I was in a 2021 car. I guess car play is wireless for 2021 and 2022 cars, right? You don't need to connect the cable.

3. The biggest turn-off was - there is no one pedal drive mode in Taycan. Tesla has it and its called creep/hold mode and it just makes the drive so so so so good and easy. Porsche doesn't have it, so you have to keep on using the brakes every now and then. I found this very weird. as 4S is quick and without one pedal drive creep hold mode, the brake pads will die soon, as you always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe.
I just hope Porsche releases this mode to all the owners via a software update. Is there a place or email, where we can email them some features feedback?

4. The electric sound addon is almost not noticeable at all in RWD, so never get that addon if you order the RWD. But it's quite noticeable in 4S. But then again, 99.999% of drivers would be listening to music while driving, so no one would ever hear that electric sound, which is very very negligible. I would not get the electric sound addon. Even with that option off, the car is already making some sounds, and it's nice and subtle.

5. My final feedback to convince my wife was I need a Porsche, which I can customize to my own needs and I don't want to be driving a minimal computer like
a tesla. The feel when you sit inside a taycan with leather all around is epic good. I just wish I won't regret spending 2x price than my current tesla which does everything 100% perfect already.

6. The car which I test drove - did not have HUD or massaging seats, so I couldn't try them, but I think it would be great. Maybe existing owners of Massaging option and HUD option can tell better.

7. The car is big, so I guess the real axle steering thing might help, but it's just so expensive and I think, will skip it, as no point paying for an option that will only help in parking spots.

8. Now the final decision was to sit and finish the final config today. But Porsche's April production line is full and the dealership doesn't have any future allocation details.
Now Im worried, if I pay the deposit and don't get the allocation for April may, then I will be very sad to wait long. So, need to decide!
So have you ordered a Taycan OP?
Or have all those non Tesla things that Porsche insist on doing put you off?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
SI stands for Slovenia… homeland of Luka Doncic, Goran Dragic from NBA (and Melania Trump)… ;)
but as far as i know, i’m the only one in the forum….

ptilley42

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
No.
Is it something we can switch on once and its always on by default after that ?
Is it like one pedal driving feel like in Tesla ?

Basically, I dont want the car to coast and roll until and unless Im really putting my foot on the accelerator.
So, the moment I lift my foot, the car has to brake and get slow.
IT just makes the drive so safe and nice.

But while driving the 4S today, I was most of the time nervous already, as its fast and it rolls even if you dont accelerate - and you have brake every second. Got very annoying.
Porsche should have given the option like Tesla has given it directly - CREEP/ROLL/HOLD.

So, every kind of driver can tune it as per their own preference, because its expensive and not cheap!
answer , opt for adaptive cruise. great in traffic. On open roads why would you want one foot driving. Cars should be fun and you should be involved in the driving.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
This is exactly where I felt unsafe after test driving it.
Like spending a fortune and then not feeling safe while driving - because have to brake hard to stop from 100 to 0 if someone cuts through your way. Very dangerous.
Starting off your original post with "so".

Wearing a mask in your profile picture.

Saying you "always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe". Who drives like that?

Asking for the Porsche email address so you can "speak to the manager" to tell them what they're doing wrong.

Feeling "unsafe" in a vehicle that brakes like every other vehicle on the road except a Tesla.

It's like interacting with a living meme!

Porsche is a driver's car that helped define what it is to be a driver's car. Their history and their culture are rooted in pushing the boundaries and winning. Tesla is a consumer product.

Asking for a "super-premium" (your words) Porsche to perform more like a Tesla suggests either that you've not spent much time with other performance cars or that the Porsche just isn't what you want out of a car. Honestly, having to "brake every 10 seconds" and go from "100 to 0" (kmh I hope) because someone cut you off makes you sound like a terrible driver... in a Tesla. The irony.

Feeling "unsafe" in ANY car is almost always a driver issue.

If buying a Taycan is really a "fortune" to you, spend less. Whatever Insta-cool you think you're blowing the budget for isn't real.

Spend a day at one of the Porsche Experience centers but go with an open mind and lose the Tesla programming for a bit. Go in like you don't know how to drive and you're being taught for the first time. You'll learn a lot about driving and maybe a little about yourself.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
So, Im in the market to buy the Taycan and went for the test drive today.
I tested both RWD and 4S.
Instantly, RWD was a turn-off, and I couldn't justify the double price of a Tesla at all.
I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021.

So, I drove the 4S then and yes, that's when I could feel the Porsche feel and agility.
Instant love!
I read in the forums, that RWD steering is purer than 4S, but I felt 4S steering was a match made in heaven!

Here are some feedback -
1. Rear camera is trash, with very poor implementation.

2. Wireless CarPlay did not work, not sure why. I was in a 2021 car. I guess car play is wireless for 2021 and 2022 cars, right? You don't need to connect the cable.

3. The biggest turn-off was - there is no one pedal drive mode in Taycan. Tesla has it and its called creep/hold mode and it just makes the drive so so so so good and easy. Porsche doesn't have it, so you have to keep on using the brakes every now and then. I found this very weird. as 4S is quick and without one pedal drive creep hold mode, the brake pads will die soon, as you always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe.
I just hope Porsche releases this mode to all the owners via a software update. Is there a place or email, where we can email them some features feedback?

4. The electric sound addon is almost not noticeable at all in RWD, so never get that addon if you order the RWD. But it's quite noticeable in 4S. But then again, 99.999% of drivers would be listening to music while driving, so no one would ever hear that electric sound, which is very very negligible. I would not get the electric sound addon. Even with that option off, the car is already making some sounds, and it's nice and subtle.

5. My final feedback to convince my wife was I need a Porsche, which I can customize to my own needs and I don't want to be driving a minimal computer like
a tesla. The feel when you sit inside a taycan with leather all around is epic good. I just wish I won't regret spending 2x price than my current tesla which does everything 100% perfect already.

6. The car which I test drove - did not have HUD or massaging seats, so I couldn't try them, but I think it would be great. Maybe existing owners of Massaging option and HUD option can tell better.

7. The car is big, so I guess the real axle steering thing might help, but it's just so expensive and I think, will skip it, as no point paying for an option that will only help in parking spots.

8. Now the final decision was to sit and finish the final config today. But Porsche's April production line is full and the dealership doesn't have any future allocation details.
Now Im worried, if I pay the deposit and don't get the allocation for April may, then I will be very sad to wait long. So, need to decide!
If you think the Rear Wheel Steering option is expensive then i don't think that you should be looking at getting the Taycan. It is one of the cheaper option to me. Burmester is the one that i have to actually think about before saying to myself that i need it.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
@soamz : We were talking about that a couple of times.
in short:
1. Recuperation: when you release acceleration pedal, it slows down, similar as ICE with manual gear.
2. Auto-recuperation: when you become closer to car infront od you, speed will be adjusted.

By default, recup is set to off, but you can turn it with one click on button on the steering wheel.

it’s not one pedal driving as you are familiar at Tesla, but I prefer Taycan anyway.
actually, there’s no money in the world, that I would own Tesla.
Yeah. If you have never driven a manual, you won't understand how the "non-one pedal" EV recover the energy. Contrary to the hype, "non-one pedal"driving is more natural and safer in poor road condition.
Sponsored