22kw option for UK

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Note that you'll need to upgrade the standard EVSE you get with your Taycan to either the PMCC (if you want that) or another brand which can handle the full 19.6kW (22kW) available on 3 phase PLUS you will need to add the 22kW AC onboard charger option to your car(s).

If you stick with the PMC+ then you will get 11kW (requires 3 phase) with a PMCC or 9.6kW with a PMC+ which will be a wee bit better than the 7.4kW you would get on a single phase with either EVSE.

The one EVSE could serve one or more vehicles (different brands) OR you could add a secondary EVSE which (I think) will share the available 3 phase supply if both cars are charging at the same time (i.e. up to 11 kW per vehicle). I'm not an expert on electrics so please discuss with a qualified electrician to better understand the 'possible' rather than the 'maybe'.

In terms of supply cable needed (again seek expert guidance) you will likely need to upgrade to the 400V, 32A, 5 pin RED industrial connector as the standard one you get with the car is 230V, 32A, 5 pin - half the throughput, meaning that you would not get the full benefit of your 3 phase (assuming all of the above requirements are met).
Just when I think I've understood everything, you throw something else into the mix!!

I hadn't realised that as well as the 22kw AC onboard charger (£1,179), I would also need to buy the PMCC (a further £1,371) to achieve the headline speeds that Porsche quote??!!

However, what about if I do the following:

If I install an Andersen A2 22kw charger, then I could use this for my car when it is garaged (and for the cars of my wife/visitors, when needed).

This would then leave me with the standard PMCC+ to keep in the car for travelling, using a standard plug when visiting family (very slow charging!) and a 32A 5-pin connector for industrial chargers (for higher speed charging)

I will also have the onboard DC upgrade for superfast en-route chargers (which would normally have their own cables?)

Or do I ned something else as well?!
:)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just when I think I've understood everything, you throw something else into the mix!!

I hadn't realised that as well as the 22kw AC onboard charger (£1,179), I would also need to buy the PMCC (a further £1,371) to achieve the headline speeds that Porsche quote??!!

However, what about if I do the following:

If I install an Andersen A2 22kw charger, then I could use this for my car when it is garaged (and for the cars of my wife/visitors, when needed).

This would then leave me with the standard PMCC+ to keep in the car for travelling, using a standard plug when visiting family (very slow charging!) and a 32A 5-pin connector for industrial chargers (for higher speed charging)

I will also have the onboard DC upgrade for superfast en-route chargers (which would normally have their own cables?)

Or do I ned something else as well?!
:)
It's true that you need to be given the full picture - Porsche dealerships are unquestionably useless at this and the material available online is too generic.

Your plan makes sense - small point is that you get a PMC+ (not PMCC+) as standard.

Can be mobile too but the chances are you won't take it with you and if only going off grid. 3 pin charging is 0.1 miles of range per minute of charge so really a belt and braces solution unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

The 150 kW DC upgrade (DC voltage booster 400v to 800v) is worth having but not essential (low cost) but you may never end up needing / using it. Use cases would be accessing the Tesla Supercharger Network when made available to non Tesla owners (12th of Never so far) or legacy 400v chargers dotted around UK. If you travel to the Republic of Ireland then you will also get the advantage as they have been rolling out new 400V units of 150kW (or so).

For all other DC charging needs you have what you will need already built into the car - AC 11kW STD, 22kW (with upgrade), 50 kW DC 400v right up to 350kW (270kW useable) @ 800V.

All DC charging locations have tethered connections (cable permanently attached). Low powered AC chargers tend to be untethered so make sure you have optioned the Public Mode 3 charging cable to address this situation should you happen upon it.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's true that you need to be given the full picture - Porsche dealerships are unquestionably useless at this and the material available online is too generic.

Your plan makes sense - small point is that you get a PMC+ (not PMCC+) as standard.

Can be mobile too but the chances are you won't take it with you and if only going off grid. 3 pin charging is 0.1 miles of range per minute of charge so really a belt and braces solution unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

The 150 kW DC upgrade (DC voltage booster 400v to 800v) is worth having but not essential (low cost) but you may never end up needing / using it. Use cases would be accessing the Tesla Supercharger Network when made available to non Tesla owners (12th of Never so far) or legacy 400v chargers dotted around UK. If you travel to the Republic of Ireland then you will also get the advantage as they have been rolling out new 400V units of 150kW (or so).

For all other DC charging needs you have what you will need already built into the car - AC 11kW STD, 22kW (with upgrade), 50 kW DC 400v right up to 350kW (270kW useable) @ 800V.

All DC charging locations have tethered connections (cable permanently attached). Low powered AC chargers tend to be untethered so make sure you have optioned the Public Mode 3 charging cable to address this situation should you happen upon it.
W1NGE,
As always, many thanks for your useful and comprehensive response.

