If you have Sport Sound in your Taycan - do you use it most of the time?

• Total voters

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I find it slightly odd that people need it to warn pedestrians.
Personally I have always considered pedestrians to have right of way in towns and car parks and drive accordingly.
I have had near silent at low speed cars, hybrid or electric, for 18 years now and never had a pedestrian walk out in front of my car.
I do sometimes have to follow somebody walking in a car park before they notice me, but a MUCH bigger problem for a silent car is cyclists in the countryside IME.
I drive very carefully around pedestrians (as I stated before), but the Sports Sound makes them pay attention and not (for a real life example), let a kid run across a parking lane in front of my very slowly crawling car so I have to slam on my brakes or risk knocking it down ;) And yes it would have been very slow and I saw the parent/kid doing it whilst not paying much attention, so I had slowed even more, but I was essentially next to them at that point! Same parent, next day and same time: looked up at the noise and kept the kid at their side.

I agree that you as a driver are responsible for your actions and pedestrians have right of way at all times, but even in the short time I've had the car that extra safety blanket of sound has helped.

Juniorp72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S due March 2023
Country flag
I’ve had the CT4S for over a couple of weeks now and have it on all the time… it’s set into individual mode. It’s great 👍🏻

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I always have it on. It’s part of the car’s personality!

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I drive very carefully around pedestrians (as I stated before), but the Sports Sound makes them pay attention and not (for a real life example), let a kid run across a parking lane in front of my very slowly crawling car so I have to slam on my brakes or risk knocking it down ;) And yes it would have been very slow and I saw the parent/kid doing it whilst not paying much attention, so I had slowed even more, but I was essentially next to them at that point! Same parent, next day and same time: looked up at the noise and kept the kid at their side.

I agree that you as a driver are responsible for your actions and pedestrians have right of way at all times, but even in the short time I've had the car that extra safety blanket of sound has helped.
I thought the Sports sound was primarily internal - the exterior noise for pedestrians is not related to Sports sound as it’s compulsory?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I thought the Sports sound was primarily internal - the exterior noise for pedestrians is not related to Sports sound as it’s compulsory?
It’s a lot louder with Sports sound on. When it’s off, you can barely hear it (a bit like Tesla’s).

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Almost two months of ownership and I always use it when alone in the car (I always drive in sport plus mode when alone) but always turn it off with the wife and/or kids as she doesn't like it.

Keysersoze

First Name
Keyser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - 992 GTS on order
Country flag
Personally, I love the sports sound, and drive virtually everywhere in sports plus 😜

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
Have mine constantly on. Having come from 4.0 V8, I don’t particularly want a silent car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I never have it on. I tried it, but didn't like it. it. It turns on briefly when I cycle the sport chrono through SportPlus to get to Individual Mode. I once selected Sport Plus by accident (my Individual is essentially SportPlus without sport sound) and my first reaction was "WTF!" when the noise came out of the back of the car.

I did use it once on purpose, when driving on some low speed residential road and some pedestrians appeared to not realize I was driving behind them while they decided to walk in the middle of the street. Switching the sport noise on didn't help (they still didn't hear me or just ignored me), but had me worried at the next speed bump as I switched it on by selecting SportPlus which lowered my car. I had to honk to get them to move to the sidewalk anyways.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I'm default off but have Sport Sound connected to the option button on my steering wheel. I turn it on when I'm in the mood for it - spirited driving.

I'm not sure if turning it on increases the exterior volume of the pedestrian warning audio, but sometimes I'll put it on with the hope that it's helping to warn folks as I otherwise silently creep through a parking lot.

For the purists who says it's not natural - I think the high pitched whine of the electric motors is not satisfying, and I see this as a way to mask it.

There are other things in the car that are 'unnecessary' but are there to enhance the experience. It's subjective.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm not sure if turning it on increases the exterior volume of the pedestrian warning audio, but sometimes I'll put it on with the hope that it's helping to warn folks as I otherwise silently creep through a parking lot.
In the USA, the Taycans (and all EV's) are required by law to generate outside sound under some speed (IIRC 25mph), so you are never silently creeping. The sport noise option changes the outside sound as far as I know to a more base frequency, and possibly a little louder, but since I don't use it, I couldn't tell you for sure.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
When I had a demo of the Taycan I switched the sport sound off after about 30 seconds, and the same even at the PEC Silverstone driving fast. I didn't bother to spec it on my CT4S as a result.
If you do like it do you leave it on most of the time though, or only in certain circumstances?
I really wish I could get it to come on automatically below say 30mph for safety purposes. Rest of the time I tend not to bother unless showing off Startrek noises.
Sponsored