100% charge showing 175 mile range

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've been meaning to carry out some tests to see if I can increase the battery temp without charging. One thought I've had is to load a long journey into the sat nav via the connect app just before my scheduled preheat is due to start. I'm hoping the car reacts to the journey by preconditioning the battery more.
Worth a try. I’ve loaded in a nearby fast charger into the nav while plugged-in to see whether that starts the preconditioning of the battery which I think Porsche says should happen, but I did not see any preconditioning while the car was plugged in. So possibly have to get going before the car starts preconditioning for charging. Maybe if the rapid charger is much further away though.
Sponsored

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Dress up super warm and don't use AC/heater for the trip and check consumption. What is the difference? :)

I will, for the purpose of science and report back next week... ;-)
But just so we're clear, it can easily get below -15C (0-5F) outside during weeks here in winter, so I don't intent to spend 3 months without AC/heater dressing up like Santa Claus in a Carmine red 150K $ sleigh...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
You are correct, it requires electricity of course. But for my model 3 Tesla it does something with the motors even if I do not drive the car. And that preheats the battery. It can draw up to my max 11kW of power but then the temperature of the motor can increase quite a lot! I have seen quite high temperature from the motor. It only draws 11 kW for a limited time and then settles in at 2.7 or 2.9 kW. Perhaps uses 3 phase in the beginning and then continues with just one phase. But it certainly can heat t he battery from 8 degrees to about 20 degrees in about 30 to 40 minutes!

I guess the same happens when you start driving the car and this will bring a very high consumption for short trips in the Tesla.

I have no idea on how this is implemented in the Taycan and I can not test it as yet since it is too warm still. Maybe I can do this later in the week as we are said to be in for some colder weather shortly. Will park the car outside and plug it in there to see?
Tesla motors use electro-magnets and can draw current while not moving.
Taycan motors use permanent magnets and draw no current unless moving (not aware of any motor heating / cooling circuits).

My strategy so far is to plug in when arriving (charges while warm) and pre-heat or cool an hour before leaving while still plugged in. Preheating raises the temperature in our 450 sq. ft. garage 3F, have not monitored battery.

Not enough miles yet to make useful mileage calculations (TS with summer tires on 21” CF aero wheels).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Tesla motors use electro-magnets and can draw current while not moving.
Taycan motors use permanent magnets and draw no current unless moving (not aware of any motor heating / cooling circuits).
Model 3 has permanent magnets as well. That was one of the new items in that model compared to Model S etc.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I would assume the heat pump would play a role (its a standard feature in my market).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I will, for the purpose of science and report back next week... ;-)
But just so we're clear, it can easily get below -15C (0-5F) outside during weeks here in winter, so I don't intent to spend 3 months without AC/heater dressing up like Santa Claus in a Carmine red 150K $ sleigh...
All for science! Looking forward to your report...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Model 3 has permanent magnets as well. That was one of the new items in that model compared to Model S etc.
That's what I've heard. Permanent magnet motors are the most efficient at the moment. With the disadvantage that they always either produce or consume electricity when in motion.

Isn't that the real reason Porsche put a gearbox in the back axle to completely decouple one drive train and only use the front motor on low powered cruising?

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Isn't that the real reason Porsche put a gearbox in the back axle to completely decouple one drive train and only use the front motor on low powered cruising?
Why would you need a gearbox to decouple from the front axle? Front & Rear axle not connected anyway only by wire.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not know about this at all. I do not believe that the gearbox was for this reason. Rather I think Porsche has the gearbox to get the lightning acceleration, but still get good efficiency at high motorway speeds. It would not get down very well if the Germans could not use the cars on their motorways? :);)

And as far as I know Tesla M3 can also decouple one of the motors when cruising, again for efficiency reasons.

H20

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Kuga; MG Midget; Ford Transit Connect
Country flag
Same here:

1606825794438.png

After 3700km range still goes up.
I was noting 270 miles full charge in the summer but now am not quite at 200 Mike’s in cold December. Quite s difference and on BBC an 80% rapid charge I’m really only good for 150 miles. My 4 tubes a year 375 miles trip needs two tops up and it’s a slight irritation.

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range B14879E8-228F-404A-B106-977DF6940A78

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 42E95A38-F4F6-4439-924A-B744EAD3F408

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Are there any "real" customer-based statistics regarding the average consumption for the various Taycan models with PB and PB+?

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I hope so. Mine has got to be the worst -was 100 percent at 152,miles after opening the door dropped to 99 and driving out my drive went down to 96!

Are there any "real" customer-based statistics regarding the average consumption for the various Taycan models with PB and PB+?
Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 20201204_093457

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I hope so. Mine has got to be the worst -was 100 percent at 152,miles after opening the door dropped to 99 and driving out my drive went down to 96!

20201204_093457.jpg
Geez. I am going on my first trip since the second lockdown over the weekend so can post some December figures. It’s about a 160 mile multi-leg round trip over two days and I was hoping I could do that without charging on the way, but sounds like range is still plummeting with temp. Will post the numbers and battery temps next week.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

20201204_093457.jpg
Wow!
Did you open the doors and leave it open for a few hours then?
And you must also have a hell of a long driveway?

Seriously what was the temperature and the battery temp then. Did you have the preheat running before unplugging?

That does certainly not sound normal to me!

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
It's not actually causing me an issue but it would be nice to get more range, although I'm not planning to drive everywhere at 60 !

Yesterday I went from Stafford to Slough. I could have got there without charging but I'd have stopped part way anyway. IN my case Banbury as there is a Costa and 10 instavolt 125KWH chargers. By the time I'd had a drink and used the loo it was nearly 90% and I did the same on the way back.

I think the Ionity chargers at Beaconsfield are nearly ready, that will make a big difference coming back from the South East and will only get better.

Geez. I am going on my first trip since the second lockdown over the weekend so can post some December figures. It’s about a 160 mile multi-leg round trip over two days and I was hoping I could do that without charging on the way, but sounds like range is still plummeting with temp. Will post the numbers and battery temps next week.
Sponsored