• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 20, 2024 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 20, 2024, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

TeslaTap Mini 60 Amp GROUP BUY

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Looks like David’s gonna be busy for a while…:)
Sponsored

Reactions: KTC

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Count me in for a 60. Thanks so much for arranging this!

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
NOTE: 80 amp is _ONLY_ required if your Taycan has the 19.2 kW charging option - otherwise 60 is more than sufficient

the only other reason to get the 80 AMP is for future vehicle compatibility - Lucid Air for example offers/comes-with 19.2 kW L2 AC charger

otherwise for most people the 60 amp is more than sufficient

I would be interested in this and it's a great idea - but I have sooooo many TeslaTaps I don't need another one.

enjoy everyone - this should be part of every serious EV owner's "kit" so they can charge where ever they happen to be.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My MY20 T4S has the optional on-board 150 Kw/400V DC charger (KM2). Should that influence whether I order a 60 or 80 amp Tesla Tap Mini?

Jeffgtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
No. That charger is for direct DC charging. The Tesla tap is for ac charging only and what should influence your decision is if you have the 11kwh or 19kwh charger installed on your vehicle.

or if you just want to spend an extra 40 to be futureproof for other cars/needs.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. That charger is for direct DC charging. The Tesla tap is for ac charging only and what should influence your decision is if you have the 11kwh or 19kwh charger installed on your vehicle.

or if you just want to spend an extra 40 to be futureproof for other cars/needs.
Thank you for your answer, it is very helpful. How would I know if my car has either the 11 or 19 kwh charger? Are those factory options?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thank you for your answer, it is very helpful. How would I know if my car has either the 11 or 19 kwh charger? Are those factory options?
standard is 11 kw
optional is 19.2 kw ($1680 option - but that just the Porsche cost more $$$ required to use this option post purchase - read below)

the standard Level 2 AC charger that comes installed w/Taycan is 9.6/11 kW AC/DC converter - this hardware is what is used to charge the battery when you are charging at home with the PMC+/PMCC or other North American Residential EV chargers

Porsche optionally sells/options a 19.2 kW AC/DC converter - this is a $1680 option that must be added at vehicle build time - to date porsche has not announced or supported adding this option later - this options makes more sense in Europe where many many many public chargers are 22 kW - in North America you are unlikley to encounter a large number of 19.2 kW in the wild.

to charge your Taycan in North america the following is required:

9.6 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 50 amp circuit this allows for a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
11 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 60 amp circuit this allows for a 48 amp charge rate - 11 kW
19.2 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 100 amp circuit this allows for a 80 amp charge rate - 19.2 kW

95% of the L2 AC EV chargers you will encounter in North America are 40 amps or less…
of the remaining 5% of L2 AC EV chargers that are more than 40 amps - I’m willing to bet most of those are 48/64/80 amp Tesla Destination chargers which would require a TeslaTap to use them.

to benefit from the 19.2 kW charge rate on Taycan in North America you need the following:
  • the $1680 option from Porsche on your Taycan Build
  • a 100 amp 240 volt circuit installed in your home - consult your local electrician about funding his child’s college education for this install cost
  • a one of several $1500 or more 100/80 AMP North American EVSE’
    • ClipperCreek is one example it is $2,195 is the cheapest 100/80 amp model they sell
when you are traveling away from home and find a public/business L2 AC charger they are unlikely to be more than 40 amps (9.6 kW) - they are in fact likely to be 30 amps (6 kW) chargers - the occassional public/business 19.2 kW L2 AC charger you find will mostly likly be a Tesla Destination charger and even most of those are 48 amps or less…

when away from home you will rely on your Taycan’s DC Fast Charging CCS plug - which are commerical grade 400/800 volt 500 amp monsters that can charge your Taycan in 30 minutes or less - yes less time than domino’s pizza delivery - charge rates for these beast range from 25 kW to 350 kW (270 kW for the Taycan maximum rate) - these chargers use an entirely separate/alternate charging system in your Taycan that has nothing to do what so ever with it’s AC/L2 charging support and is unafffected by the 11 kW vs. 19.2 kW choices…

you should only option the 19.2 kW charger for your Taycan if you plan on installing your own 100 amp circuit for your own home charger, or know specifically that your work or business that you frequent has one and you want o benefit from faster charging - most people will never encounter a 19.2 kW L2 AC charger in the wild…

you are better off with the 400V/150 kW $460 option - that is more likely to be used than the 19.2 kW AC/L2 option.

