2,500 miles in 6 days!!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
future proofing is one reason, being able to charge at a higher rate is another.
porsche really screwed the pooch with this one. not only did I pay for a feature that does not work, it has eliminated my ability to be able to plug and charge at EA units and I firmly believe that it is the root of all the issues that I am having charging at the EA units.
what are the odds of porsche compensating for the cost and troubles they induced?
I'd be annoyed too. But compare to me, you are still in a good spot. I will most likely never experience plug and charge over here. The top charging rate on all the public DC chargers was 112 kW. Often I am around 80kW at any SoC. Some of the chargers don't work at all, some of the chargers require complicated app download after scanning QR codes. Takes 10 min to get it going...
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I'd be annoyed too. But compare to me, you are still in a good spot.
a good spot? not knowing if the car will charge or strand you hundreds of miles from home?
I have to disagree, if I cannot depend on the car being able to transport me beyond the range of one charge then the car is useless, it is not the right tool for the job I need it to do, it is unacceptable.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
a good spot? not knowing if the car will charge or strand you hundreds of miles from home?
I have to disagree, if I cannot depend on the car being able to transport me beyond the range of one charge then the car is useless, it is not the right tool for the job I need it to do, it is unacceptable.
Come on, you make it sound like you're flying to the Moon and there is only one single charger for your flight to Mars. :angel:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Come on, you make it sound like you're flying to the Moon and there is only one single charger for your flight to Mars. :angel:
wow. you just don't get it. how would you like being at a charger with 10 miles of range and the charger will not charge your car?

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
wow. you just don't get it. how would you like being at a charger with 10 miles of range and the charger will not charge your car?
Kort, sorry you are having so many issues with your Taycan. Sounds like you are pretty fed up with it.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Kort, sorry you are having so many issues with your Taycan. Sounds like you are pretty fed up with it.
I love the car but I cannot deal with it not being a reliable road tripper.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Been there, done that, even with ICE. Think, find a solution, move on.

I really sympathize, you have been cheated with plug and charge. I feel cheated with my overheating pano.

All I am saying, why are there many others who find the Taycan in the US with EA an "excellent" road tripper?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Been there, done that, even with ICE. Think, find a solution, move on.
please offer a solution to a charger that doesn't charge the car.

All I am saying, why are there many others who find the Taycan in the US with EA an "excellent" road tripper?
because 99.8% of people are not having an issue doesn't mean that I am not having an issue with charging.

/transmission off

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
...I blame it on the onboard 19.2 kw charging...
Have you asked your Porsche Center how hard it is to remove the 19.2 kW charger for the time being?
(With the idea that EA charging would work without it)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Have you asked your Porsche Center how hard it is to remove the 19.2 kW charger for the time being?
(With the idea that EA charging would work without it)
it is in dealership, if that is an option then they are the ones who should propose it. I do not think that removing it is a viable option and it is something that I paid for.
it appears that they delivered a car that is severely flawed.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
it is in dealership, if that is an option then they are the ones who should propose it. I do not think that removing it is a viable option and it is something that I paid for.
it appears that they delivered a car that is severely flawed.
I do not have Plug and Charge, as it is a 2020 model.

I am lost on why this Is such a big issue?

If you have made an agreement with the Porsche dealer about an upgrade to 19.2 kW charger.and your car spec includes Plug and Charge, I think you need to ask them to just put in a new 19.2 kW charger that meets that spec.??

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I do not have Plug and Charge, as it is a 2020 model.

I am lost on why this Is such a big issue?
why is it an issue? because I have a 50-50 chance of being able to start a charge at an EA charger without having to call EA for assistance, that causes a big delay in the process. In addition on two occasions I have been stranded at an EA charger because EA was unable to kick start their units to get a charging session going.
tell me how you would feel if you were at an EA charger with close to zero range and unable to charge?
the first time it happened I called porsche roadside, their response was that they would send a flatbed to take it to the closest dealership, I responded with fine now what am I supposed to do about getting out of the truck stop where the car was and travel the 160 miles to my home? their response was essentially you are on your own.

If the car cannot reliably charge while on a trip then the car is USELESS to me.

as for the 19.2 onboard charger Porsche announced subsequent to their delivering X amount of cars with that unit that the 19.2 charger causes a conflict with plug and charge and they stopped installing that component.
so here I am with a car with a defective component that limits the reliability of the vehicle to charge at an EA charger.

are you beginning to grasp my concerns?

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
At this point, non Tesla EVs are really in the development phase esp when it comes to longer distance travel (many would argue that is also true of Tesla's but for different reasons). The availability of chargers has improved incredibly over the past couple of years (owned an Etron for almost that long) but we still have a ways to go for a truly dependable charge experience. I tried out an EA charger in MA Sunday, 5 stations and all but one were out of service and the one that was 'in service' threw errors as soon as the startup was underway (it did do plug and charge, though, but whoop).
For longer trips, I think we need to keep working with PlugShare and ABRP, they are a big help for showing alternative chargers if trouble happens. And, just like during the gas crisis of those years ago when many gas stations were closed, we have to be a little conservative about remaining range before looking to charge. Sure, it's a lot of work, but it is already possible and even relatively easy to take that trip to most places; here's counting on it getting even easier as time goes by.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
At this point, non Tesla EVs are really in the development phase esp when it comes to longer distance travel (many would argue that is also true of Tesla's but for different reasons). The availability of chargers has improved incredibly over the past couple of years (owned an Etron for almost that long) but we still have a ways to go for a truly dependable charge experience. I tried out an EA charger in MA Sunday, 5 stations and all but one were out of service and the one that was 'in service' threw errors as soon as the startup was underway (it did do plug and charge, though, but whoop).
For longer trips, I think we need to keep working with PlugShare and ABRP, they are a big help for showing alternative chargers if trouble happens. And, just like during the gas crisis of those years ago when many gas stations were closed, we have to be a little conservative about remaining range before looking to charge. Sure, it's a lot of work, but it is already possible and even relatively easy to take that trip to most places; here's counting on it getting even easier as time goes by.
the problem is NOT with the charging units, yes EA can improve, the problem is that the car is not charging on working units.
the car is the problem not the EA chargers

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
the problem is NOT with the charging units, yes EA can improve, the problem is that the car is not charging on working units.
the car is the problem not the EA chargers
I found this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187873-0001.pdf
In this document Porsche states that it is the AC charging that is not working, but DC charging should work fine.
Also they specifically instruct the Porsche Centers not to deliver cars affected.
Does this problem applies to your issue?

PS. I used public information on the NHTSA website to generate this list of Porsche Taycan related documents on their website: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...h-cant-find-any-phones.5430/page-2#post-76852
Sponsored