W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Screenshot from configurator today....Does this mean the 22kw charger issue is sorted on new cars so you can charge 'safely' at home on a single phase charger at home without dialling the power down??

Screenshot_20220508-192411_Samsung Internet.jpg
Yes - no issue going forward.

Do you specifically need a 22kW.charger given the cost and using DC 50kW would be so much quicker?

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Yes - no issue going forward.

Do you specifically need a 22kW.charger given the cost and using DC 50kW would be so much quicker?
I'm in Scotland too and a lot of the public chargers are still AC 22kw. Would reduce charge time by half. BTW this wasn't specifically for me but more for info as well as possibility of charging on Tesla network...if that ever happens...however I'm no expert on the charging nuances

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm in Scotland too and a lot of the public chargers are still AC 22kw. Would reduce charge time by half. BTW this wasn't specifically for me but more for info as well as possibility of charging on Tesla network...if that ever happens...however I'm no expert on the charging nuances
There is significant DC (>= 50kW) coverage. I don't have the 22kW AC option nor have I felt that I needed it in 16 months of ownership.

I don't follow your comment on the Tesla network as this only relates to the 120kW supercharger EVSEs which are 400V. To take advantage of these (if ever) you would need the 150kW DC 400V to 800V booster option.

Remember that the Taycan's standard AC charger is 11kW which will charge 50% faster than single phase 7.4kW when connected to say a 22kW AC EVSE.

Perhaps review the charging options in apps such as ZapMap to see the full extent of DC charging. ChargePlace Scotland dominate but many other options exist.

Always prioritise DC charging over AC for speed when on the road. AC is fine for overnight charging at home.

At the end of the day your choice but IMHO it would be the thing I'd be less likely to option on the car.

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
I'm in Scotland and didn't have the 22kW on my first Taycan but have it on the CT. It's expensive for what it is but I do find it very useful in some areas and when the 50s are busy. In St Andrew's recently the 50 cable wouldn't reach the DC port whichever way I was able to park. But I ended up using a nearby 22 and got a good charge. In East dumbartonshire they have lots of 22s and very few 50s.

The most annoying thing about chargeplace scotland is they put the chargers in the corner of carparks with spaces that are difficult to get close to the chargers so often you can't get close enough if a car is in the next space.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm in Scotland and didn't have the 22kW on my first Taycan but have it on the CT. It's expensive for what it is but I do find it very useful in some areas and when the 50s are busy. In St Andrew's recently the 50 cable wouldn't reach the DC port whichever way I was able to park. But I ended up using a nearby 22 and got a good charge. In East dumbartonshire they have lots of 22s and very few 50s.

The most annoying thing about chargeplace scotland is they put the chargers in the corner of carparks with spaces that are difficult to get close to the chargers so often you can't get close enough if a car is in the next space.
Yep, planning is an after thought in the race to make charging available.

I don't understand why there are so many 22kW (or less) EVSEs in St Andrews - The Old Course Hotel car park is littered with slow charging devices but go to Falkirk football stadium and the DC units outnumber the AC ones (p.s. I've not counted them!).

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
Golf takes 5 hours to play 18 holes. Football is over in 90 mins plus half time. I don't play golf or watch football but maybe someone has some smart analytics for choosing chargers. Or maybe not :)
Sponsored