4S to Turbo

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
It probably would and should...
Tayan ownership is not hugely based on 'common sense' - more a case if "raw emotion"!
(certainly Taycan owners pondering over this kind of upgrade)

I'm speaking from experience and succumbing to this very temptation. I've loved my 4S but I hadn't owned it for more that 6 weeks before I was eagerly awaiting the release of 2021 spec (new colours etc) to allow me to place an order for my replacement Taycan and upgrade to Turbo! (The fact that I was 61 also meant I wanted to get on with enjoying another wonderful Taycan too!)

I am sure I'm not alone with that mode of thought!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Tayan ownership is not hugely based on 'common sense' - more a case if "raw emotion"!

I'm speaking from recent experience and succumbing to this very temptation. I've loved my 4S but I hadn't owned it for more that 6 weeks before I eagerly awaiting the release of 2021 spec new colours etc to allow me to order my replacement Turbo! (The fact that I was 61 also meant I wanted to get on with enjoying it too!)

Heart and mind are not the same…

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

I'm speaking from recent experience and succumbing to this very temptation. I've loved my 4S but I hadn't owned it for more that 6 weeks before I eagerly awaiting the release of 2021 spec new colours etc to allow me to order my replacement Turbo! (The fact that I was 61 also meant I wanted to get on with enjoying it too!)

and....? Back to my original question, have you noticed in normal driving conditions a substantial/significant/any real noticeable difference from the 4S? Thats really the crux for me...

I agree on the common sense though - you are right. I have an amazing car already so what is going on ;-)

MarkG_M5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5 Comp, Taycan ordered
Country flag
I've ordered Turbo S more for the spec than performance. Because I'm ordering through a company scheme with a lease, the residual is much better for included extras rather than added extras (which tend to just be divided over the term rather than given a residual value).

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Resale is another factor if that is important to you. Highly optioned cars don't always do as well as cars which have the additional kit as standard so consider this into the mix.

My view is that you don't need more power (power that you're unlikely to stroke) but enhanced handling as @f1eng has highlighted.

GTS is now the new sweet spot (potentially) - same hardware (motors) as the Turbo but software detuned to give slightly less and slightly more than the 4S plus PTV+, Sports Chrono, Matrix lights and larger brakes as standard.
100%, or if buying via PCP/Lease. Certainly I had enough options on the 4S then when I looked at the cost of the Turbo with same options it wasn't a million miles off and got the coated brakes as a bonus. Purely as the dealer finance is only based on the list price, no matter the options you add it doesn't affect the calculation at all (though you can watch them visibly wince if you suggest an unpopular paint/interior combo so its worth doing that just for a laugh).

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I went for the Turbo, as it's not only raw performance, but also better brakes, porsche torque vectoring and a few more things.

I had a similar specced Turbo and 4S and the price difference was just 15000 USD, so I went for the Turbo.
Same for me. Turbo was $15k-20k more. My previous Porsche was a Panamera 4S where I really regreated not having a little bit more HP, so it was a no-brainier for me.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same for me. Turbo was $15k-20k more. My previous Porsche was a Panamera 4S where I really regreated not having a little bit more HP, so it was a no-brainier for me.
Appreciate this and all the comments but what I am really looking for are if people have done this and seen a noticeable difference in the overall car. For me it is really about what more do you get and is it noticeable different either to drive, or the other things (not many by the looks of things) that you get as standard on a Turbo vs 4S.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
For me it is really about what more do you get and is it noticeable different either to drive, or the other things (not many by the looks of things) that you get as standard on a Turbo vs 4S.
I think I've posted this previously in another thread:

In addition to the extra power output, here’s what comes as standard on a UK Turbo CT but not on a 4S (items in italics are the 4S version):

Metallic Paint
Exterior mirror lower trims painted in exterior colour including mirror base in black (Exterior mirror lower trims including mirror base in black)
Brake calipers in black (Brake calipers painted in red)
Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB). Internally vented brake discs with 410 mm at front and 365 mm at rear (Internally vented brake cast iron discs with 360 mm at front and 358 mm at rear)
20-inch Taycan Turbo Design wheels (19-inch Taycan S Aero wheels)
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
Matrix LED headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus) (LED headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus))
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Roof lining in Race-Tex (Fabric roof lining)
Comfort front seats (14-way electric) with memory package including steering wheel height and fore/aft adjustment (Comfort front seats (8-way electric))
Seat heating (front and rear) (Heated front seats)
Leather interior, smooth-finish leather (Partial leather interior)
'turbo' logo on the front and rear headrests
Pedal pad edges in stainless steel
BOSE® Surround Sound System with 14 speakers including subwoofer and a total output of 710 Watts (Sound Package Plus with 10 Speakers and a total output of 150 watts)

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I've posted this previously in another thread:

In addition to the extra power output, here’s what comes as standard on a UK Turbo CT but not on a 4S (items in italics are the 4S version):

Metallic Paint
Exterior mirror lower trims painted in exterior colour including mirror base in black (Exterior mirror lower trims including mirror base in black)
Brake calipers in black (Brake calipers painted in red)
Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB). Internally vented brake discs with 410 mm at front and 365 mm at rear (Internally vented brake cast iron discs with 360 mm at front and 358 mm at rear)
20-inch Taycan Turbo Design wheels (19-inch Taycan S Aero wheels)
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
Matrix LED headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus) (LED headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus))
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Roof lining in Race-Tex (Fabric roof lining)
Comfort front seats (14-way electric) with memory package including steering wheel height and fore/aft adjustment (Comfort front seats (8-way electric))
Seat heating (front and rear) (Heated front seats)
Leather interior, smooth-finish leather (Partial leather interior)
'turbo' logo on the front and rear headrests
Pedal pad edges in stainless steel
BOSE® Surround Sound System with 14 speakers including subwoofer and a total output of 710 Watts (Sound Package Plus with 10 Speakers and a total output of 150 watts)
Yes it all sounds good and perhaps my original question was ill framed. I have configured exactly the same car as my 4S - every option identical to get a like for like spec. On face value I am paying, £20,000 more (approx) for the Turbo and other than the larger motor and PTV+ I am not sure what else that £20,000 is giving. Hence my question. Don't get me wrong I am tempted and all the things on the emotion vs logic ring true but, it would be nice to know I am not just throwing £20,000 for a bigger motor and PTV+ - Is there anything else?

