Yuk…… disgusting sight ….. Electrical System Error

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
A year 😂 i sold it back to dealer after waiting for a solution for 5 months 😕 it took another 7 months for them to finish the car and sell it. They changed battery twice. And rear engine’s ecu was supposedly the cause of the problem (car did not provide the true source of the issue which caused the massive delays).

switched to 911, so kind of a good switch.
Oh no 😱
I’m really hoping that does not happen to me. Sorry to hear what you went thru.
Sponsored

Art

First Name
Arto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S, 997 C4, Willys MB, 628 CSiA, ST4S, 750 Paso
Country flag
Same RED error here too. I just dragged my 4S -21 onto a flatbed after it was bricked 19.12.23.
I tried to get some reaction.. first mechanical key to get in - after melting the frozen lock.. then power to get the frunk open. There was 0.9 V in the 12V battery after staying there 6 days in it's own 11 kW EVSE.
After some tweaking I needed to use full 40A setting with our Li battery charger to get any electrical reaction. That was a lot of error messages!
So this car has been three times at Porsche Espoo with the description of faulty 12V battery or maintaining system. They always claimed it's caused by software issues and during these 2 years this has worked without changing the small Li battery - as magically after service the weather has been more mild.
Typically when starting the car when we had -10C you see how the 12V battery starts maybe at 13.3 V - goes to 12.6V in 11 seconds - then the DC/DC converter kicks in and in 24 seconds there's 14.4V. What kind of battery works like that? Have anybody recorded such behavior?
If we have -20C it will not start as I think the low limit of 12V circuit is achieved. Or?
So today we have -26C (and in the morning more). 4S was dragged with force on the wrecker as the electrical fail also decided to put on parking brakes and both back wheels refused to roll. Normally I don't use P as the brakes tend to freeze most of times..
12V stayed on ca. 10 minutes after 1 day 12V charging. Then total brick (a heavy one) again.
This should be my winter car but now I'm looking for winter tires for the 997C4..

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Over weekend I also have the Electrical System Error, Park Vehicle in Safe Place.
She's dead other than that display.
Dealership may be initiating 'Roadside Assist.

Correction....dealership suggested I try a jump of the 12V and if no success that I call Roadside Assist. I've done both.
It will be interesting to see how a tow can get this guy out of my garage :)

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Over weekend I also have the Electrical System Error, Park Vehicle in Safe Place.
She's dead other than that display.
Dealership may be initiating 'Roadside Assist.

Correction....dealership suggested I try a jump of the 12V and if no success that I call Roadside Assist. I've done both.
I was going to ask why the dealership would suggest boosting the 12 V battery when you can just read the voltage on the right tube of the dash and see if it's good. Then I realized your right tube is taken over by the error message. Maybe the OBDII reader / CarScanner app would have been an alternative if it wasn't convenient to just boost.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Just following up on my situation for the record.....and, if it's of help to anyone else should it occur.
12v battery is not the issue.....cell imbalance and apparently PCNA has authorized the case be escalated to Germany.
We'll see what next week brings.

Last edited:

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
well @GreggT you are further ahead than I am so far ..... dealer has been cooperative, my car was dropped off at the dealer by Porsche assist 30th December - and the dealer service dept. were on vacation until Tuesday this week - on Tuesday my car was car number 27 in line for attention with 11 service techs and bays (most of which were scheduled work).
anyway - Monday will be the first time they will have any news for me.

Incidentally - i went to the dealer last night after hours to get something important from the boot of my car which is in the service car park - and my spare key would not work at all - nothing at the car, totally dead - car was powered up and lockable when it was towed away - seems like either the 12v battery died in just a few days(weird) - or the service dept. have isolated it for safety reasons.

I will update when I know more - I am pretty laid back right now - not mad at them or the car, hopefully that persists .... as they say "control what you can control and let go of the rest....."

