Zeegoff

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, GTS ST on order
Country flag
As a current model S owner with a 100kw battery pack, I've been fairly spoiled when it comes to range and charging. As I'm waiting for my ST I'm curious what real world numbers owners are seeing out of their Taycans is in winter? The tesla is a 2018 model so doesn't have the newest most efficient motors so will usually hover between 3.5 and 3kwh/mile during summer but in winter this will easily drop to 2.5 kwh/mile or less depending how cold and how long the journey is.
Sponsored

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Me too, but not many miles yet!
I got my car in the summer and it went from 280 to 250 and now around 215 miles at 100%

Some of this is the weather but also what kind of miles you drive.

I do motorway driving which i always thought would be more economical as it is in ICE but I’m told it’s not as good because of the speed you go at.

I have decided to just accept this fluctuation after 2500 miles!

I normally have been doing fast charging too.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I do motorway driving which i always thought would be more economical as it is in ICE but I’m told it’s not as good because of the speed you go at.
Energy use depends on powertrain efficiency and losses. The aero losses go up with speed squared so speed on motorways is lossy but at a steady speed in high gear an ICE is running its best efficiency which compensates a lot whereas an EV efficiency doesn't vary that much with speed so steady speed is no advantage.

On top of that regeneration allows EVs to be more efficient in varying speed situations whereas IC engines are not good in these circumstances plus they don't regenerate petrol as they slow down...

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Energy use depends on powertrain efficiency and losses. The aero losses go up with speed squared so speed on motorways is lossy but at a steady speed in high gear an ICE is running its best efficiency which compensates a lot whereas an EV efficiency doesn't vary that much with speed so steady speed is no advantage.

On top of that regeneration allows EVs to be more efficient in varying speed situations whereas IC engines are not good in these circumstances plus they don't regenerate petrol as they slow down...
My top power saving tip when on motorway is :

DRIVE BEHIND A BIG LORRY WHEN RANGE MIGHT BE AN ISSUE ! :)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My top power saving tip when on motorway is :

DRIVE BEHIND A BIG LORRY WHEN RANGE MIGHT BE AN ISSUE ! :)
Actually driving behind anything with a lot of drag helps range/fuel consumption enormously.

SUVs and delivery vans are effective and going faster than the trucks...

You don't need to get dangerously close to get a benefit either.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I find cruise control is helpful…will get adaptive cruise on next car as i hear its really good on my driving routes.

Meanwhile here in Spain this week i am driving a little Citreon C3. Only really needed to go to and from airport so it’s ok but took a moment to get used to. Gonna get a shock when i have to put fuel in it.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
2.8 on Dec 2nd on 90min long cross country journey with regen “on” (not auto) …. But 2.2 on short trips of 10-15 miles.
All on my Turbo (2022 8000 mile)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Meanwhile here in Spain this week i am driving a little Citreon C3
Both my co-driver and I learnt to drive in a Citroen C3 – our first car.

One of the best things about it is it had a digital speedometer – which turned out to be a godsend as while we owned it, Ireland moved from using miles per hour (mph) to kilometres per hour (kph) and being able to change the units really helped us adjust to the new measurements.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As a current model S owner with a 100kw battery pack, I've been fairly spoiled when it comes to range and charging. As I'm waiting for my ST I'm curious what real world numbers owners are seeing out of their Taycans is in winter? The tesla is a 2018 model so doesn't have the newest most efficient motors so will usually hover between 3.5 and 3kwh/mile during summer but in winter this will easily drop to 2.5 kwh/mile or less depending how cold and how long the journey is.
3.3mi/kWh (average over 18.7K miles).

3.3 mi/kWh summer months and 2.9 mi/kWh during winter and over 100 miles, Range Drive mode.

Short journeys - 2.2 mi/kWh when it's cold and AC set to normal.

OP
OP

Zeegoff

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, GTS ST on order
Country flag
Overall less efficient than the Tesla, which was expected but better figures than I thought, thanks everyone.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With 305 rear tires its expected to be less efficient than Tesla. Use 19 inch wheels and you'll get similar efficiency.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
With 305 rear tires its expected to be less efficient than Tesla. Use 19 inch wheels and you'll get similar efficiency.
tesla also use wheel trims rather than proper alloy wheels.
I last had them on a fiesta in the 90s !

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even with 19” wheels the Porsche has 30mm wider tyres than a model S.

Without being too rude to Tesla I have always thought a substantial part of the reason for their good range is their being under-tyred.
245 wide on Tesla S compared to 275 with 19” wheels, 285 with 20” wheels and 305 with 21” wheels on the Taycan.
Drag is close to being proportional to width. Maybe rolling resistance too.
Sponsored