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

I ordered the 4S in the week it was announced and got it in February 2020. It was and is a great car - when it is not waiting for spare parts, such as now, it has been sitting in the dealer's lot since 28th of October due to a defect heat pump, which seems to be unobtainable. Very obnoxious.

In any case, after driving the 4S a lot, I am still loving it, but would like to have more accelleration (plus RAS, but that is speccable on the 4S, ofc). Top end speed is good anyway at 260km/h. So I did think about the Turbo and was looking around to swap the 4S against it. Then, the GTS came along, showing the 850 Nm = accelleration capability that I wished for. So I bought that right on November 17th with a build slot in February.

My slightly biased assumption is that you should be looking at the GTS at least.

Cheers,
Henrik

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Yes it all sounds good and perhaps my original question was ill framed. I have configured exactly the same car as my 4S - every option identical to get a like for like spec. On face value I am paying, £20,000 more (approx) for the Turbo and other than the larger motor and PTV+ I am not sure what else that £20,000 is giving. Hence my question. Don't get me wrong I am tempted and all the things on the emotion vs logic ring true but, it would be nice to know I am not just throwing £20,000 for a bigger motor and PTV+ - Is there anything else?
Yes- the additional overall cost of the Turbo could be a lot less than £20k- in my case, taking account of residual values after 3 years, for my chosen spec of around £15k options on a 4S, I've calculated that a Turbo that includes all of those options would cost me less £5k more. On that basis, I've ordered one without having driven a Turbo, but once I'm offered a build slot for a 4S I'm unlikely to be prepared to wait much longer to get a Turbo instead. In the unlikely event that they are both available in the same quarter, I'd definitely go for the Turbo.

The residuals favour the Turbo option for 2 reasons (this is just my understanding, so please don't take my word for it):
1. The Turbo is rarer so has a higher % residual value than a 4S (ignoring cost options)
2. Cost options typically have minimal residual value.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello there,

I ordered the 4S in the week it was announced and got it in February 2020. It was and is a great car - when it is not waiting for spare parts, such as now, it has been sitting in the dealer's lot since 28th of October due to a defect heat pump, which seems to be unobtainable. Very obnoxious.

In any case, after driving the 4S a lot, I am still loving it, but would like to have more accelleration (plus RAS, but that is speccable on the 4S, ofc). Top end speed is good anyway at 260km/h. So I did think about the Turbo and was looking around to swap the 4S against it. Then, the GTS came along, showing the 850 Nm = accelleration capability that I wished for. So I bought that right on November 17th with a build slot in February.

My slightly biased assumption is that you should be looking at the GTS at least.

Cheers,
Henrik
thanks. Slightly off topic but how did you know you had a defective heat pump - anything to do with range loss or something else?

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No heating in the car I would imagine.
Probably. I realised what an "ass" of a question that was, but also secretly hoping it was not that binary...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes- the additional overall cost of the Turbo could be a lot less than £20k- in my case, taking account of residual values after 3 years, for my chosen spec of around £15k options on a 4S, I've calculated that a Turbo that includes all of those options would cost me less £5k more. On that basis, I've ordered one without having driven a Turbo, but once I'm offered a build slot for a 4S I'm unlikely to be prepared to wait much longer to get a Turbo instead. In the unlikely event that they are both available in the same quarter, I'd definitely go for the Turbo.

The residuals favour the Turbo option for 2 reasons (this is just my understanding, so please don't take my word for it):
1. The Turbo is rarer so has a higher % residual value than a 4S (ignoring cost options)
2. Cost options typically have minimal residual value.
Not sure that's the case - there is an interesting depreciation video on YouTube specifically looking at Taycan depreciation (worth a look) - - extrapolations based on other Porsche models due to the lack of broader Taycan dataset.

Truth is 2nd hand cars are inflated today due to supply and demand (some Forum members have reported being offered more than they paid for their vehicles from websites such as WeBuyAnyCar (UK)). For now, I think depreciation is not top of the priority list.

Also insuring a Turbo vs 4S could be a problem for some potential buyers (my guess).

So rarity on a vehicle that is still in production doesn't necessarily equate to higher residuals.

Specific cost options (typically performance options, leather and colour) will have a residual value. Choosing the perceived 'wrong' colour for the UK market (e.g. Frozen Berry, Frozen Blue (apologies to those who have, no offence intended)) will have a detrimental effect. Adding gadgets will likely not attract much return -e.g automated parking.

As a rule of thumb you don't want to spend a disproportionate amount on extras compared to the base price of the car as this is typically where residuals are based (all to the dealer's benefit of course).

These are funny times for sure and residuals are hard to call at this time and probably for the next 6 - 12 months. Once the supply issues are resolved then my old general metric of £10K depreciation per annum on any Porsche is generally close to the mark to avoid any surprise.
Sponsored