Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
So, I’m going to be the oddball here and say I like the PCM and don’t really have any real issues with it.

I’ve read and read and read everyone’s complaints about Porsche’s software in general, and, I’m just not there.

I promise I tried. I tried really really hard to dislike the software, but I just don’t.

I tried to have a pretend conversion with someone on why I don’t like it and it went like this:
“Ugh, the software is terrible. Because…um…err…well, see here? This button…this button here…is too…square. I don’t like it.”

That’s all I could come up with. And it was a lie. I secretly liked that it was square. Don’t tell my imaginary friend. ?

I’m not referring to actual issues people have with things like FOD not working. Or isolated feature requests like saving the sport sound setting (FYI, i don’t have sport sound).
But rather just the overall software and UI in the car.

It could also be that 95% of the time I don’t use it. Most of the time, all I use is
  • the diamond button on the instrument cluster for homelink on a single garage door (works great)
  • the sport button (um…also works great..turns on every time I press it…unless it’s already on…then pressing it turns it off…seems okay)
  • the parking camera button when pulling into a parking space (yep…woks too).

Beyond that, drive the car and watch the instrument cluster. And the instrument cluster is outstanding.
??

But even when I do have the rare occasion to browse the PCM, I don’t find it awkward, difficult, slow, or confusing. It seems perfectly fine to me.

And actually I’m going to go a step further here and compliment Porsche on their touch screen ergonomics. Touch screens in cars are typically a pain because I can’t hold my hand outstretched steady and press whatever it is I’m trying to press without hitting 10 other wrong buttons, but that’s not an issue in the Taycan.
  • On the instrument cluster side buttons, I’m able to brace my hand on the side and accurately press the desired button.
  • On the PCM, I can brace my hand on the lower ledge and accurately press any button.
  • On the center console, I can either brace my hand on the side, or lightly rest my finger on the screen and then push harder when I’m on the desired button. Actually, here, because the buttons are fairly large and the screen is closer so my arm isn’t outstretched, I can usually easily just hit the button I want.
You’re welcome to try to convince me otherwise.

I’m currently looking for a support group for other people who also don’t hate the software. I’m available Tuesdays and Thursdays. Preferably one with coffee and donuts. ☕?
Sponsored

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
So, I’m going to be the oddball here and say I like the PCM and don’t really have any real issues with it.

I’ve read and read and read everyone’s complaints about Porsche’s software in general, and, I’m just not there.

I promise I tried. I tried really really hard to dislike the software, but I just don’t.

I tried to have a pretend conversion with someone on why I don’t like it and it went like this:
“Ugh, the software is terrible. Because…um…err…well, see here? This button…this button here…is too…square. I don’t like it.”

That’s all I could come up with. And it was a lie. I secretly liked that it was square. Don’t tell my imaginary friend. ?

I’m not referring to actual issues people have with things like FOD not working. Or isolated feature requests like saving the sport sound setting (FYI, i don’t have sport sound).
But rather just the overall software and UI in the car.

It could also be that 95% of the time I don’t use it. Most of the time, all I use is
  • the diamond button on the instrument cluster for homelink on a single garage door (works great)
  • the sport button (um…also works great..turns on every time I press it…unless it’s already on…then pressing it turns it off…seems okay)
  • the parking camera button when pulling into a parking space (yep…woks too).

Beyond that, drive the car and watch the instrument cluster. And the instrument cluster is outstanding.
??

But even when I do have the rare occasion to browse the PCM, I don’t find it awkward, difficult, slow, or confusing. It seems perfectly fine to me.

And actually I’m going to go a step further here and compliment Porsche on their touch screen ergonomics. Touch screens in cars are typically a pain because I can’t hold my hand outstretched steady and press whatever it is I’m trying to press without hitting 10 other wrong buttons, but that’s not an issue in the Taycan.
  • On the instrument cluster side buttons, I’m able to brace my hand on the side and accurately press the desired button.
  • On the PCM, I can brace my hand on the lower ledge and accurately press any button.
  • On the center console, I can either brace my hand on the side, or lightly rest my finger on the screen and then push harder when I’m on the desired button. Actually, here, because the buttons are fairly large and the screen is closer so my arm isn’t outstretched, I can usually easily just hit the button I want.

I’m currently looking for a support group for other people who also don’t hate the software. I’m available Tuesdays and Thursdays. Preferably one with coffee and donuts. ☕?

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
I agree! Other than a bit of a learning curve at first, which you typically have with a new car, computer, or cell phone platform (yes, this is a computer), I think it works perfectly well. Ok, the PCM has crashed a few times and started right back up, quickly. Name a computer/cell phone that hasn’t done this. Enjoy the ride! It’s an amazing car.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Like you said @Jhenson29 , when it runs without issues, which for me it does 99% of the time, it is a perfectly fine infotainment system. I like the design and simplicity. I mainly use the shortcuts on the climate control screen (at the top of it). I jump between navigation, media and carplay, like I said 99% of the time without any issues. Easy to use. It shows just what you need to see and not 200 different items and buttons. I do not want a gigantic screen where I have to move my head to see all buttons and options.