In defence of my dealer, I've not had too many detailed conversations with them about charging and functionality, but wanted to be knowledgeable before I started.

It sounds as thought my plans are ok, but I will need to spend a further £210 on a Public Mode 3 charging cable (which will presumably be able to handle the power of whatever charger I'm using at the time).
:like:

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

W1NGE,
As always, many thanks for your useful and comprehensive response.

In defence of my dealer, I've not had too many detailed conversations with them about charging and functionality, but wanted to be knowledgeable before I started.

It sounds as thought my plans are ok, but I will need to spend a further £210 on a Public Mode 3 charging cable (which will presumably be able to handle the power of whatever charger I'm using at the time).
:like:
W1NGE -- thanks much for your comments on the

150kw

W1NGE -- thanks for your comments on the 150 kW DC upgrade. I was almost talked out of it here in the US but the one reason, I am holding onto it is because of what Tesla might do. Of course this may never happen BUT Tesla did just start a pilot program in Norway to allow non Tesla cars to use their supercharging stations....so for $400 a decent "nice to have" to include in the spec. Thanks again for all your help.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
W1NGE -- thanks for your comments on the 150 kW DC upgrade. I was almost talked out of it here in the US but the one reason, I am holding onto it is because of what Tesla might do. Of course this may never happen BUT Tesla did just start a pilot program in Norway to allow non Tesla cars to use their supercharging stations....so for $400 a decent "nice to have" to include in the spec. Thanks again for all your help.
There was also recently a trial in Holland when non-Tesla drivers could use the Tesla Superchargers.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
If you're not planning on Solar in the near future then I would seriously consider the Easee over the Andersen especially as you are thinking about adding additional EVs.
Accepts both 1ph and 3ph and more importantly you can daisy chain multiple Easee Chargers that run on the same feed.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're not planning on Solar in the near future then I would seriously consider the Easee over the Andersen especially as you are thinking about adding additional EVs.
Accepts both 1ph and 3ph and more importantly you can daisy chain multiple Easee Chargers that run on the same feed.
I will take a look, thanks.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Wondered if anyone has had any further update on this from Porsche, particularly those impacted before we knew like @tigerbalm? Or anyone just taken delivery and been told that they need to limit charge rate somewhere other than the configurator small print ?. Mine is due at the end of the month so I’ll see if I get told anything proactive…

My subscription ID3 been charging at 5.4kW on my Andersen for 6 weeks now so happy its not going to flip revert to 7kW so all good at my end.

The ID3 has a “limit AC charge speed” option in the settings, probably more aimed at preserving home 13A sockets but be interesting if it appears in any of the Taycan updates…

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
100 percent skip. My dad has been a Tesla owner since 2013. Never in my life or his have we encountered a need to use an AC source with more than 50A. I think you are well advised to tick the 400A DC onboard charger box and skip the 22kw option.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Our planning application has now been submitted to include solar panels and battery storage - I need to rethink everything!

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Screenshot from configurator today....Does this mean the 22kw charger issue is sorted on new cars so you can charge 'safely' at home on a single phase charger at home without dialling the power down??

Porsche Taycan 22kw option for UK Screenshot_20220508-192411_Samsung Internet

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Still looks broken to me.
£1,179.00 is the same price as before.

7kw is fast enough for any home charger. Destination chargers faster than 11k are rarer than electric 911s

You only need a 22kw charge speed if you leave for work 4 hours after you get home.

Spend the money on a glass roof, or ACC, or special paint or……..
anything useful!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Screenshot from configurator today....Does this mean the 22kw charger issue is sorted on new cars so you can charge 'safely' at home on a single phase charger at home without dialling the power down??

Screenshot_20220508-192411_Samsung Internet.jpg
Isn’t 7.2 kW the maximum for single fase charging anyway? 22 / 3 = 7.33 kW.

In Belgium 1 fase 32A = 7,4 kW
3 fase 16A = 11 kW, 3 fase 32A = 22 kW.

Wasn’t the original warning advising even lower watts on one fase?

And I don’t know if single fase chargers with more than 7,4 kw exist. But I am not an electrician. Would be nice to know when traveling and using public chargers.

Btw what happens with the standard on board charger on a single fase 7,4 kW. Will it charge 3,6 or 7,4? 11/3 = 3,6?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Isn’t 7.2 kW the maximum for single fase charging anyway? 22 / 3 = 7.33 kW.

In Belgium 1 fase 32A = 7,2 kW
3 fase 16A = 11 kW, 3 fase 32A = 22 kW.

Wasn’t the original warning advising even lower watts on one fase?

And I don’t know if single fase chargers with more than 7,3 kw exist. But I am not an electrician. Would be nice to know when traveling and using public chargers.

Btw what happens with the standard on board charger on a single fase 7,3 kW. Will it charge 3,6 or 7,3? 11/3 = 3,6?
Single.phase - 7.4kW
Sponsored