Is my battery performance battery plus or not?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
After having the correct temperature the next most important factor is speed. Today I covered 137 miles on just under 50% of charge (4s pb+). I literally followed every speed limit to the letter, about 70% motorway 30% A roads. So that’s 270 miles on a full tank, in the UK, in summer, sensible driving……… on 21 inch wheels. If you want range lift your right foot😉
The most reliable measure is the miles/kWh consumption reading from Trip meter.at the end of each journey. Don't reset Total Trip as you'll then get an overall average for all journeys. 3.3 miles/kWh equates to around 259 actual miles. This was my average across 2.5 years of a 4S. My GTS has some way to go to match that.

OP
OP

glon

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I've had 3 different taycans in the last 4 weeks, each one with the larger battery and all say about 235 to 245 miles max range, (the extra 10miles in range mode). That is in Scotland but didn't change from 17 to 26 degrees. Like you I expected more as the website claims more than 300 miles, but this is not a real world value, just the one they use to sell cars.
It’s crazy that they’re allowed to do this. It makes no sense. If a food manufacturer claimed on the packet that there was more in there than there really was they’d be prosecuted by trading standards, so how are car companies allowed to get away with it?

Ztarman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
You are absolutely right!!! When I raised this earlier on the forum I got a lot of flack for being so stupid as to look at the marketing blurb and I should do my own research as all electric cars have the same misinformation. Clearly this is mis-selling and you should not need to do that.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It’s crazy that they’re allowed to do this. It makes no sense. If a food manufacturer claimed on the packet that there was more in there than there really was they’d be prosecuted by trading standards, so how are car companies allowed to get away with it?
There is not more or less range. It’s a different way of measuring. A kilo is a kilo. Driving one mile with an EV at 90 mph at 5 degrees outside temperature is completely different compared to 50 mph at 22 degrees outside. Even temperature settings and wheels make a difference.

A good way to report long distance driving is the 1000 Km test. The Taycan does quite well because it charges so fast.

After reading a lot I think that range and charging speed are of equal importance. Provided good availability if chargers of course.

You need to know your range but when doing highways around 250 km driving is safe (driving between 85 and 15 % SoC). But you also need to know where the best fast chargers are along your trip (ABRP, Pump, Charger finder, etc).

Because usually only 70 % of the battery is used when traveling the total range is of less importance.

I rather have a fast charging car than a bit more range. In general we can charge in 20 minutes. A Ipace / XC40 will take double. EQE eqs 30 minutes. Twenty minutes are ok for drinking a coffee, have a sandwich and visit the bathroom. Any longer is for lunch.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I recently did 2 trips of 1000 and 1300 km in one day. By the time, you grab a sandwich (and eat it), go to the 🚻, battery has enough until next stop.
I'll save perhaps one stop with a higher range, but 20mn on a 1300km trip is insignificant

I was a bit anxious getting the car to Greece, where I currently am, but that's not a problem there either. you just need to have the adequate apps (InCharge, Elpe Future, Dei Blue) and it always worked very well.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
300 miles is WLTP - laboratory testing and is only that - real world, by region you'll glean from this forum. The online range calculator tailored to your car and general spec is quite accurate in my experience.

I doubt anyone buys a Porsche (any) for efficiency at the end of the day. Best to ignore what the range quoted at the end of a charging session and as I mentioned above, rely more on the consumption data which will then help you figure the underlying realistic range all other things being equal.

Folk in humid / warmer climbs (Florida for example) will easily get close to 300 miles reported range (one forum member has exceed this) but few have quote their consumption which is the real leveller.

Folk in UK - summer - 260 ish, winter - 235 ish

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Porsche are good guys compared to some others on claimed range.

Porsche Taycan Is my battery performance battery plus or not? 3C7D9226-67FB-42B5-9C08-2AEFB68B89B5

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Is my battery performance battery plus or not? PXL_20230811_155615869~2

I wasn't trying to break any record: 16 kWh/100 km in summer (30°C outside, 21° AC inside), 3 adults, 5 luggages (frunk and trunk full), driving at 50/60 mph on a curvy mountain road (including traffic lights).

That's about real 320 miles range.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Range strongly depends on the kind of roads you drive.

In Belgium, where I live, you have an extreme amount of traffic lights, speed bumps and speed radars. So you are starting and stopping a lot. Average speed, including stopping, on non-high way roads is barely 30 km/h.
Next to that you have the highways at 120-140 km/h real speed.
Both are totally not efficient.

This summer I was on holiday in France and Germany. When I was there, I did a lot of countryside roads at 70 to 100 km/h max speed. No traffic lights, no speed bumps, no traffic jams, almost no speed radars. Seldom faster than 100km/h, seldom slower than 60km/h.
That's the sweet spot.
It was easy to get 170 wh/km, which gives an extrapolated range of 400km with the small battery. (480km/300miles with the big battery).
With some extra effort I would have been able to get to 430km, which is the WLTP value.

I am sure you can achieve the WLTP range values. You can just not reach them everywhere.
Sponsored

Reactions: Gru