The cockpit/speedometer behind the steeringwheel to me is one of the best on the market.

My hope is that with PCM 6.0 the responsiveness and stability improves. Then it is all I need from an infotainment system.

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
coming from a 997... im just glad i have carplay.. scratch that im just glad i dont need airpods to listen to music while driving.

I really like how you can basically have all the information you need between the HUD and the instrument cluster, and after an initial setup, the rest is quickly configurable thru the wheel. The center screen does have some layers of menus to cycle thru, but really no big hassle when driving.

Only recently discovered the shortcuts on the climate screen which adds to the ease.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The center screen does have some layers of menus to cycle thru, but really no big hassle when driving.
My thoughts on the layers are:
  • These aren’t things I’m changing or accessing frequently
  • The screen only fits so much; they have to do something

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll add that I manage charging profiles and timers in the connect app, so I don’t use the PCM for that, but mainly because I’m not usually in my car when it strikes my fancy to make a change anyway.

Spida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cherry Red
Country flag
This thread has made my day!

I have a Taycan Turbo on order, I run a tech company for a living and consider myself both a car and tech enthusiast.

After reading the never ending whinging on here I was starting to get very nervous about the PCM.
Less worried now.

Thank You!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I like the -design- of the PCM just fine.

What I don't like are the bugs, which I've started writing down.
  • Configuring Apple Music -after- configuring Apple Podcasts clears podcast credentials
  • Apple Music stops working after a period of time, requiring changing profiles to fix
  • Occasionally, Apple Music will require pause/play to resume when tracks change
  • When carplay connects, it frequently stops playing the current media
  • Sometimes the PCM stops working entirely (no sound at all) such that only a reboot recovers it.
  • Reboot is not user-friendly and can't be done while driving, which needs to be fixed since it has to be done often.
If anyone else has PCM bugs please let me know as I'm maintaining a list and I'm sending it to them in hopes of getting them fixed.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
??

Please add me to the support group!
As a tech guy who used to wait in line for the new iPhones (ughh, why did I do that?!), I like it.

basic reason is that it does what I want, easily.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
  • When carplay connects, it frequently stops playing the current media
  • Sometimes the PCM stops working entirely (no sound at all) such that only a reboot recovers it.
Both never happened to me. I think once or twice I was trying to do too much and the PCM was stuck on a screen for a few seconds and then recovered. That was about it. Carplay works flawlessly for me. I sit down and before I reach the gate of my garage Carplay is already running with music from Spotify.

Let's hope the PCM 6.0 updates fixed these inconsistencies.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Totally agree.
I never had any difficulties or problems with the UI.
After some updates last year the sat view stays on now and parking cameras aren't turned on automatically any more (wasn't stored properly).
Those settings are now stored properly but it was a good design to have a choice (the checkbox).
The only thing I really hated was the fact you couldn't turn on the passenger display when you drive the car by yourself.
I mean, why pay for a cool feature but you can't use it?!
All these "issues" I send to Porsche (directly and through my dealer) and guess what?
All fixed!
Even the passenger display works while driving (ok, ok, ok, it's a workaround but still...).
Totally happy with my car's UI and enjoying every single ride. :)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Both never happened to me. I think once or twice I was trying to do too much and the PCM was stuck on a screen for a few seconds and then recovered. That was about it. Carplay works flawlessly for me. I sit down and before I reach the gate of my garage Carplay is already running with music from Spotify.
If your music source is CarPlay, you won't have an issue. The issue is when you're playing something from the built-in "Media" section of the PCM, then CarPlay connects (which I do not use for music) and it halts the playback.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I have a couple gripes, none of which are huge deals per se:

- The fact that some submenus themselves have hard to discover submenus (the 3 dot menu in bottom right), and it's not clear why some settings are in the 3 dot menu vs. not.
- The lack of customization of the instrument cluster. I haven't found any use for the left part of the cluster. iirc you can choose between g-forces which have no use to me in daily driving (and I'm not gonna be looking down there when I'm doing spirited driving for safety reasons) and tire pressure, which honestly is not something I want or need to have displayed at all times.
- The slight lagginess of the PCM in terms of touch response. It's a little off putting for 2021.
- The inability to show Carplay on anything but the center screen. I'd love to get my nav/media info on the instrument cluster.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a couple gripes, none of which are huge deals per se:

- The fact that some submenus themselves have hard to discover submenus (the 3 dot menu in bottom right), and it's not clear why some settings are in the 3 dot menu vs. not.
- The lack of customization of the instrument cluster. I haven't found any use for the left part of the cluster. iirc you can choose between g-forces which have no use to me in daily driving (and I'm not gonna be looking down there when I'm doing spirited driving for safety reasons) and tire pressure, which honestly is not something I want or need to have displayed at all times.
- The slight lagginess of the PCM in terms of touch response. It's a little off putting for 2021.
- The inability to show Carplay on anything but the center screen. I'd love to get my nav/media info on the instrument cluster.
+1 on the lack of customization for the instrument cluster. The two things that I most want to see - the outside temperature and the speed, are blocked by the steering wheel and I have to tilt my head to see them.
Sponsored