W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi, I think you’ve muddled up my posts. The pics posted are my house electric smart meter readings. Completely separate to the car or any charging apparatus. I posted the pics to show my electric usage and when it was drawn.
My last attempt at charging was using only Porsche profile and timers (my pod point timers all disabled, as you advised) and I used a profile and a timer ( as you advised) and the car didn’t charge between 1230-0430 as I wanted it to.

I’ve not used the Porsche charger since I’ve had the car, and to be honest wouldn’t even know how to set it up, so why do you think this will solve my issue?
I think it's worth a reset all round.

I've lost track of what the actual issue is but if you are mixing Porsche charging components (timers / profiles) with non Porsche and using a non-Porsche charger I can see opportunity for the electronics to not work as intended.

If you could send a screen shot of the Porsche set up you tried - timers & profiles that would help to unravel.

If you can be bothered I would give the Porsche charger a crack - which one do you have? They are a doddle to configure (honest injun!). You should be able to connect the supply end to you existing outlet but if not try the experiment using the 13A 3 pin.

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
This is what I had set. I just checked and can’t delete the departure time?

58-FE54-BF-7681-4880-B227-EF06-E828-B264.jpg

B3-A69-CF4-6240-4316-BC8-F-AACB4860279-F.jpg

DA87-D808-B1-B2-4-AE6-8-C92-AFB5-F0-C3-AD18.jpg

E4497-ADA-5-B6-B-4083-A4-BF-23-FEDDFC33-A5.jpg
I think you will get what you want if you set your departure time to 4.30 AM in the timer and the preferred charging time at 00.30 to 4.30am in the profile.

I know this is not very elegant but I think it will work for what you want. Turn of the preheat/cool function as you do not need this as you have said.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I think you will get what you want if you set your departure time to 4.30 AM in the timer and the preferred charging time at 00.30 to 4.30am in the profile.

I know this is not very elegant but I think it will work for what you want. Turn of the preheat/cool function as you do not need this as you have said.
Think you may be onto something here, but what a mad convoluted way of achieving a very basic charging request! So frustrating that for 4 months being working absolutely fine just using a profile, software update applied, now ridiculously complex!

Just gone outside and amended the departure time to 04:30. I’m taking it as long as pre heat disabled the car won’t be doing anything untoward at 0430am?

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Your car will not do any thing untoward at 0430 I have mine set up like this for Saturday and Sunday.

During the week I have a a profile set for preferred charging 00.30 to 0430 and a departure timer at 0700 with pre heat/cool set and it charges between. 0030 and 0430 then uses power to heat the car from a round 0700.

If I turn the pre heat/cool off it seems to ignore the preferred charging time and just charges to be ready at 0700 as per your post showing the octopus energy use. This is not ideal!

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Your car will not do any thing untoward at 0430 I have mine set up like this for Saturday and Sunday.

During the week I have a a profile set for preferred charging 00.30 to 0430 and a departure timer at 0700 with pre heat/cool set and it charges between. 0030 and 0430 then uses power to heat the car from a round 0700.

If I turn the pre heat/cool off it seems to ignore the preferred charging time and just charges to be ready at 0700 as per your post showing the octopus energy use. This is not ideal!
Appreciate the input. The 5 pages on this thread were making me think I was mad, but you’ve surmised my issue perfectly ( and sticky plaster fix) and hence my sanity is reinstated! Out of interest have you had your software update and had to do this work around since or always been the case?

I leave around 7-730 most week days, but not all days. I may try your approach. Do you notice much % loss pre heating for 7, or indeed any gains? If you left at 730 or indeed much later on a specified day, would it be many wasted kwatts?

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
No problem hope it has worked for you overnight.

My Car was delivered March 2021 and already had the latest software when it arrived (I have checked with my Porsche Centre and also using info on this site about the software versions)

So I have always done it like this - I may try your original charging plan to see if my care have s the same.

With pre heating it often over shoots the charging target by 2-3% e.g I set to 80% but it is often at say 82% when I get in.

Re wastage if pre heating and not driving I will have look over the next few days and let you know but I'm it looks like it might be a few kW added just before the departure time but how much of that is 'wasted' as heat that you didn't need vs how much went into the battery would be hard to tell.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I think it's worth a reset all round.

I've lost track of what the actual issue is but if you are mixing Porsche charging components (timers / profiles) with non Porsche and using a non-Porsche charger I can see opportunity for the electronics to not work as intended.

If you could send a screen shot of the Porsche set up you tried - timers & profiles that would help to unravel.

If you can be bothered I would give the Porsche charger a crack - which one do you have? They are a doddle to configure (honest injun!). You should be able to connect the supply end to you existing outlet but if not try the experiment using the 13A 3 pin.
Hi, yes you may be right. Everything I have tried is within the thread with pics. Very simple summery, used to be able to charge between 0030–430 using just a profile for 4 months to get my cheap octopus electric. Got home, plugged in, charged for 4 hours, job done. Post software update, I can longer do this despite the various suggestions using timers/ profiles that I have tried.

Not sure which Porsche charger I have but my car is a my21 delivered mid december 2020. Which ever one came free with it at this point.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
No problem hope it has worked for you overnight.

My Car was delivered March 2021 and already had the latest software when it arrived (I have checked with my Porsche Centre and also using info on this site about the software versions)

So I have always done it like this - I may try your original charging plan to see if my care have s the same.

With pre heating it often over shoots the charging target by 2-3% e.g I set to 80% but it is often at say 82% when I get in.

