4s Performance Battery Plus - How do we know it's actually there?

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
SO a general question here for the tech people here.

If someone has spec'd a car with the Performance Battery Plus option on a 4S - how does one know that their car actually has this option included/fitted from factory?

Yes, the spec sheet says the car has it, the car V5 doc (registration doc) in the UK says the car is a Taycan 4S 93KWH but how does one know that the car actually does have this fitted - anyway to know?

Guess it's the same with Power Steering Plus too - how does one know if it's actually there if they have not driven a car without it to notice the difference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Good question.
Obviously we wouldn't get the range we're getting without it but yes I would also love to know if there's a way of identifying it visually.
Anybody???????????

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
It's strange as no where on the Connect App, in the car or even on the V5 app or HPI check does it say Performance Battery where as the insurance companies list it as a separate model. Confused.

SAM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS, 435D Gran Coupe
Country flag
It's strange as no where on the Connect App, in the car or even on the V5 app or HPI check does it say Performance Battery where as the insurance companies list it as a separate model. Confused.
The only way I could think of other than the obvious range difference you would expect is perhaps in the floor height of the boot/trunk. My understanding is that the boot is larger in vehicles with the smaller battery so if you have the plus battery it should be the smaller boot that you have with the slightly raised floor. Not sure how you would verify that without putting yours next to a vehicle with the smaller battery to compare it or else by knowing the boot depth measurements you should get.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Boot height/size is the same on all Taycan models. The only variation is if you have the Bose sound system as this uses a bit of boot space.

SAM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS, 435D Gran Coupe
Country flag
Boot height/size is the same on all Taycan models. The only variation is if you have the Bose sound system as this uses a bit of boot space.
I just remember reading about it in an article some time ago that the boot in the 4S base model was bigger and assumed it would therefore be true but the motoring press frequently say things that are incorrect so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
SO a general question here for the tech people here.

If someone has spec'd a car with the Performance Battery Plus option on a 4S - how does one know that their car actually has this option included/fitted from factory?

Yes, the spec sheet says the car has it, the car V5 doc (registration doc) in the UK says the car is a Taycan 4S 93KWH but how does one know that the car actually does have this fitted - anyway to know?

Guess it's the same with Power Steering Plus too - how does one know if it's actually there if they have not driven a car without it to notice the difference.
Would it be shown on your purchase agreement as Power steering plus as an additional item together with additional cost .

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Would it be shown on your purchase agreement as Power steering plus as an additional item together with additional cost .
It says it, it says both - how do we know if the car actually has the items on it is my question :)

Cynical I know but just wondered!

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Just let the battery charge level drop to 5-10% and charge the car fully and see how many KW it uses, i know 10-12% is held back but it will give you a good guide

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Just let the battery charge level drop to 5-10% and charge the car fully and see how many KW it uses, i know 10-12% is held back but it will give you a good guide
Can the app tell us that? I have a fixed 7kw Chargemaster and that does not tell me how many KW I have used to fill up the battery.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There's not a clear and easy way to visually identify the difference that I know of.

The easiest way to tell is to start a new trip in the computer, note your state of charge % and compare the kWh used vs the SOC % lost. This should quickly give you the actual kWh capacity of your battery, which should be around 83 kWh with the P+ battery and below 76 kWh with the normal battery.

State of charge % and kWh used are the two most valuable numbers the car displays and (should be) direct from the battery. Most of the other numbers, the range meter for example, are run through calculations before being displayed and not as reliable.

SAM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS, 435D Gran Coupe
Country flag
Just checked the technical spec on the configurator for a Taycan 4S and the luggage capacity is 407 litres. This compares to 366 litres for the Turbo and Turbo S. So it would appear that the luggage capacity does vary but it might be more to do with the inverter size in the rear being larger on the Turbo & Turbo S compared to the 4S rather than the different battery sizes because when I switched the 4S to the + battery the technical info still showed the luggage capacity as 407 litres.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
The trunk size discussion has been rehashed many times already. There is NO difference in the trunk per car model, for any other reason than the sound system!

The 4S models have by default a sound system without a subwoofer which means the trunk has more space. If you equip it with the Bose or Burmester sound systems, it will have equal trunk space to the Turbo / Turbo S models. This is the reason for the differences in the spec, nothing else.

SAM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS, 435D Gran Coupe
Country flag
The trunk size discussion has been rehashed many times already. There is NO difference in the trunk per car model, for any other reason than the sound system!

The 4S models have by default a sound system without a subwoofer which means the trunk has more space. If you equip it with the Bose or Burmester sound systems, it will have equal trunk space to the Turbo / Turbo S models. This is the reason for the differences in the spec, nothing else.
I previously checked if the luggage space changed in the technical spec on the configurator when I added the Bose or Burmester to the 4S and it stayed at 407 litres hence why I came to the conclusion it wasn't the reason for the difference to the Turbo/Turbo S. But it's entirely possible that the technical spec isn't getting updated correctly when you select either of those sound system options.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I previously checked if the luggage space changed in the technical spec on the configurator when I added the Bose or Burmester to the 4S and it stayed at 407 litres hence why I came to the conclusion it wasn't the reason for the difference to the Turbo/Turbo S. But it's entirely possible that the technical spec isn't getting updated correctly when you select either of those sound system options.
It is correct that technical spec in regard to luggage space does not update correctly when you add Bose.
Sponsored