Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
Not exactly Taycan related, but maybe of interest.

I went to PEC Atlanta today, partially for my birthday (38 tomorrow) and partially to test drive cars since they’re MIA at the dealership.

Plans:
I had a 9am session in a 718 Cayman S and a 2pm session in a 911 Carrera S. I intentionally spaced them out because I was worried about back-to-back being too much, and I think that was the right choice. We also had lunch plans in the 356 restaurant.

I was originally just going to make a short trip by myself, but somehow it ended turning into a family trip with the wife and kid.

Overview:
It was a really great experience. Everybody was super nice and really helpful. Especially my instructor, who was the same for both sessions. Driving was super fun. And the different modules create really interesting experiences.

I’m not a track driver so this was the first time I did anything like this. My biggest take away is that I’m a terrible driver. ? Which basically just confirmed what my wife already knew. ?‍♂

Really, I have a new respect for anyone who tracks their car. It’s not nearly as easy as it looks.?‍♂

Here are the things I was bad at:
  1. Handling circuit
  2. Kick plate
  3. Low-friction circle
  4. Low-friction handling circuit
  5. High-speed dynamics
Here are things I was okay at:
  1. Parking between the lines at the end ?
FWIW, I also didn’t trip on any stairs.

Driving:
-Handling circuit-
I don’t feel like I ever got the feel for this. As we went along, I think the only thing I got better at was understanding how bad I was. I have a new unconditional respect for people who track their cars. I didn’t crash or anything like that. I just didn’t feel like I was getting the turns correctly. Maybe next time. I could feel a few times when I did it right, or at least more right because the next turn would be easier. Just don’t ask me to do it on command.

-High-speed dynamics-
This had two parts. Launch control/braking and slalom.

Launch control/braking I could do. Mash the gas in a straight line? Got it. Press the brakes? Got it.

Slalom was hit and miss. If I could hit a rhythm, I was fine. But that was a big if. At least I didn’t hit any cones. ?

-Kick plate-
I thought I’d do better at this. I live in St. Louis and deal with snow/ice every year. But the kick plate is mean…

I did better in a more relaxed driving position. If I stayed around 20 or 21 mph, it wasn’t too bad. And I managed to keep control at 27mph once ?; but in general, I spun out more often than not.

-Low-Friction handling circuit-
I felt like I did much better here than the regular handling course. We just kind of slid through all of the corners. But I have plenty of room for improvement. Could have been smoother.

-Low-Friction Circle-
This one was noticeably easier in the 911 vs the 718. I felt like I was guessing with the 718 while I could feel what the 911 wanted. Getting the 911 to break loose was just much easier. I was even able to drift some semi-circles (but that’s all the further I could hold it).

-Off-road course-
They don’t let the 911 on the off-road course. I asked. ?‍♂?

-Parking between the lines at the end-
Nailed it. ??

Other:
We had lunch in the restaurant, which was good. It was fun to watch other people do the course while we ate (the kick plate claimed many cars…). They also have proper coffee so I got two double espressos.

We went through the museum and talked to one of the people working there for a long time about Porsches. Especially my dilemma about what car to get.

My instructor let me take a look at and start up a Boxster Spyder, which is also on my short list.

He also took me to see more cars and colors. I got to see Python Green and Lava Orange on cars in person, which I hadn’t been able to do before (both colors I’m interested in).

Final thoughts:
I highly recommend it! Especially if you haven’t driven in that type of environment before. The instructors make it easy and do a great job coaching you through everything. Even if you’re terrible like me.

I’m sure I’ll be back and I’m considering delivery there, if I can figure out the PPF.