Sace

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Tourismo
Country flag
Typically when starting the car when we had -10C you see how the 12V battery starts maybe at 13.3 V - goes to 12.6V in 11 seconds - then the DC/DC converter kicks in and in 24 seconds there's 14.4V. What kind of battery works like that? Have anybody recorded such behavior?
The voltage raises because the DC/DC starts charging the battery. It's just measuring the voltage over the terminals and that will rise to the charging voltage. Mine does the same.

Art

First Name
Arto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S, 997 C4, Willys MB, 628 CSiA, ST4S, 750 Paso
Country flag
OK. Thanks for the info!
Then the voltage is more like DC/DC converter voltage rather than battery terminal voltage as 0.5 kWh Li battery should not act like that.
Anyhow the vehicle starting errors begin again 8th Dec which I reported to service. Closest time for service was 16th of Jan. After 19th of Dec it was no more driveable and it was dragged on a wrecker 1 Jan. Today they finally contacted and told they have ordered on board charger... which will take time.
We had good - 30 C testing weather here - most of last week!

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So an interim update on my red circle of death - they finally got to look at my car today - in an earlier post i mentioned that the car was completely dead when i went to the dealer on Thursday night, i was not sure if they isolated it or if the 12v battery was dead.
Tonight the service rep told me they boosted the 12v battery and the car started right up with no red circle or errors. They drove it into the service bay.
weird as when it happened i used my scanner and the 12v battery was at 13.4v when the red circle of death was there.
They are going to run as many tests as they need to tomorrow to see what they can find - i suspect they did not get the PIWIS on it yet.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm sure there is a list of various things that can precipitate a dead car that must be parked "in a safe place" however in my case there is no issue w/the 12V battery and we are able to see there is a cell imbalance in the main battery.
Coming up on a week waiting for direction of our next move from Germany.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
A couple items to check. I had a dead 12 V battery and the cause was my Porsche charger needed reprogramming. Evidently it was shipped with a program that looks for the Porsche optimization charging module which tells it what time of day to charge. My dealer told me that this is a European feature but shouldn’t be Programmed for the US. The constant back-and-forth between the charger and the car looking for something that didn’t exist resulted in the 12 V battery depleting and it was a pretty simple fix for the dealer to reprogram the charger.

The second thing I would do is take the car down to between 10 and 20% let it sit overnight and then recharge to 100% this should trigger any error codes that you might have if you have a bad battery cell. Good luck!

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple items to check. I had a dead 12 V battery and the cause was my Porsche charger needed reprogramming. Evidently it was shipped with a program that looks for the Porsche optimization charging module which tells it what time of day to charge. My dealer told me that this is a European feature but shouldn’t be Programmed for the US. The constant back-and-forth between the charger and the car looking for something that didn’t exist resulted in the 12 V battery depleting and it was a pretty simple fix for the dealer to reprogram the charger.

The second thing I would do is take the car down to between 10 and 20% let it sit overnight and then recharge to 100% this should trigger any error codes that you might have if you have a bad battery cell. Good luck!
I am not sure if this is response aimed at my original posted problem or one of the piggy back posters issues - but in my case the car is a 2020 so the Porsche charger programming matter is not applicable. Coincidentally I ran down my HV battery about two weeks earlier to 5%…. Left it for a few days at that, then charged up to 90% ….. this was done just as a good practice as it spends most if its life between 50-85%.
Hopefully I will get some more information from the dealer today.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag

If this is for me....appreciate the input however.....the Porsche charger has been into the dealer a couple of time for check/update.....and, on the second idea, I do not have the car. It's in the Service bay at the dealership.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am not sure if this is response aimed at my original posted problem or one of the piggy back posters issues - but in my case the car is a 2020 so the Porsche charger programming matter is not applicable. Coincidentally I ran down my HV battery about two weeks earlier to 5%…. Left it for a few days at that, then charged up to 90% ….. this was done just as a good practice as it spends most if its life between 50-85%.
Hopefully I will get some more information from the dealer today.
Mine is a 2020 as well. I’d definitely get it checked just to be sure.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Update on my issue.....detyermined that 4 cells need to be replaced.
Necessary parts are being ordered. Porsche tech needs to fly in and be present
It will be scheduled......but the wife's Taycan car will be down for some time.
Sponsored