19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
So your vote is on I said in the latter part of the post - they are explaining it wrong to the customers.

I wonder how this works then someone sells their PnC enabled car. How does the old owner instantly sever the link to their payment account as soon as they hand over the keys to the new person.
the EA account is linked to the porsche account, upon shifting the vehicle delete the info in the PCM and delete the account on the my porsche site.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
the EA account is linked to the porsche account, upon shifting the vehicle delete the info in the PCM and delete the account on the my porsche site.
It sounds like your account delete/unlink might take a couple of weeks to propagate through their systems, so you might still pay for first couple of weeks of charging the car you sold.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It sounds like your account delete/unlink might take a couple of weeks to propagate through their systems, so you might still pay for first couple of weeks of charging the car you sold.
No, I don’t believe this is the case.

The certificate IDs the car and nothing more. Think of it is as a VIN. Your Porsche ID identifies you. In Porsche’s system there is a record that links the two. When you sell the car you break the linkage which will update in milliseconds.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, I don’t believe this is the case.

The certificate IDs the car and nothing more. Think of it is as a VIN. Your Porsche ID identifies you. In Porsche’s system there is a record that links the two. When you sell the car you break the linkage which will update in milliseconds.
The car's VIN does not change. I agree there is a linkage somewhere between the VIN and your Porsche account. However, since it takes up to 2 weeks for the new link to propagate, what makes you think the unlinking only takes milliseconds to propagate?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
The car's VIN does not change. I agree there is a linkage somewhere between the VIN and your Porsche account. However, since it takes up to 2 weeks for the new link to propagate, what makes you think the unlinking only takes milliseconds to propagate?
I think that you might be seeing a problem that isn't there

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The link doesn’t take two weeks to propagate. This is a one-time, one-off situation to propagate the car’s ID, not the linkage. Think of it this way..

A car shipped from the factory with a bogus VIN. Rather than replace the bad VIN plates which would be expensive, they brought the car in, made note of the bogus VIN, and then sent it to DMV/other gov bodies and said “11122233” is a 2021 Porsche Taycan. They still don’t know that it belongs to John Smith, that’s a different linkage. And when John Smith sells the car, they don’t have to do anything to the VIN.

As you said, the VIN doesn’t change.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The link doesn’t take two weeks to propagate. This is a one-time, one-off situation to propagate the car’s ID, not the linkage. Think of it this way..

A car shipped from the factory with a bogus VIN. Rather than replace the bad VIN plates which would be expensive, they brought the car in, made note of the bogus VIN, and then sent it to DMV/other gov bodies and said “11122233” is a 2021 Porsche Taycan. They still don’t know that it belongs to John Smith, that’s a different linkage. And when John Smith sells the car, they don’t have to do anything to the VIN.

As you said, the VIN doesn’t change.
So what you are saying is the certificate that identifies the car (its VIN) was bad from the factory. So a new certificate was loaded - why does it need to be synced up to anything outside the car? The way certificates work they are simply signed by a Certificate Authority (CA) and instantly everyone who trusts the CA accepts the certificate, there is no need for propagation. The very same principle like when you setup a new https website, you get a certificate signed by a one of the web CA's and instantly every browser in the world will trust this certificate. Even if they updated the car's VIN (which they don't), there still would be no need to sync up with anything outside the car except for the link to who is paying for charging for that VIN.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think that you might be seeing a problem that isn't there
This thread is starting to sound like a problem that wasn't there.

I didn't mean to stir up a discussion about the mechanism of how PnC works. I was just trying to let anyone interested know that the experience was good, the explanation from the service advisor was spot on, and I am still waiting for PnC to be activated.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So what you are saying is the certificate that identifies the car (its VIN) was bad from the factory. So a new certificate was loaded - why does it need to be synced up to anything outside the car? The way certificates work they are simply signed by a Certificate Authority (CA) and instantly everyone who trusts the CA accepts the certificate, there is no need for propagation. The very same principle like when you setup a new https website, you get a certificate signed by a one of the web CA's and instantly every browser in the world will trust this certificate. Even if they updated the car's VIN (which they don't), there still would be no need to sync up with anything outside the car except for the link to who is paying for charging for that VIN.
What you’re saying is most likely true for 99.9% of the cars. Because the “bad” cert was already installed, and because they likely don’t have the ability to replace the cert without replacing the charger (in the field), they devised a hack to accept the bad cert across the network. They can’t sign it like they normally would.

