Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

yankees757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Range Rover, AudiSQ5
Country flag
Has anyone asked why they need to order the battery from Germany? Isn't a 12v car battery a 12v car battery?

also question to those that have had an issue, which kind of charger do you use at home, 14-30 or 14-50? Had you used an EA charger or only home charging? Just trying to see if there is a pattern that may trigger it...so I can avoid doing that! Thanks in advance
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Has anyone asked why they need to order the battery from Germany? Isn't a 12v car battery a 12v car battery?

also question to those that have had an issue, which kind of charger do you use at home, 14-30 or 14-50? Had you used an EA charger or only home charging? Just trying to see if there is a pattern that may trigger it...so I can avoid doing that! Thanks in advance

If you READ the MAIN thread you may see that there very well may be a pattern and all of your questions are addressed. (HINT: It MIGHT be the issue only occurs if you contact you car via the Porsche Connect app to CHANGE a charging parameter).

Also, NO, 12v car batteries are not all the same. The battery in the Taycan is a LiFePO4 battery (not Lead-Acid). Although many new high-end cars are starting to use this type of battery, you can't use a "standard charger" to charge it. You need a battery charger specifically designed to charge LiFePO4 batteries...

Although I already have a proper charger (for my BMW M4), I am asking my dealer to please keep a Taycan battery in inventory in case I (or anyone else) may need it.

(Also, never had this issue in 5 years with my Tesla as previous posting suggests...)

yankees757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Range Rover, AudiSQ5
Country flag
If you READ the MAIN thread you may see that there very well may be a pattern and all of your questions are addressed. (HINT: It MIGHT be the issue only occurs if you contact you car via the Porsche Connect app to CHANGE a charging parameter).

Also, NO, 12v car batteries are not all the same. The battery in the Taycan is a LiFePO4 battery (not Lead-Acid). Although many new high-end cars are starting to use this type of battery, you can't use a "standard charger" to charge it. You need a battery charger specifically designed to charge LiFePO4 batteries...

Although I already have a proper charger (for my BMW M4), I am asking my dealer to please keep a Taycan battery in inventory in case I (or anyone else) may need it.

(Also, never had this issue in 5 years with my Tesla as previous posting suggests...)
That's a bit harsh for a friendly forum? Sorry If I don't spend my day reading ever thread and just come here for useful tips.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag

Know what Amp Hours the Taycan 12V is rated and are you using a 5, 10, or 20 amp trickle charger? Louv has a 10 amp. Thanks

Last edited:

KINGFISH

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 911
Country flag
Given all the concern regarding the 12V battery and electrical system failures, and per the recommendation of another user, I decided to start a poll. I would like our European counterparts to answer as well. I don't have my Taycan yet but it is scheduled to be delivered in late Oct and I am getting worried with all the issues people have been having with their 12V battery and their Taycan essentially becoming nonfunctional. Hopefully this will give us a better perspective on what percentage of owners here have actually had the problem and then see if it's related to the method of charging or their charger itself.
Has anyone tried using a battery conditioner when the car is garaged (mostly overnight). Wonder if it would keep the 12v from draining.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Some great posts have been added to this thread since last night, but I wanted to share a "humorous" text response from the head of service at my local Porsche dealership when I suggested that if Porsche knows this is a problem, why not keep an inventory of 12v batteries in inventory?

His reply is pretty funny considering all of the attention the 12v battery has be receiving over the past two days on this forum. While they are dismissing my Taycan as the first they have seen to have an issue, they have only sold 5 or 6 Taycan's so far this year. The are not accounting for the other ones that have been affected as well.

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 9.06.00 AM

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
As has been pointed out in multiple posts, the 12V batteries in electric vehicles are different from 12V batteries in ICE vehicles. Internal design is different, so the batteries are manufactured differently. What would have been nice is to hear from other manufacturers what was going on in their 12V battery failures. One thing that we know with a high degree of certainty is that electric vehicle 12V batteries do not tolerate overcharging or full discharge very well. In fact, some manufacturers have specifically indicated that full discharge will permanently damage their EV 12V batteries. For the Taycan, there are really two possibilities:
  1. The EV 12V batteries have a high failure rate. This is something that Porsche can only solve with a better stock of replacements, and, unfortunately, something that we owners will simply have to tolerate until the manufacturing becomes more reliable.
  2. There is a software loop that arises in specific situations that prevents the vehicle from properly going back to sleep and causes the vehicle to drain the battery. Based on some of the accounts, this is certainly possible. In the case of the Taycan, it could be the changing of the charging profile via the Porsche Connect app. There were multiple theories of what early Teslas were doing that could cause the loop. While this one is mysterious and hard to identify, I suppose it is the possibility that presents the opportunity to owners avoid the situation and/or for Porsche to solve the problem in the system.
I suppose it could be combination of both, which would be unfortunate. No matter, it seems like any owners with insight into their battery experiences could contribute to this community's knowledge by articulating the circumstances that preceded their 12V battery failures.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
So if YOU don't have this problem, it just doesn't exist?
I'm only quoting a forum where it IS a problem.
You can look for yourself, there are problems with 12V batteries on Teslas.
I'm not insinuating anything.

PCT

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any thoughts if the CTEK (56-926) LITHIUM US 12 Volt Battery Charger would work for this issue?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Has anyone tried using a battery conditioner when the car is garaged (mostly overnight). Wonder if it would keep the 12v from draining.
I keep my Taycan on a 800mAmp battery conditioner designed for Lithium batteries almost all the time. With this setup I have connected with the car from 1000 miles away via the Connect app and have changed my Timer profile without having any issues with the 12V battery since the conditioner manages it. Here is a link with details of what I use (post #4).
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...use-remote-was-not-operating.1856/#post-24127

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I keep my Taycan on a 800mAmp battery conditioner designed for Lithium batteries almost all the time. With this setup I have connected with the car from 1000 miles away via the Connect app and have changed my Timer profile without having any issues with the 12V battery since the conditioner manages it.
Do you have any sense of how much the conditioner has to work on those days that you have changed your timer profile? If there is a logging function, that would be particularly informative.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Some great posts have been added to this thread since last night, but I wanted to share a "humorous" text response from the head of service at my local Porsche dealership when I suggested that if Porsche knows this is a problem, why not keep an inventory of 12v batteries in inventory?

His reply is pretty funny considering all of the attention the 12v battery has be receiving over the past two days on this forum. While they are dismissing my Taycan as the first they have seen to have an issue, they have only sold 5 or 6 Taycan's so far this year. The are not accounting for the other ones that have been affected as well.

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 9.06.00 AM.jpg
Seems perfectly logical and valid business response.

(I also strongly believe it isn’t a solution to the root cause problem.)

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems perfectly logical and valid business response.

(I also strongly believe it isn’t a solution to the root cause problem.)
Guys, I'm starting to grow concerned that louv has been replaced by a Porsche bot. Do you think they had enough of his posts critiquing the Taycan's bugs and had him replaced? Is the real louv trapped in the basement of a Porsche dealership in Maine? :CWL:
Sponsored

Last edited: