WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have rarely gotten any tickets (less than 5 in my life). Each time I do get a ticket, I get a lawyer and contest. Each ticket has been overturned, which means my record remains clean so the next time I get pulled over, the police do not see a "pattern" and I am not punished by insurance. Cost is negligible for the lawyer, and much less than insurance increases.
I too only have about 5 in my lifetime but I have always taken defensive driving to keep them off my record. Curious why you went the lawyer route…
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I too only have about 5 in my lifetime but I have always taken defensive driving to keep them off my record. Curious why you went the lawyer route…
The rules are set locally. Not always possible to expunge record by taking class, hence attorneys.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Wow! I'm with this level of severity in speeding enforcement, I am surprised they don't just go completely totalitarian on you guys, require you to have an app installed on your phone which would automatically clock your speed and compare against speed limits based on GPS, then send you the fine, license suspension, a car impound notice, or an invitation to surrender yourself to your local jail, depending on the offense. Anyone caught driving without the app would immediately be jailed and their car impounded.

Alternatively, require all car makers to put speed limiters on cars based on detected speed limit signs and/or GPS database. Not sure if Switzerland is a big enough car market for the automakers to comply with a solid design though.
OK yours is a joke. But how about: police car with flashing lights following car of criminals on a high speed chase through Swiss cities. Criminals are arrested but policemen are taken to court for speeding during the chase (caught by speed cameras). This is not a joke. Happened multiple times here in Switzerland.

Switzerland is not a big market but a very profitable one for carmakers - higher retail prices (vs rest of Europe, except places with silly punitive ICE taxes), most cars with tons of options. It’s one of the reasons why Switzerland is considered a priority market and e.g. Porsche orders tend to be filled quicker vs rest of world, shorter waiting times

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
OK yours is a joke. But how about: police car with flashing lights following car of criminals on a high speed chase through Swiss cities. Criminals are arrested but policemen are taken to court for speeding during the chase (caught by speed cameras). This is not a joke. Happened multiple times here in Switzerland.
So anyone driving with a mask on, with fake license plates, can essentially do whatever they want because the police will never chase them above speed limit and with no way to ID them from cameras there is no way to catch them?

As a side note, not a joke, something similar is happening in the state (Washington state in the US) where I live. The "defund the police" activists managed to pass a bunch of laws which would punish the police for chasing speeders. End result - a lot more people running from the police in months that followed (at least according to statistics reported by the police).

• Wow
Reactions: B61

Harbor_Dawg

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 90D; 2020 Porsche GT4; Ram 1500
Country flag
So anyone driving with a mask on, with fake license plates, can essentially do whatever they want because the police will never chase them above speed limit and with no way to ID them from cameras there is no way to catch them?

As a side note, not a joke, something similar is happening in the state (Washington state in the US) where I live. The "defund the police" activists managed to pass a bunch of laws which would punish the police for chasing speeders. End result - a lot more people running from the police in months that followed (at least according to statistics reported by the police).
Fake news. Read the law.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is because it is treated like a parking infraction - it is assigned to a car, not he driver. It is hard to have a streamlined process to prove who was driving, therefore who to issue the points to.
I wish this was also the case in the UK - here you (or the company owning the car) are legally obligated to provide driver information relating speed camera fines and most of the time will get points.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I wish this was also the case in the UK - here you (or the company owning the car) are legally obligated to provide driver information relating speed camera fines and most of the time will get points.
Same here.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag

It’s applied case by case. In general the police *can* chase above speed limit yes, but there’s a weird law prescription by which the police on a chase (“courses urgentes”) need to keep into account all the circumstances and determine and apply a level of caution proportional to the situation. (arrêt 6B_755/2020 du 3 novembre 2020) .

The policeman below got stung…he was doing 105 km/h in a 50 zone https://www.24heures.ch/le-policier-roulait-trop-vite-dans-une-course-poursuite-524209772147

crazy huh?

Switzerland is , to generalize, a safe place with very low criminality (e.g., one of the highest penetration rate in the world for guns possession - after the US clearly - but nobody uses them for crimes) and a very “healthy” social structure. One element is a “zero accident” ambition for vehicles traffic, hence the draconian measures against speeding.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
It’s applied case by case. In general the police *can* chase above speed limit yes, but there’s a weird law prescription by which the police on a chase (“courses urgentes”) need to keep into account all the circumstances and determine and apply a level of caution proportional to the situation. (arrêt 6B_755/2020 du 3 novembre 2020) .

The policeman below got stung…he was doing 105 km/h in a 50 zone https://www.24heures.ch/le-policier-roulait-trop-vite-dans-une-course-poursuite-524209772147

crazy huh?

Switzerland is , to generalize, a safe place with very low criminality (e.g., one of the highest penetration rate in the world for guns possession - after the US clearly - but nobody uses them for crimes) and a very “healthy” social structure. One element is a “zero accident” ambition for vehicles traffic, hence the draconian measures against speeding.
Many US locations have the similar laws. Only in very rare situations does it make sense to engage in a high speed car chase. They frequently end in death, severe injuries, and heavy property damage, and often to innocent people who were not involved. In today’s age of cameras, helicopters and other means to investigate, there are often smarter ways to accomplish an arrest. So it has to be life and death situation to chase and create another life and death situation.

In areas with these common sense rules, a police officer could get cited or arrested if he or she engages in a high speed pursuit when not necessary.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If your boss provides your name as the person driving the company vehicle which got photographed speeding, is the burden of proof is on you to prove if it wasn't you? Say you prove it wasn't you because you had a solid alibi, but your boss says their records say it was you, Does the ticket get thrown out?

In the US unless the camera catches clear image of the driver, it will not stick, not just for a ticket. My neighbor had his car hit while parked in front of my house by an unmarked FedEx truck. My security camera happen to catch the accident, it was a hit and run. I even got a clear shot of the plate number (that's how we found out it was a FedEx truck). Police investigated and the result was FedEx insurance paid for the damage, but because we had no clear picture of the driver, nobody was personally responsible, nor did FedEx provide any names.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

crazy huh?

There are laws which govern high speed chases in the US as well, intended to safeguard the general public. A lot of them make sense. However, the more recent laws that were added had to do with political police reform movements such as require the police remove themselves from situations where the suspect might have mental health issues, protect against targeting minorities, etc. The laws were written badly and very ambiguously, but attached personal liability for officers who might violate them, so the police went back to legislature to clarify but they won't, therefore the police were forced to interpret them as generally as possible to avoid liability.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair, the numbers are current numbers and they don’t appear to have any historical data to compare against.
Fair point. There are numbers however which show the upwards trend. Will look for a source later.

xahhax

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
this thread gives me the chill....living in Switzerland and recent Taycan owner...it is true I just find myself very quickly in the "become a pedestrian" zone....the lack of noise needs time to get used to. I had a very noisy (sport exhaust) 997....you KNEW when you were fast....the Taycan is a silent driving license killer....hope the OP ok with this, any news on what you got?
Sponsored