Had my first EV experience….(Tesla)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's just so funny to watch these kind of conversations and the absence of the ability to adapt.
People just need shit to complain about. Someone could build the perfect car and people would still find something to complain about. Remember the old joke about the Jewish grandma walking her grandson on the beach?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Tell me, how often do you change settings while driving?
I adjust volume frequently enough that I don’t find the touch screen replacement for a knob to be a positive change.
the absence of the ability to adapt.
That’s silly…

So, if they moved the volume controls to the trunk and I complained, that would just be me not adapting, right?
Or can we debate the merits of individual design decisions?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
We own a Tesla Model Y and I can say this:

Tesla makes very convenient and comfortable 4 wheeled appliances that are designed for people who want to do as little work as possible when driving.

Which describes the majority of car owners who don't care about cars, the fun of real driving and aren't enthusiasts.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That’s silly…
So, if they moved the volume controls to the trunk and I complained, that would just be me not adapting, right?
Talking about "silly"...🤦🏻‍♂️

The volume is on the steering wheel, on the touch pad (two-finger slide), on voice command and on the +/-.
What more choices do you want my dear?

Or can we debate the merits of individual design decisions
We are doing exactly that.

Last edited:

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMO, the Taycan has 3 seats too many. 4 if you have the whatever thing that is in the back. I'd rather if mine was configured with the hypersleep chambers from Aliens so I can just knock the passengers out and store them in the back. it'd be more space efficient anyway.

At that point, who cares about how the passenger can adjust the volume. Also solves the problem of the passenger changing the music station on you.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
on the touch pad (two-finger slide), on voice command and on the +/-.
What are worse ways to adjust the volume than a knob?

I’ll take “Worse Ways to do Something Simple” for $400, Alex.

What more choices do you want my dear?
Lol….I’m not even answering that. Like I haven’t stated it half a dozen times….🙄

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
We could do with two classes of member on this forum.

* Tesla experienced owners

* Everyone else

Its surprises me how often the Taycan gets compared to features on a Tesla, but seldom from all the other brands / models (even other Porsche models).

I wonder what it would have been like if the Taycan came out first and Tesla followed.....?
Tesla forums full of people complaining about the driving experience, brakes, build quality etc 🤣

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I wonder what it would have been like if the Taycan came out first and Tesla followed.....?
We'd probably be in about the same place. Tesla volume ramp is much quicker than Porsche so they would have bypassed the Taycan by now. Tesla delivery times are many months, if not years shorter than Taycan today. Tesla would not have learned much from Porsche since Elon suffers from "not invented here, I know better" syndrome (e.g. the stalkless yoke). The only question would be, how much of the Taycan design was influenced by Tesla - that would of course be missing if Taycan came out first.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
In regards the rear AC, you can at least turn it off from the front controls...
How? By switching off the AC completely and then switching on the front AC? Have I really miss a button after 2 years? :rolleyes:

After 2 years, and extreme hot temps of up to 38 °C with 98% humidity, I am learning a special grip to the back seat AC display to switch it on while driving. :whew:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Maybe I'm an outlier but I like the way the media, including the volume adjustment is set up on the Taycan. Of course I do have the passenger screen so when my wife wants to play with the music she can do that very easily from there. I find using either the wheel, my preference when driving, or the +/- on the center console to be quite simple.

I don't have an issue with Homelink either. I only open one garage door and I used the popup without issue for the first month. Then, since I couldn't decide what else to use the programmable button on the steering wheel for, I set it up to open/close the garage door.

I also found it more convenient to set up the programmable button on the screen to start the surround view cameras since I prefer having them on a bit earlier than when they come on automatically.

One enhancement that I would like is maybe two or three more programmable buttons. I'm not sure what I'd even use them for but I like to tinker with that sort of thing.

On the AirConditioning, I live in southern Arizona and the temps are often over 100F/38C and the Taycan's AC seems to easily keep the entire car very cool. I don't have the Pano roof and do have UV film on all of the windows as well as the Noise and Thermally insulated glass.

