obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
Daned - as far as I understand it, the new remote parking assist option includes cross traffic warning, exit warning and maneuvering assist - none of these are included in the Active parking Assist (incl in Tech pkg) and Lane Change Assist (incl in Premium pkg).
My build w/delivery scheduled for Nov is a 2022 model but decided so far not to include this remote parking option. More critically (and a totally different topic!), with the 2022 model they seemed to have ironed out issues with the 19.2kW onboard charger which I think I will be including at this point!
I'm unsure about this because if you try to select Remote Parking Assist, it will ask you to remove the Technology Package.

The configurator still calls the option Remote Parking Assist under the "a la cart" options, but the copy text calls it Active Parking Assist under the description for Technology Package. My guess is that they didn't update the text properly. The Technology Package is more expensive for the 2022 model to seemingly reflect the new features. Also, I believe the parking assist hardware would be the same between the old/new versions.

As an aside, I have the same allocation timing as you... Sept build for a Nov/Dec delivery on a 4S.

I had the 19.2kW charger selected but ultimately dropped the option because, in reading this forum, it seems like there's quite a bit of home install needed: 100a separate breaker for a wired 80a charger (not an outlet for a mobile charger). I already have a 240v in the garage and an Electrify America station down the street... hopefully I don't regret it!
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I'm unsure about this because if you try to select Remote Parking Assist, it will ask you to remove the Technology Package.

The configurator still calls the option Remote Parking Assist under the "a la cart" options, but the copy text calls it Active Parking Assist under the description for Technology Package. My guess is that they didn't update the text properly. The Technology Package is more expensive for the 2022 model to seemingly reflect the new features. Also, I believe the parking assist hardware would be the same between the old/new versions.

As an aside, I have the same allocation timing as you... Sept build for a Nov/Dec delivery on a 4S.

I had the 19.2kW charger selected but ultimately dropped the option because, in reading this forum, it seems like there's quite a bit of home install needed: 100a separate breaker for a wired 80a charger (not an outlet for a mobile charger). I already have a 240v in the garage and an Electrify America station down the street... hopefully I don't regret it!
Ah indeed there is def some lag in the description updates online - I have my SA working this to see exactly what possible addl charges I get slammed with! :)
Good info on the 19.2kW - had not dug into this enough yet and was not aware you needed the 100 amp upgrade - a description elsewhere described it as boosting I.e. doubling std 240 charging but no mention of socket upgrade! I guess the other potential use would be at charging stations where this might be more effective presuming they had upgraded power if and when DC fast chargers were unavailable? Would be good to know …

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah indeed there is def some lag in the description updates online - I have my SA working this to see exactly what possible addl charges I get slammed with! :)
Good info on the 19.2kW - had not dug into this enough yet and was not aware you needed the 100 amp upgrade - a description elsewhere described it as boosting I.e. doubling std 240 charging but no mention of socket upgrade! I guess the other potential use would be at charging stations where this might be more effective presuming they had upgraded power if and when DC fast chargers were unavailable? Would be good to know …
Actually does anyone know if the 240v chargers at EA and other provider stations are setup as 80A on 100amp breakers ? Might go a long way to justifying the 19.2kW onboard charger.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Actually does anyone know if the 240v chargers at EA and other provider stations are setup as 80A on 100amp breakers ? Might go a long way to justifying the 19.2kW onboard charger.
I believe that these are different concepts. The 19.2kW onboard charger is relevant for AC charging only. I don't believe DC charging utilizes any onboard charger...just straight DC current right into the battery pack.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe that these are different concepts. The 19.2kW onboard charger is relevant for AC charging only. I don't believe DC charging utilizes any onboard charger...just straight DC current right into the battery pack.
May have mud-understood my post - I was referring to AC charging at EA and other stations when DC chargers were all occupied - in that scenario any boosted charge rate the 19.2 onboard unit could provide would be a great advantage. Fully understand that the 19.2 is AC only. And if it warrants a dedicated 80 A charger in home then less attractive option. From what my SA just told me though it seems that most charging stations like EA in fact do not allow you to make use of this 19.2kW booster and their AC chargers are all 50A! If so then decision made :(

Reactions: cfp

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
May have mud-understood my post - I was referring to AC charging at EA and other stations when DC chargers were all occupied - in that scenario any boosted charge rate the 19.2 onboard unit could provide would be a great advantage. Fully understand that the 19.2 is AC only. And if it warrants a dedicated 80 A charger in home then less attractive option. From what my SA just told me though it seems that most charging stations like EA in fact do not allow you to make use of this 19.2kW booster and their AC chargers are all 50A! If so then decision made :(
Ah ok. I definitely misunderstood because I've never heard of AC charging at EA. Still seems like there's some conflation of terms here. There are DC chargers that are 400v and 50 kw (and much less common, 400v and 150 kw). An AC charger on a 50A circuit can only provide 9.6 kWh. So you would need a 100A circuit (delivering a continuous load of 80A) to get 19.2 kWh. But maybe there's something I don't know about?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah ok. I definitely misunderstood because I've never heard of AC charging at EA. Still seems like there's some conflation of terms here. There are DC chargers that are 400v and 50 kw (and much less common, 400v and 150 kw). An AC charger on a 50A circuit can only provide 9.6 kWh. So you would need a 100A circuit (delivering a continuous load of 80A) to get 19.2 kWh. But maybe there's something I don't know about?
No that’s exactly it :) - I don’t want to muck with an 80 amp charger setup at home and if as I now know (I think!!) you cannot avail of this higher amperage AC chargers at any EA stations etc then the 19.2kW is basically fairly useless in NA!