Re wastage if pre heating and not driving I will have look over the next few days and let you know but I'm it looks like it might be a few kW added just before the departure time but how much of that is 'wasted' as heat that you didn't need vs how much went into the battery would be hard to tell.
Cheers. Well rather annoyingly moving to an 0430 departure made no difference. About to go to bed last night and noticed at 10pm my car had started charging despite a profile timer being set for 0030-0430. I can only guess that as my battery was at 60% and my max charge was 100% it decided it wouldn’t reach that charge in the 4 hours set so started charging early?

Really annoying. Basically impossible just to set a timer to charge 4 hours. Had to disable the Porsche timer and revert back to the pod point timer. This is ok and it works fine but doesn’t integrate with the app and the app shows charging error, so really wanted to stick with the car set up.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi, yes you may be right. Everything I have tried is within the thread with pics. Very simple summery, used to be able to charge between 0030–430 using just a profile for 4 months to get my cheap octopus electric. Got home, plugged in, charged for 4 hours, job done. Post software update, I can longer do this despite the various suggestions using timers/ profiles that I have tried.

Not sure which Porsche charger I have but my car is a my21 delivered mid december 2020. Which ever one came free with it at this point.
Ok so chances are you have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (22kW capable). If it has a display panel then it will be.

You have scored! This is an expensive charger and is perfectly matched to your car. I know what I would do!

I'll take a look at the thread and try and come up with another plan but please seriously consider ditching your current charger for the Porsche one meantime.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
My Taycan CT is on order so I have no hands on experience. But does this video help solve the issue? -
Hi, thanks for posting, and just re watched. Pretty sure I watched this vid pre delivery and very informative at the time., Only issue is he states you can just set a profile, as indeed I had been for 4 months but now post software update this information is incorrect as you can’t, so if my car isn’t broken and you now need to set a profile and a timer then this video is not accurate anymore.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ok so chances are you have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (22kW capable). If it has a display panel then it will be.

You have scored! This is an expensive charger and is perfectly matched to your car. I know what I would do!

I'll take a look at the thread and try and come up with another plan but please seriously consider ditching your current charger for the Porsche one meantime.
Yes, it has a panel, and looks expensive! From memory it was forced option circa £800. The reason I didn’t use it though as when researching I would of had to had a commando 32a socket installed to achieve 7kw on single phase. I didn’t fit the 32a socket as after the gif grant the podpoint seemed better value and a more permanent solution. and fitted the pod point which has been faultless. If I used the PMCC now I’d be halving my charging time wouldn’t I ? ( 3 pin, single phase, pmcc= 3.6kw per hour?)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, it has a panel, and looks expensive! From memory it was forced option circa £800. The reason I didn’t use it though as when researching I would of had to had a commando 32a socket installed to achieve 7kw on single phase. I didn’t fit the 32a socket as after the gif grant the podpoint seemed better value and a more permanent solution. and fitted the pod point which has been faultless. If I used the PMCC now I’d be halving my charging time wouldn’t I ? ( 3 pin, single phase, pmcc= 3.6kw per hour?)
It was actually free (Sep'20 - Dec'20 deliveries) as the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) (the standard one) was in short supply and so you were 'forced' to take the PMCC at no charge - that's why you've scored!

On any UK single phase supply you will get 7.4kW (your PodPoint is no different - electric is electric). To achieve this you need a 32A supply from your fuse box. You must have this already if you are getting 7kW from the PodPoint, right? If not, then you can't possibly be getting 7kW from the charger as the maths don't add up.

All of this would have cost you less (despite no grant being available on Porsche chargers) due to the fact that the PMCC was free.

Do you have a photo of the supply connection to the PodPoint and have you checked the PMCC bag for the cables you were supplied (picture too)?

In summary, 32A = 7.4kW to any charger. To get 11kW or 22kW (in the PMCC case) you need 3 phase supply which is just not cost effective or needed in this scenario.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
(Off topic, but interesting)
Surprisingly not with Lithium Ion batteries. Just measuring the battery voltage Isn’t very accurate measure of remaining capacity, especially if the battery is under load. The Battery Management Sytem essentially keeps track of power in and power out to estimate the battery charge level.

Still more accurate than guessing range though!
We all know the range is *estimated*, as pointed out, so is the battery %. Just changing the temperature makes % go up/down. All my cars for the last 20 years estimate driving range on how much gas and recent driving habits, these are always estimates. As batteries age the amount of power stored at X% also changes, so 85% today is not the same as 85% next year. Softare could take this into account if you charge to a "range" rather than %. I still contend I would prefer the car to estimate range during charging. I know others don't feel that way, fine allow configuration both % and (estimated) range.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
So, i thought I’d have another go at using the PCM to control the charge based on everything I’ve read. I now think my car is officially taking the p&ss out of me, or the software is corrupt.

Can anyone explain this?
Charge at 63%. Combo of timer/profile covering the following. Min charge set to 40% so wouldn’t start early.
Max charge set to 90%. 27% is achievable in 4 hours on my car as the smaller battery. Preferred timer set to 1230-0430am. Departure set for 730am. No pre warm selected.

Shot of my electricity usage that night.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? FB00-FED0-3-C67-4328-BC2-D-12403-DBE4-FD9

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 527-E80-BF-0-C47-4-ED1-B92-F-E63-F10979317

Car started charging at midnight. Stopped at 1230am. Then started charging at 430am. Brilliant. Literally managed to avoid all my cheap electric hours!

I unplugged it at 630am ish when realised it was charging.

All worked fine pre my software update. Could it be corrupt?