[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Mobile connector is a 32 amp charger - it is what it is and rated for it's documented that way - it was never sold as a 40 amp charger and then downgraded to 32/20 amp via OTA update - it never was a 40 amp charger or sold that way.

ChargePoint also makes 32 amp chargers that plug into a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug…rather than the full 40 amps rated for a 50 amp breaker.

Mustard makes both 32 and 40 amp chargers - both plug into NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plugs.
  • Tesla Gen1 Mobile Charger - 40 amps - swappable NEMA plugs
  • Tesla Gen2 Mobile Charter - 32 amps - swappable NEMA plugs
  • Tesla Corded Mobile Connector - 40 amps - fixed NEMA 14-50
  • Tesla Wall Charger Gen1 - hardwired - 15-100 amp breaker configurable
  • Tesla Wall Charger Gen2 - hardwired - 15-100 amp breaker configurable - shared load up to 4 Gen2 units - via twisted pair communication wires
  • Tesla Wall Charter Gen3 - hardwired - 15-60 charge rate configurable - shared load up 200 amps split between up to 16 networked Gen3 chargers…via wifi communication between Gen3 units.
Tesla also sells a 40 amp mobile charger - Tesla Corded Mobile Charger (not swappable supply cables/adapter - fixed NEMA 14-50 plug) - it's a full 40 amp charger.

Mustarts is also a full 40 amps - reliable and fully functional - $349

$200 - won't overheat and runs at a full 40 amps - 9.6 kW - very reliable, smaller and lighter than the PMCC…
https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hi Dave, I meanwhile got the PMCC software “update” at the dealership and it indeed reverted to 20A as the default starting value after my first couple of charging sessions. However, I then logged in to the PMCC via the customer service ID and password (both in the little enveloppe that came with the PMCC) and found a setting to reset the starting value back to 40A. In subsequent charging sessions, it started off at/near 40A as it did before the update.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Dave, I meanwhile got the PMCC software “update” at the dealership and it indeed reverted to 20A as the default starting value after my first couple of charging sessions. However, I then logged in to the PMCC via the customer service ID and password (both in the little enveloppe that came with the PMCC) and found a setting to reset the starting value back to 40A. In subsequent charging sessions, it started off at/near 40A as it did before the update.
thanks for the update - I'm going to try that right now - in my testing setting it to 40 amps via the LCD screen did not "preserve" the setting - if the Web based portal "keeps" the setting this will be far less concerning, although I doubt most people will "know" how to log into their PMCC via the customer name/password to override this setting - so still a terrible customer experience.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can well all email our SA and demand a refund on the PMCC? especially the 2020 owners when it was mandatory to purchase the PMCC?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can not replicate this behavior with my PMCC unit - I logged in as the "home" user - set the charge rate to 40 amps - charged at 40 amps - stopped the session - unplugged the vehicle - powered down the PMCC - and then powered it back up - and it was returned to 20 amps.

what software version are you running?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you did it at the dealership - they may not have installed the latest software - they may have just manually set it to 20 amps - that was the procedure documented in the tech bulletin - once the software update is applied (version 3014) I have found no way to preserve the 40 amp settings - it always goes back to 20 amps when the PMCC shuts off due to idle, powered down via power button, or unplugged.

please confirm your software version is 3014

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can well all email our SA and demand a refund on the PMCC? especially the 2020 owners when it was mandatory to purchase the PMCC?
you can try - $1120 will go a long ways towards a replacement 32/40/48 amp EVSE (40/50/60 amp breakers)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
50 / 32 (Limited to less than 80% of 50A rating for extra margin of safety from possible overheating)
80% is standard best practice for sustained-load circuits.

So the NEMA 14-50 plug is a 50 amp breaker, running at 40 amps.

Tesla's hardwired wall connector is on a 60 amp breaker and runs at 48 amps.

This 80% rule is nothing new or manufacturer specific.

Porsche's 50% nerfing is.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My guess is that’s security/safety issue, looks as cables are not strong enough for 40A.
And -yes- I do afree that’s a huge (quality control/engineering) failure!
I can see potential safety issues, but what is the security impact?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Looks like Tesla has a similar issue with their mobile charger. You can’t run them at full rated amperage:

Mobile Connector Rated Circuit Amperage / Maximum Charging Amperage:

50 / 32 (Limited to less than 80% of 50A rating for extra margin of safety from possible overheating)
That is not an “issue”. Tesla designed and sells the mobile connector as a 32A EVSE. They used to sell 40A ones long ago but the cost optimized the newer version to be 32A. They did not limit the old 40A ones - I have 2 of those old ones, one has been charging cars daily at 40A for almost a decade. The reason they went to 32A was a potential issue with electrical code in Canada, where it is legal to install a NEMA 14-50 on a 40A breaker, which resulted in a 40A charger drawing 100% sustained (for hours) current, rather than the 80% max sustained prescribed by the code. There was a related fire in Toronto, after which Tesla started shipping only 32A chargers with a Nema 14-50 attached, but continued selling the 40A version for a while as “hardwired”, i.e. meant to be permanently installed on a 50A circuit, rather than mobile charger meant to connect to any NEMA 14-50 you can find.

Today they only sell 32A mobile and 48A wall chargers. They used to sell 80A wall chargers but discontinued those (I still have 3 of those too, converting one for Tayan charging in the next couple of months to prep for the Taycan arrival, specced the 80A charger in the Taycan so it will be able to take advantage of the full 80A).

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Kingske - I tried this out and it didn't "stick" after letting the PMCC shutdown and then restart. Did you test that scenario?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
80% is standard best practice for sustained-load circuits.
You misread the statement. It says:
… for extra margin of safety from possible overheating

This refers to the Tesla Mobile Connector, which when connected to 50 amp circuit is limited to 32 amps “for extra margin of safety from possible overheating.

The Tesla Wall Charger, a wired EVSE (compared with a plugged EVSE like the Porsche EVSEs) runs at the full 40 amps (the 80% rule) when on a 50amp circuit.

I’m just pointing out that if you want perfect, get an EVSE from a company who specializes in them. I’ve been using Juicebox EVSEs for years now. There are plenty of others which are just as good or better.

HawkBlitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, BMW M2
Country flag
So far I have been using the PMC+ at 50% to avoid overheating. Thinking of getting either Chargepoint home flex or the clippercreek one. I have a 50 amp circuit feeding the NEMA 14-50 outlet. I assume my existing charging timers and profiles would continue to work. Any recommendations on either of the two or another EVSE?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So far I have been using the PMC+ at 50% to avoid overheating. Thinking of getting either Chargepoint home flex or the clippercreek one. I have a 50 amp circuit feeding the NEMA 14-50 outlet. I assume my existing charging timers and profiles would continue to work. Any recommendations on either of the two or another EVSE?
both are excellent choices and plug&play with your existing NEMA 14-50 plug - your charge timers and profiles will be unaffected.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Thanks for letting us know about this. Mine indeed updated today and I’m not happy. Just ordered the Mustart charger (BTW, it’s sold out on their website, but for now is still available on Amazon). I plan to head to my dealer this week with the Porsche EVSE and demand a refund on it. That thing is insanely expensive and now it’s by far become the worst product on the market for level 2 (barely) charging. Totally unacceptable…
Sponsored