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
To follow on, would the option for the onboard 400v/150kw DC be worthwhile if the news about Tesla opening up it's supercharger network plays out?

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No that’s exactly it :) - I don’t want to muck with an 80 amp charger setup at home and if as I now know (I think!!) you cannot avail of this higher amperage AC chargers at any EA stations etc then the 19.2kW is basically fairly useless in NA!
Yeah, I'm not an expert but I think the 19.2 kw charger is really only useful if you plan to use it at home. Even the Level 2 EVSE's that you might find in the city (parking garages or curbside) or "destination" chargers (at hotels or restaurants) seem to only be on 50A or 60A circuits. Maybe this changes in the future but right now, if you're not using it at home, you're unlikely to use it. Maybe others have had different experiences?

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To follow on, would the option for the onboard 400v/150kw DC be worthwhile if the news about Tesla opening up it's supercharger network plays out?
I think so!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent question - would be good to get a definitive answer on this i.e. that Porche's onboard unit would work seamlessly with 'freed-up' Tesla superchargers.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Excellent question - would be good to get a definitive answer on this i.e. that Porche's onboard unit would work seamlessly with 'freed-up' Tesla superchargers.
If you add the normal "Tesla date" buffer, you should probably add another 12 months at a minimum. So, I figure EOY 2022.

Then the question is, how are they handling that? Is there an extra adapter to buy? Will they charge extra for non-Tesla cars? etc. (my bet: Elon, for all the criticism he gets, actually wants to enable sustainable transportation, so I think they'll find a reasonable way)

Finally, does EA have enough coverage by EOY 2022? Did they fix the reliability issues? (my bet: no, it'll get much worse before it gets better, with the flood of slower charging cars etc.) Eventually they will of course figure it out, and/or there will be plenty chargers of all kinds of providers around.

So then the question is: how long are you keeping the car. For a 2-3 year lease, I still don't think this is worth it. For a car you intend to keep for at least 5 years or so, I think it might be worth it for some middle ground window (2023-2024 ??), for some people. But it really depends.

What if Tesla in the US decides to put a 800V CCS charger at all/most/some supercharger locations?

Also, how often are you planning on using a Tesla supercharger as a backup plan? What is your pain threshold for charging at 50kw on those outlier days when EA failed you? I figure, worst case scenario you're topping off for 45 min instead of 15, so you can figure out what the outside chance of that happening is worth to you. At ~$500, personally I'll take the risk.

(also, I'd love to know how much weight this adds, and what the risk is of this interfering with other charging/electronics aspects is - seems to me the simpler you keep the Taycan in those regards, the better :) )

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you add the normal "Tesla date" buffer, you should probably add another 12 months at a minimum. So, I figure EOY 2022.

Then the question is, how are they handling that? Is there an extra adapter to buy? Will they charge extra for non-Tesla cars? etc. (my bet: Elon, for all the criticism he gets, actually wants to enable sustainable transportation, so I think they'll find a reasonable way)

Finally, does EA have enough coverage by EOY 2022? Did they fix the reliability issues? (my bet: no, it'll get much worse before it gets better, with the flood of slower charging cars etc.) Eventually they will of course figure it out, and/or there will be plenty chargers of all kinds of providers around.

So then the question is: how long are you keeping the car. For a 2-3 year lease, I still don't think this is worth it. For a car you intend to keep for at least 5 years or so, I think it might be worth it for some middle ground window (2023-2024 ??), for some people. But it really depends.

What if Tesla in the US decides to put a 800V CCS charger at all/most/some supercharger locations?

Also, how often are you planning on using a Tesla supercharger as a backup plan? What is your pain threshold for charging at 50kw on those outlier days when EA failed you? I figure, worst case scenario you're topping off for 45 min instead of 15, so you can figure out what the outside chance of that happening is worth to you. At ~$500, personally I'll take the risk.

(also, I'd love to know how much weight this adds, and what the risk is of this interfering with other charging/electronics aspects is - seems to me the simpler you keep the Taycan in those regards, the better :) )
Agree with all the above! Mine is a keeper i.e. purchase not a lease and as you say for the minimal extra cost the bet seems like a fairly smart one :)
I was curious too re weight but suspect fairly small - also, fairly certain it is not, but assume it does not piggy back in some way on the 19.2 kW charger i.e. that it is standalone.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

Tesla "opening up" is strictly for subsidies, starting with Norway & Germany, then they will try and get the Biden US EV infrastructure subsidies when that's released.` I would expect minimal effort/Capex in order to get those subsidies.
Its a financial drain for them already.

Being in California, EA and other networks are better anyway because they are available. There are a few SuperCharger stations within a few miles of me and they are always packed, with lines

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Meant to add this - snapshot of my build and a really rough and ready graphically altered version to get a feel for the stance I want (FVD suspension links) and with painted wheel arches body color - really like this version :)!

Porsche Taycan 2022 Taycan Changes Summary CT4S Comparo
Sponsored