18-way seats after sale

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is it possible to put in the 18-way seats with the side bolsters?

My 2022 4S is about 15 months old and I don’t think the 14-way seats (that are included in the Premium Package) are very comfortable. Does anyone have any workarounds/add-ons/suggestions to make the seats more comfortable, especially in the lower back area. The lumbar dial doesn’t do that much to hold you in. I would like to get the inflatable side bolsters.

Any constructive ideas (short of trading in the car for a new one) are very much appreciated.
Sponsored

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Try them before swapping! Sport seats are quite controversial. Many find them highly uncomfortable. Many very comfortable. I find them the best seats ever had in any car I had :)

OP
OP
Hockey29

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks @Crazymind. I did try them at PECLA (in a Turbo S) and really liked that the bolsters held me in. I thought they were comfortable and most of the driving I do is city around town. I also really liked the car, but that's a different conversation. :like:

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
I have 14-ways in my 992 and 18-ways in my Taycan Turbo. I'm not sure if it's an apples-to-apples comparison (ie whether 14 vs 18 is same in 992 and Taycan) but the 18s are MILES better. Wish I'd spec'ed them in my 992.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
In my opinion, there is a practicality component to all of the 4 door Porsches that doesnt necessarily apply to the 2 door models. The Taycan in particular, already has ingress challenges. Adding the 18 way bolsters makes it even less practical for a daily commuter. However, these can be great in a 911 or 718. Porsche is clever to offer additional-cost features for all of their products but they dont often make sense for their over weight 4 door vehicles which are primarily focused on work commutes, getting groceries and misc kid duties.

In the end, for this particular OP, it may be a matter of pursing the lumbar support by trading off the contortion required for the side bolsters/b-pillar/dashboard.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have serious back issues, multiple surgeries, etc., and I’ve found that the more bolstering the better because it takes the pressure off your core during cornering. In fourteen ways I find that I’m using my core and knees to stabilize myself. If I could have specced the full LWBS in my Taycan, I would have. So much easier to drive when I feel locked in.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
The 18 way seats are different between the model ranges. My wife hated the ones in my Macan but is fine with the Taycan seats. My understanding is that the only difference between 14 and 18 way is the bolsters. So if 14 way aren’t comfortable I don’t see that 18 way will be better. I think the other adjustments are the same

OP
OP
Hockey29

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you all and I appreciate everyone's insight on this. It's really helpful and food for thought.

Does anyone know if it's possible with fit/wiring, etc.? I assume they're not "plug and play" and not as simple as cost of new seats and a little bit of re-programming. Anyone have any insight into the execution of this?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you all and I appreciate everyone's insight on this. It's really helpful and food for thought.

Does anyone know if it's possible with fit/wiring, etc.? I assume they're not "plug and play" and not as simple as cost of new seats and a little bit of re-programming. Anyone have any insight into the execution of this?
Porsche tends to use the same wiring harnesses in their cars but governs functionality with software. I suspect that the same is the case with the sears.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I have 14-ways in my 992 and 18-ways in my Taycan Turbo. I'm not sure if it's an apples-to-apples comparison (ie whether 14 vs 18 is same in 992 and Taycan) but the 18s are MILES better. Wish I'd spec'ed them in my 992.
I
In my opinion, there is a practicality component to all of the 4 door Porsches that doesnt necessarily apply to the 2 door models. The Taycan in particular, already has ingress challenges. Adding the 18 way bolsters makes it even less practical for a daily commuter. However, these can be great in a 911 or 718. Porsche is clever to offer additional-cost features for all of their products but they dont often make sense for their over weight 4 door vehicles which are primarily focused on work commutes, getting groceries and misc kid duties.

In the end, for this particular OP, it may be a matter of pursing the lumbar support by trading off the contortion required for the side bolsters/b-pillar/dashboard.
I will gently disagree..............but realize that it is a personal choice/feel. I do have the 18 way seats in my Taycan and would not have a Taycan without them. I like the way that the seat and side bolsters hold you firmly in place during speedy cornering. Now, my kids are long grown and gone and I am the primary driver. Wife is a passenger and still thinks that holding on the the door bar increases her safety in tight speedy corners.........................😜

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I have serious back issues, multiple surgeries, etc., and I’ve found that the more bolstering the better because it takes the pressure off your core during cornering. In fourteen ways I find that I’m using my core and knees to stabilize myself. If I could have specced the full LWBS in my Taycan, I would have. So much easier to drive when I feel locked in.
Yes, yes, yes!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP, the hard part is going to be getting a set of 18 way seats, not compatability. Should be pretty plug and play.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I

I will gently disagree..............but realize that it is a personal choice/feel. I do have the 18 way seats in my Taycan and would not have a Taycan without them. I like the way that the seat and side bolsters hold you firmly in place during speedy cornering. Now, my kids are long grown and gone and I am the primary driver. Wife is a passenger and still thinks that holding on the the door bar increases her safety in tight speedy corners.........................😜
I respect that.
Sponsored