A reminder this is all educated conjuncture on my part. It’s possible it doesn’t work this way, and/or it is a poor design. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was going to post about my experience today but Blulite pretty much covered the critical points. His experience matched my own. Looking forward to trying out Plug and Charge after waiting one or two weeks.

A few other minor bullet points for those going through the same process:

• Very few people relatively speaking have the 19.2kW onboard charger so don't be surprised if your repair team initially tells you that your car is already up to date. When they do, point them to the following. It doesn't mean anything to us, but it means something to them:
    • Porsche Bulletin: 2120
    • prms-2639739
    • on board charger firmware: 1256 or higher
  • Porsche won't install the necessary patch unless they can reproduce the problem. You should report one of the following problems:
    • Plug and Charge option fails to appear on Battery screen: This is the quickest and easiest for them to confirm.
    • Unable to Plug and Charge at EA: If you use this as your problem, they'll drive your car to an EA charger to confirm. They'll drive it to EA again after the update and attempt to charge using P&C. It'll fail, of course, because it takes a week or two for your data to be reflected in the system. These trips they make to EA will add a day to the process so if you go this route, make sure you have a loaner.
  • Make sure your service advisor has your username and password, as well as the four digit security code you chose at signup. Having this information makes their work easier.
  • I always drive with Privacy Mode turned on (I don't use the Connect app). During your one to two week post-install waiting period, make sure it's turned off. Having it turned on may prevent the car from chatting with Porsche's servers. Once P&C is working for you, you can turn it back on.
Excited to get this working. Good luck to you all!
Just wanted to reply to my own comment with an update. Plug and Charge now works. I only waited a couple of days after installing the software patch, not the recommended one or two weeks, but it works now nonetheless.

The way you'll know that your P&C is actually working, as opposed you just getting a free charge at a malfunctioning unit, is:
  • you'll see a "processing payment..." step on the EA charger display.
  • A $0 cost charging event will appear in the Charging History log of the Charging app.
This is a major improvement to the Taycan experience for those of us unfortunate enough to have the 19.2kW onboard charger. It's not just about plugging in without having to fiddle around with a poorly designed app -- although to be sure, that's huge and it's a feature that we were supposed to have on day one. But beyond that, a lot of EA chargers that may have seemed to work for every Taycan owner except you (with or without the app) will now work properly for you!

TurboBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Another anecdotal confirmation: after my failed attempt to Plug and Charge ~24 hours after receiving the update, my second attempt at ~7 days after the update was successful.

However, this time the EA screen indicated the vehicle was requesting ~118 kW but was only charging at ~78 kW. A short time later it dropped to ~99 kW and ~66 kW, respectively. 75 to 80% SoC. sigh

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another anecdotal confirmation: after my failed attempt to Plug and Charge ~24 hours after receiving the update, my second attempt at ~7 days after the update was successful.

However, this time the EA screen indicated the vehicle was requesting ~118 kW but was only charging at ~78 kW. A short time later it dropped to ~99 kW and ~66 kW, respectively. 75 to 80% SoC. sigh
I’ve noticed the display on the EA pedestal has a delay, but I’ve not noticed such a discrepancy. I assume this is what’s being displayed inside your car on the lower center screen?

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Plug and Charge now works! Five days after the update.

TurboBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ve noticed the display on the EA pedestal has a delay, but I’ve not noticed such a discrepancy. I assume this is what’s being displayed inside your car on the lower center screen?
The car reported what the EA station was delivering. This is the first time I've noticed a discrepancy between these two values as well.
Sponsored