Overall I'm quite happy with the design, even the software design, of my Taycan. There is always room for improvement, but every time I go for a drive it leaves me smiling.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
How? By switching off the AC completely and then switching on the front AC? Have I really miss a button after 2 years? :rolleyes:

After 2 years, and extreme hot temps of up to 38 °C with 98% humidity, I am learning a special grip to the back seat AC display to switch it on while driving. :whew:
apparently you have - maybe read the manual 🙄- in the AC menu, look at top right on main screen - tap ‘Rear’ then tap ‘off’! Turns off rear and leaves only front on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Not sure how this turned into an AC/volume thread, but to get back to the model 3. I took it on some mountainous backroads (CA HWY 130 is incredible by the way) and was very impressed with the suspension and the “tossability” of it. The steering was completely numb but it outperformed my expectations on that front. The lack of sound really affected me more aggressively driving than it did just cruising through town though, so I’ll be interested to compare to the GTS sports sound when it comes to backroad blasting.

Additionally, I got to experience first hand how driving aggressively up to 4,300ft obliterates range (25 miles ended up costing me about 45 miles), but also how driving downhill can substantially increase to that range. I must’ve driven about 25 miles or so downhill and actually added 3 miles of range. Incredible.

Overall, I get why people DD these cars. I had a lower-trim model 3 so the range annoyed me (210 miles at 95%, yuck). I felt like I was driving to a charger at the end of each evening, so I’ll be excited to get 280-300 miles of range on the newly updated Taycan. However, charging is simple and easy, the ride isn’t luxurious but it’s relatively compliant, and while I personally don’t care for the “iPhone-like” approach the car takes to everything, it’s approachable for some people. The car is still not my cup of tea, but as far as an introductory experience to driving an EV, I think it went well all things considered. I’m more pumped for the refinement and sportiness of a Porsche stacked on top of the smooth power delivery of an EV!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Not sure how this turned into an AC/volume thread, but to get back to the model 3. I took it on some mountainous backroads (CA HWY 130 is incredible by the way) and was very impressed with the suspension and the “tossability” of it. The steering was completely numb but it outperformed my expectations on that front. The lack of sound really affected me more aggressively driving than it did just cruising through town though, so I’ll be interested to compare to the GTS sports sound when it comes to backroad blasting.

Additionally, I got to experience first hand how driving aggressively up to 4,300ft obliterates range (25 miles ended up costing me about 45 miles), but also how driving downhill can substantially increase to that range. I must’ve driven about 25 miles or so downhill and actually added 3 miles of range. Incredible.

Overall, I get why people DD these cars. I had a lower-trim model 3 so the range annoyed me (210 miles at 95%, yuck). I felt like I was driving to a charger at the end of each evening, so I’ll be excited to get 280-300 miles of range on the newly updated Taycan. However, charging is simple and easy, the ride isn’t luxurious but it’s relatively compliant, and while I personally don’t care for the “iPhone-like” approach the car takes to everything, it’s approachable for some people. The car is still not my cup of tea, but as far as an introductory experience to driving an EV, I think it went well all things considered. I’m more pumped for the refinement and sportiness of a Porsche stacked on top of the smooth power delivery of an EV!
it grows on you - it still has issues but it grows on you - it also helps if you compare it at 50k out the door to anything else for similar price for 50k…charging/range is less of an issue when charging at home every night - public charging isn't a thing unless you're road tripping.

for the price point as a 4 door sedan in my opinion the Model 3 is hard to beat vs. simliar priced 4 door sedans…there are better cars than the 3 - but not in it segment in my opinion.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
The steering was completely numb but it outperformed my expectations on that front.
Could you explain what you mean here? Every video on the Model 3's steering says the complete opposite. Even Misha Charoudin said it was TOO direct when he did a run on the ring with one. I myself found it quite firm (heavy?) when I test drove one a few weeks ago.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a red M3P that I ordered after that test drive.
Sponsored