Me, wife, and perpetually angry 7-yo.
290F13CE-6B10-425A-8AAB-12D691992447.jpeg

Just me.
BA20BCDD-057F-4C61-9E75-FEDC7D72131C.jpeg
Very interesting, informative - and amusing! Thanks. Interesting how you found the 718 and 911 different.
The PEC here in Japan is slated to open in October, but the dealer (4S CT scheduled for delivery by end September) has me slated for some sort PEC intro session on a Taycan in a few weeks. BTW, while this one is free, the regular driving sessions are not cheap... What sort of prices do they charge in the US/ EU?
Now, I am simply hoping they don't laugh too much when I get on the track.. Or kick plate. Or any of it. Maybe I too can nail the parking and Launch Control.

jhawks9028

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
Not exactly Taycan related, but maybe of interest.

I went to PEC Atlanta today, partially for my birthday (38 tomorrow) and partially to test drive cars since they’re MIA at the dealership.

Plans:
I had a 9am session in a 718 Cayman S and a 2pm session in a 911 Carrera S. I intentionally spaced them out because I was worried about back-to-back being too much, and I think that was the right choice. We also had lunch plans in the 356 restaurant.

I was originally just going to make a short trip by myself, but somehow it ended turning into a family trip with the wife and kid.

Overview:
It was a really great experience. Everybody was super nice and really helpful. Especially my instructor, who was the same for both sessions. Driving was super fun. And the different modules create really interesting experiences.

I’m not a track driver so this was the first time I did anything like this. My biggest take away is that I’m a terrible driver. ? Which basically just confirmed what my wife already knew. ?‍♂

Really, I have a new respect for anyone who tracks their car. It’s not nearly as easy as it looks.?‍♂

Here are the things I was bad at:
  1. Handling circuit
  2. Kick plate
  3. Low-friction circle
  4. Low-friction handling circuit
  5. High-speed dynamics
Here are things I was okay at:
  1. Parking between the lines at the end ?
FWIW, I also didn’t trip on any stairs.

Driving:
-Handling circuit-
I don’t feel like I ever got the feel for this. As we went along, I think the only thing I got better at was understanding how bad I was. I have a new unconditional respect for people who track their cars. I didn’t crash or anything like that. I just didn’t feel like I was getting the turns correctly. Maybe next time. I could feel a few times when I did it right, or at least more right because the next turn would be easier. Just don’t ask me to do it on command.

-High-speed dynamics-
This had two parts. Launch control/braking and slalom.

Launch control/braking I could do. Mash the gas in a straight line? Got it. Press the brakes? Got it.

Slalom was hit and miss. If I could hit a rhythm, I was fine. But that was a big if. At least I didn’t hit any cones. ?

-Kick plate-
I thought I’d do better at this. I live in St. Louis and deal with snow/ice every year. But the kick plate is mean…

I did better in a more relaxed driving position. If I stayed around 20 or 21 mph, it wasn’t too bad. And I managed to keep control at 27mph once ?; but in general, I spun out more often than not.

-Low-Friction handling circuit-
I felt like I did much better here than the regular handling course. We just kind of slid through all of the corners. But I have plenty of room for improvement. Could have been smoother.

-Low-Friction Circle-
This one was noticeably easier in the 911 vs the 718. I felt like I was guessing with the 718 while I could feel what the 911 wanted. Getting the 911 to break loose was just much easier. I was even able to drift some semi-circles (but that’s all the further I could hold it).

-Off-road course-
They don’t let the 911 on the off-road course. I asked. ?‍♂?

-Parking between the lines at the end-
Nailed it. ??

Other:
We had lunch in the restaurant, which was good. It was fun to watch other people do the course while we ate (the kick plate claimed many cars…). They also have proper coffee so I got two double espressos.

We went through the museum and talked to one of the people working there for a long time about Porsches. Especially my dilemma about what car to get.

My instructor let me take a look at and start up a Boxster Spyder, which is also on my short list.

He also took me to see more cars and colors. I got to see Python Green and Lava Orange on cars in person, which I hadn’t been able to do before (both colors I’m interested in).

Final thoughts:
I highly recommend it! Especially if you haven’t driven in that type of environment before. The instructors make it easy and do a great job coaching you through everything. Even if you’re terrible like me.

I’m sure I’ll be back and I’m considering delivery there, if I can figure out the PPF.

