4S ordering questions

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Hello, I have placed an order for a 4s but have some possible amendments that maybe you can help with please. I need to get to the dealer to try these out but maybe you can help in the meantime.

Seats - I have the car ordered with standard 8 way seats but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 14 way. What are your thoughts on these please? Are they bigger than the standard and encroach on rear room space?

Electric sound - it has come up before but is this a gimmick that you tire of and never use after the first month of ownership.

Sports chrono - i prefer the clean look of the dash without the clock but from what I have read here most people go for this option.

lane change assist - what are your thoughts on this? We had it on the test drive car and i found it was good. I have to say, the rear visibility on the car is pretty poor so maybe this would help. The car we tried also had darkened rear windows which didn't help with the visibility on a very wet and miserable day.

Wheels - call me odd but the only wheels I like out of the whole range are the standard 19". I don't like the 20" cross spokes since most of the holes are filled and they look odd from certain angles. And I don't like the other 20" ones with the back plate. All the others are too big. Am I mad to go with the standard 19" wheels?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My input:

1. 14-way Seats: These are excellent, and definitely a noticeable but small improvement over the standard.
  2. Electric Sound: I love it, frankly, and I would miss it if I didn't have it.
  3. Sports Chrono: I would love to have the car without it. But it comes with a number of important features here in the US, so it is by extension a requirement here.
  4. LCA: I do not use it. I find the car quite easy to drive without it.

Good luck!

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
Hello. This is all very subjective, but my views:

I’ve got the 14 way seats on my 4S. Very comfortable, but I’d prefer the greater side and thigh support of the 18 ways. Sorry, that probably doesn’t help! I’ve never tied the 8 ways.

I do have electric sound and personally find it gimmicky - I tried it for a couple of hours on my first drive and have not bothered since - I prefer the quieter drive.

Sport chrono - wish I had this. I had it on my 911 that I traded in for then4S and whilst you can change settings on the screen, the dial on the steering wheel is so much easier. Plus, I think it offers a lot more that that.

Lane change assist. I have this and I suppose it’s helpful, and a good safety feature. I have privacy glass and it doesn’t cause me any issues with visibility.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
One person's assessment:
  1. 14-Way Seats: I am very happy with those and find it worth the upgrade
  2. Electric Sound: very personal preference thing, but I myself find it an initially pleasant gimmick which gets old quickly
  3. Sports Chrono: the mode management dial on the steering wheel certainly looks more user-friendly than having to change modes via the display, but the clock on the dashboard looked so anachronistic that I could not bring myself to order it
  4. Lane Change Assist: certainly a useful feature but not essential

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
My 2 pence:

electric sport sound - I wasn’t going to. Thought it would be a gimmick and sound pathetic. Dealer talked me into it and it’s a fairly cheap option.

Now I’m glad I did choose it, I haven’t tired of it yet and had the car since Aug. Personal opinion I guess, maybe see if you can try one with it so you can hear for yourself.

Sport chrono. Another one I wasn’t going to get. But I’m glad I did. Prefer the smoother dash but it is a good way to check the time. The dial is the best part of it.

Lane change assist. I didn’t really go for any of this stuff, I prefer to rely on myself to drive the car, especially a car like this. That’s just me and I can see why others would want it.

jonze

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Uber
Country flag
The 19’s would look better with a lower profile tire. I wonder why they ship it with a such a mini van looking tire.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Lane change assist. I didn’t really go for any of this stuff, I prefer to rely on myself to drive the car, especially a car like this. That’s just me and I can see why others would want it.
Lane Change Assist (LCA) is just the warning system for other vehicles approaching you quickly, no self-driving.
Maybe you're thinking of Lane Keep Assist (LKA) which is where the car makes steering corrections to keep you in lane?
Too many similar "-assist" systems on the Taycan!

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lane Change Assist (LCA) is just the warning system for other vehicles approaching you quickly, no self-driving.
Maybe you're thinking of Lane Keep Assist (LKA) which is where the car makes steering corrections to keep you in lane?
Too many similar "-assist" systems on the Taycan!
I think that was my loose language actually, I do know what LCA is but in my head it's in the same box as the innodrive functions. Every day driving things that I feel should be down to my judgment, but I appreciate these systems can be very helpful and I'm probably a stick in the mud when it comes to this type of technology.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
The 19’s would look better with a lower profile tire. I wonder why they ship it with a such a mini van looking tire.
Well they have to, in order for the wheel/tyre combination have a similar rolling radius to the other sizes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Thank you all for your replies. I have added all these options.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Essentially the 21" wheel is the 19" wheel with a lower profile. A 19" wheel with a smaller sidewall would also have a smaller diameter in total. In addition to making measurements of speed wrong, it would look funny as well, and for all I know cause other problems as well.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I think that was my loose language actually, I do know what LCA is but in my head it's in the same box as the innodrive functions. Every day driving things that I feel should be down to my judgment, but I appreciate these systems can be very helpful and I'm probably a stick in the mud when it comes to this type of technology.
Grouping LCA into that bucket is like saying you don't need side view mirrors. It gives you more information, everything is still down to your judgment.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Grouping LCA into that bucket is like saying you don't need side view mirrors. It gives you more information, everything is still down to your judgment.
On a car in this price range, LCA should really be standard but I guess that is the Porsche way.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I disagree. Wing mirrors without any additional warning have always been sufficient for me. I can see for myself if anything is approaching me quickly and that is my own judgment. The car can decide what is approaching quickly but I don’t want it to do that for me

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I disagree. Wing mirrors without any additional warning have always been sufficient for me. I can see for myself if anything is approaching me quickly and that is my own judgment. The car can decide what is approaching quickly but I don’t want it to do that for me
You're not "seeing for yourself" what is approaching if you use side mirrors -- you're using a tool that helps you, just like warning lights help you. So my point is how can you be against warning lights but not mirrors? Both are just visual indicators.
One is analog and the other is digital, but do you have any idea how much electronics is "doing for you" under the scenes in a dual-motor electric car? I'm surprised you even want a motor then. Wait, I think I found the perfect car for you....
Porsche Taycan 4S ordering questions 1608116103024
Sponsored