Last edited:

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
standard is 11 kw
optional is 19.2 kw ($1680 option - but that just the Porsche cost more $$$ required to use this option post purchase - read below)

the standard Level 2 AC charger that comes installed w/Taycan is 9.6/11 kW AC/DC converter - this hardware is what is used to charge the battery when you are charging at home with the PMC+/PMCC or other North American Residential EV chargers

Porsche optionally sells/options a 19.2 kW AC/DC converter - this is a $1680 option that must be added at vehicle build time - to date porsche has not announced or supported adding this option later - this options makes more sense in Europe where many many many public chargers are 22 kW - in North America you are unlikley to encounter a large number of 19.2 kW in the wild.

to charge your Taycan in North america the following is required:

9.6 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 50 amp circuit this allows for a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
11 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 60 amp circuit this allows for a 48 amp charge rate - 11 kW
19.2 kW charge rate requires a 240 volt 100 amp circuit this allows for a 80 amp charge rate - 19.2 kW

95% of the L2 AC EV chargers you will encounter in North America are 40 amps or less…
of the remaining 5% of L2 AC EV chargers that are more than 40 amps - I’m willing to bet most of those are 48/64/80 amp Tesla Destination chargers which would require a TeslaTap to use them.

to benefit from the 19.2 kW charge rate on Taycan in North America you need the following:
  • the $1680 option from Porsche on your Taycan Build
  • a 100 amp 240 volt circuit installed in your home - consult your local electrician about funding his child’s college education for this install cost
  • a one of several $1500 or more 100/80 AMP North American EVSE’
    • ClipperCreek is one example it is $2,195 is the cheapest 100/80 amp model they sell
when you are traveling away from home and find a public/business L2 AC charger they are unlikely to be more than 40 amps (9.6 kW) - they are in fact likely to be 30 amps (6 kW) chargers - the occassional public/business 19.2 kW L2 AC charger you find will mostly likly be a Tesla Destination charger and even most of those are 48 amps or less…

when away from home you will rely on your Taycan’s DC Fast Charging CCS plug - which are commerical grade 400/800 volt 500 amp monsters that can charge your Taycan in 30 minutes or less - yes less time than domino’s pizza delivery - charge rates for these beast range from 25 kW to 350 kW (270 kW for the Taycan maximum rate) - these chargers use an entirely separate/alternate charging system in your Taycan that has nothing to do what so ever with it’s AC/L2 charging support and is unafffected by the 11 kW vs. 19.2 kW choices…

you should only option the 19.2 kW charger for your Taycan if you plan on installing your own 100 amp circuit for your own home charger, or know specifically that your work or business that you frequent has one and you want o benefit from faster charging - most people will never encounter a 19.2 kW L2 AC charger in the wild…

you are better off with the 400V/150 kW $460 option - that is more likely to be used than the 19.2 kW AC/L2 option.
WOW! That is such a thorough answer, thank you for such a complete explanation. I did have the 400V/150 kW installed at the factory, and charge with the PMCC at home on a dedicated 240V 50 AMP circuit. When away from home I've charged using the Electrify America 350 chargers.

Porsche and their dealers do a poor job educating consumers on different charging systems and options. The technical issues and the decisions the customer must make when ordering a Taycan can be very consequential and effect both the cost of the car when purchasing it as well as its operation. I suspect making the wrong choice could lead customer dissatisfaction.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Porsche and their dealers do a poor job educating consumers on different charging systems and options. The technical issues and the decisions the customer must make when ordering a Taycan can be very consequential and effect both the cost of the car when purchasing it as well as its operation. I suspect making the wrong choice could lead customer dissatisfaction.
I agree that the dealers haven’t appeared to be educated enough for this, but the consumers need to be responsible as well.

These aren’t vague, cryptic Porsche options that require additional pictures or details from Porsche to sort out.

19.2kW on board AC Charger and 150kW/400V on board DC Charger are both pretty clear about what they are.

Don’t take this as faulting people for not knowing. Plenty of people don’t know. But the solution is for people to educate themselves, not blame the dealership for their own ignorance and poor choices.

And places like this forum and people like Dave are great resources to gain that education. So good on you for asking questions and taking the time to learn more. ?

FLGolfer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
HI:

Anyone interested in a group buy for the Tesla Tap Mini? I'm discussing with the manufacturer and they would like to know the interest level. Discount TBD.

Please holler so I can include you in the count.

Thanks.

1629205206538.png
I bought one of these to use with my previous Tesla charging plug. The Porsche Mobile connect is overkill for your garage. I used it about 10 times , before the the Tesla Tap Mini pulled apart. Disappointing to say the least. I would strongly urge you to use it occasionally, but don't depend on it for regular charging.