First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Arteon
Country flag
Hi Forum.
Not a Taycan owner yet, but hopefully soon! I am on the lookout for a Taycan 4S, and managed to find one with the specs i want.
However, before hitting the purchase button, is there anything i should be aware of the 2020 model? And is there anything else i should be aware of when buying a used Taycan? More along the lines of possible PCM and Porsche Connect issues or considerations when buying second hand.
Thanks guys!
Sponsored

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I've had my MY2020 4S since Sept 2020. 14,000 miles and really happy with it. It's simply spectacular to drive. I've taken a few long roadtrips and it did great - plenty of space and comfortable and fun. 2020 issues include no plug&charge for EA chargers (but I don't find this to be a big issue because the app works fine), I've had some rattles that had to be tracked down and fixed, and there have been a couple of software updates to the vehicle the dealer needs to do - those are important to get done if they aren't already. Overall a fantastic car and I'd definitely do it again! Enjoy.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi Forum.
Not a Taycan owner yet, but hopefully soon! I am on the lookout for a Taycan 4S, and managed to find one with the specs i want.
However, before hitting the purchase button, is there anything i should be aware of the 2020 model? And is there anything else i should be aware of when buying a used Taycan? More along the lines of possible PCM and Porsche Connect issues or considerations when buying second hand.
Thanks guys!
My 2020 4S was delivered in Aug of 2020 and I've had no problems. Maybe you can see the service records to see if the car you're looking at has been in the shop a lot for recurring problems that have been difficult to solve.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
My T4S was one of the first to be delivered in Munich, we picked it up on February 15th, 2020. It had numerous problems, some severe, such as having to be towed due to an electrical system fault. However over time, with the large software updates that Porsche did, the problems pretty much all disappeared. As far as I can tell, all the functionality that I use in my daily driving (of over 20.000kms) works well. The last problem was a failed heat pump, where it took a long time to get the replacement part.

So I'd ask your seller...
  • Whether he encountered any problems...
  • How the problems were fixed..
  • If some of the problems persisted and were unfixable until now...
  • If you get a proper used-car guarantee.
I would not buy a used 2020 Taycan 4S without a used-car guarantee. But with the guarantee, a full-service history and assurances about any problems the car might have had, I would consider buying it.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: I am exchanging the 4S against a GTS, hopefully next week.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a MY2020. The 12v issues appear to be fixed, however there are on going problems with the PCM with functions seeming to drop off randomly, to reappear at some future date. But I think most of the Taycans are susceptible to this. But nothing major and no complaints about the driving experience.

What is the mileage and does it have the extended warranty? I would also consider a battery capacity test.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Forum.
Thanks guys!
MY21 would be better (wireless Apple Carplay).

Franchised Dealer should provide a 2 yr warranty plus the battery has 8yr warranty.

Should be fine.

OP
OP

JoeExotic

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Arteon
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies! I’ve heard from several others that the heating in the 2020 model was an issue, with the heater needing replacement.
The car that I am looking at is from a private seller, which is why i want to be as thorough as possible before buying.
No issues with Porsche Connect with the car having being registered there before?

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag

Franchised Dealer should provide a 2 yr warranty plus the battery has 8yr warranty.

Should be fine.
My MY2020 has wireless Apple CarPlay. That was added in one of the big software updates.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies! I’ve heard from several others that the heating in the 2020 model was an issue, with the heater needing replacement.
The car that I am looking at is from a private seller, which is why i want to be as thorough as possible before buying.
No issues with Porsche Connect with the car having being registered there before?
Porsche Connect - should be ok as long as the VIN etc is transferred and assigned to your own id. Original id should be purged from the car etc.

Not sure I would purchase from anywhere else but a franchised dealer given the complexities etc of the car and the warranties.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Should be fine.
Does the 4S not have wireless AppleCarplay? My car is a 2020 Turbo, but I certainly have wireless CarPlay!

Seem very unlikely that there would be any difference for that functionality between 4S and Turbo etc.?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does the 4S not have wireless AppleCarplay? My car is a 2020 Turbo, but I certainly have wireless CarPlay!

Seem very unlikely that there would be any difference for that functionality between 4S and Turbo etc.?
I thought it was absent for MY20 but may have been added as part of the major software patches rolled out last year - I could be wrong of course.

It was a MY gap rather than a model option / differentiator.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
That sounds like an issue with a specific car. I never had an issue with the heater, nor have my friends and co-workers who have 2020s. I would also note that the 2020 should also have wireless CarPlay if it is current with dealer maintenance and upgrades/recalls (mine does).

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Should be fine.
There's wireless apple car play on the 2020's after the first update that happened last year.

Satish141

First Name
Satish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335D
Country flag
Hi Forum.
Thanks guys!
I am in the same boat as you, bue I hear a lot of 12V and heating issues, plus prices on AT going down swiftly makes me worry whether this is a right choice our not. I actually like the look of the Taycan and would prefer to buy this to a Tesla.
Sponsored