Me, wife, and perpetually angry 7-yo.
290F13CE-6B10-425A-8AAB-12D691992447.jpeg

Just me.
BA20BCDD-057F-4C61-9E75-FEDC7D72131C.jpeg
Awesome! We had so much fun and now, with a new Taycan RWD on the way, we want to go back and drive our own car. Anyone who's ordering a new Porsche can take delivery in Atlanta and do this, too!

Porsche Taycan 8 Hours at PEC Atlanta Experience - A Review 7626

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Very nice write up.

Did you get the additional insurance on the driving experience?

It seems the difference in getting the PEC delivery option gives you a $50 discount and lunch at the restaurant 356 (Atlanta), 917 (LA)

I agree it would be better to get the car PPFed before delivery at the PEC

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Interesting how you found the 718 and 911 different.
The extra power in the 911 was noticeable, while the extra size/weight wasn’t, at least not to me anyway (not that I’m any kind of expert). Or, at least whatever extra size/weight there was didn’t bother me any.

And that was one of the main things I wanted to look at; I didn’t want to get a 911 and feel like it was too big and wish I had gone with a 718. I’ve had heavier performance cars before and wasn’t happy with them. But I liked the 911 just fine.

I also like the refresher interior on the 992 vs the 718 which still looks basically like our old 2013 Panamera

Now, I’m just not sure on NA vs turbo, so I think I’m going to have to look at the NA 718s a little harder to be sure. I might do another dual session day sometime with the Spyder and a C2S again. I’m not even sure what 718 NA allocations look like though.
What sort of prices do they charge in the US/ EU?
@XLR82XS linked the site with pricing, and I see you already saw that. But generally around $400 - $1000 USD depending on the car plus tax and optional insurance to lower your deductible (which I got on both sessions). Total for me for both sessions was $1100.
Now, I am simply hoping they don't laugh too much when I get on the track.. Or kick plate. Or any of it. Maybe I too can nail the parking and Launch Control.
? I wouldn’t worry. Everyone was super nice. I’m sure your location will be the same. Just keep telling yourself, “I can’t be worse than Jeremy.”

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you get the additional insurance on the driving experience?
I did. I figured $50 to lower my potential cost from $10k to $2500 was worth it, especially in that environment and not knowing what to expect.

And while I don’t think I was ever in danger of damaging anything, I would still do it again.

The only time I was even nervous about it was the first time I entered the low-friction circle, because they allow two cars at a time. ?

I was just thinking “You want me to take this expensive car into that tiny, slick, wet circle with that other expensive car while we both spin out and try not hit each other? Did you think any of this through…at all?”

?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium 4X, ready for the Macan EV Turbo
Country flag
Speaking with a Porsche (corporate) rep, he was telling me that taking delivery at PEC allows you to track a car like yours but not the one you just bought.

in which case, PPF wouldn’t make a difference, just like you wouldn’t start ruining your tires either.

Or was I ill informed?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the write up, loved reading it!
Now really makes me want to visit this PCE, would be my first.

Did you take delivery there in the end?
What was the experience like?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Speaking with a Porsche (corporate) rep, he was telling me that taking delivery at PEC allows you to track a car like yours but not the one you just bought.

in which case, PPF wouldn’t make a difference, just like you wouldn’t start ruining your tires either.

Or was I ill informed?
You are correct. They allow you to drive a car like yours on the track.

I wouldn't want to drive the car home without it being PPFed. That was more my concern than the track

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are correct. They allow you to drive a car like yours on the track.

I wouldn't want to drive the car home without it being PPFed. That was more my concern than the track
Ah that makes complete sense, thank you for clarifying!

Thinking about taking delivery in Atlanta for the Macan EV… but that’s also just shy of 900 miles away from home. Quite the drive back - with at the very least 3 stops to charge.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you take delivery there in the end?
What was the experience like?
I have not taken delivery there. I’ve never heard a complaint from someone who has.
Sponsored