85% Minimum Charge Not Working

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
... my 85% minimum is not being observed, and it charges up to 100%
For OP, could this *edited: problem you're having* be as simple as having direct charging selected in your profile?
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Can you give a more elaborate answer Adrian? I’m having trouble too with the minimum charging and stopping at 85%. My provider of electricity suggested smart charging, but that was no succes. After removing everything in the app and the system of the provider, I’m struggling a bit with the right settings for charging when the electricity is the cheapest. My preference is charging only until 85%. Can I do that with the preferred period in the app in combination with the minimum charging, or only (as you say) in combination with the timer?
This is what I used for 2 years. before switching to an electricity provider who offered smart anytime charging with Taycan integration.

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working Daily Timer.PNG

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working Profile - Preferred Charging Time

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I need to try this to test it out for curiosity purposes.

My understanding is that if you select Optimized option under Profile, it is not supported in the US, and basically a dead end signal to the Profile to stop at its setting, which is what you are doing to make sure it is not going beyond its setting, however, this is what the OP has selected but it blows past 85% setting and goes to 100%.

I just use a Timer function to limit charging to my preferred 85% limit by my AM departure time of 7am. I have no need for a Profile function fully understanding its benefit of getting to its setting as soon as possible vs. Timer function doing it intelligently and slowly between the plug-in time and target time.
Optimised setting only works in conjunction with a Home Energy Manager (HEM) which balances power sources such as grid and solar for charging.

Works anywhere with the correct setup.

Reactions: D00

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
What are your preferred times?

You need a timer for this setup regardless.

If your ending preferred time is close to when you would set the timer (e.g. both are around 7am) then you only need a timer. Add a profile if you want either a higher minimum than 25% or if the preferred end time is very different than what you may set a timer for.
This is what I used for 2 years. before switching to an electricity provider who offered smart anytime charging with Taycan integration.

Daily Timer.PNG

Profile - Preferred Charging Time.png
Thanks Adrian, this is what I was looking for. Is it correct that on the second picture (Home - 85%) the minimum set is 25%? I’missing the red dot that indicates this, as is shown in my app.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
For OP, could this be as simple as having direct charging selected?
Not really given they want to make use of specific off peak / low rate charging period.
Sorry, what I meant to ask was whether that was causing the issue, as it would cause the car to start charging immediately and, I believe, charge all the way to 100% if there's no timer being used.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
And a PhD in Porsche thinking about charging. If this software was developed anywhere else it would be a simple slider. The Taycan charging complexity is nothing more than invoking the inner SAP in Germany.
Love that last point. So true!!

A simple min and max slider would be great. Along with cheap tariff rate setting. Then let the car work out when to charge when plugged in.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks Adrian, this is what I was looking for. Is it correct that on the second picture (Home - 85%) the minimum set is 25%? I’missing the red dot that indicates this, as is shown in my app.
Yeah - these screenshots are from the old app but my minimum charge is always set to 25% (I don't need any more than that). If you feel you need more then set accordingly and remember that your car will start to charge immediately if below the minimum before pausing and then charge to 85% within the time period set.

azraeil

First Name
Nazhri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
We don’t have peak or off peak tariff where I am from so I basically just setup a profile for a minimum charge of 85% and it has been honored everytime. I do not have a timer setup but last week, I was charging at a hotel and I setup a timer to charge my car to 100% at 9:15AM as I was going home which was 250 miles away. Works like a charm too. Have deleted the timer as it was a once off thing.

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working 1707141670996

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Location based and location independent profiles do different things. With the location independent profile, only available to set up in the car, the minimum charge becomes a maximum! So if you want to limit your charge to 85% at home, only use this profile. Setting optimised charging will allow you to set charge times by your EVSE or timer if required.
A profile with home as the location changes this minimum charge to exactly that. It will charge to that level immediately, regardless of timers, assuming you are at home, obviously!

Last edited:

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Porsche Taycan RWD, 2024 Audi SQ5 Prestige
Country flag
Location based and location independent profiles do different things. With the location independent profile, only available to set up in the car, the minimum charge becomes a maximum! So if you want to limit your charge to 85% at home, only use this profile. Setting optimised charging will allow you to set charge times by your EVSE or timer if required.
A profile with home as the location changes this minimum charge to exactly that. It will charge to that level immediately, regardless of timers, assuming you are at home, obviously!
Maybe the Independent Profile in car only is a MY limitation bc in my 24 I set it up in the app. I’ve not set up any profiles in the car at all.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Apologies but I think this description is confusing - in particular "minimum" vs "maximum".

Minimum means exactly that "minimum"

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working 1707158544383

Optimised charging relates to something else entirely and requires the use of a Home Energy Manager (HEM).

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working 1707158595921

The purpose of the Timer is to control start and end times within which the desired target charge level should be reached (if possible). A profile on its own is not enough to control the charging session without risking over charging the set target rate.

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working 1707158683772

Choosing a timer window which encapsulates your cheap rate tariff can be programmed.

For more sophisticated programming / tariff friendly programming then a HEM is needed OR choose a provider which can integrate with the Taycan PCM directly (e.g. OVO or Octopus in UK) which will charge at periods of their choice charging the lowest tariff possible.

All profiles can be managed from My Porsche App, My Porsche website and the PCM. Only location based profiles can be deleted. There is always 1 profile available named "General" which can be configured, enabled or disabled but not deleted via My Porsche App or My Porsche website.

All of this has been standard since the Taycan launch 2020 and is Model Year (MY) independent.

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Sorry, but I stand by my description above. With only a non location dependant profile set to 85%, whatever else I set either timer wise or via my EVSE, unless I specifically ask for more than 85%, it always stops at 85%. I can leave it plugged in for days and it won’t charge above this.
I think it’s more a case of language semantics. Specifically, the home setting will always immediately charge to that minimum %. Non-location, it will charge to that minimum level, but only when you allow it to…optimised charging. If you don’t set any other level, then it won’t charge any further as you haven’t told it to via any other means. In effect, the 85% becomes a max charge state, but fair enough, by default. This is exactly how I was told it would work by my SA, and it’s worked every time in this way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry, but I stand by my description above. With only a non location dependant profile set to 85%, whatever else I set either timer wise or via my EVSE, unless I specifically ask for more than 85%, it always stops at 85%. I can leave it plugged in for days and it won’t charge above this.
I think it’s more a case of language semantics. Specifically, the home setting will always immediately charge to that minimum %. Non-location, it will charge to that minimum level, but only when you allow it to…optimised charging. If you don’t set any other level, then it won’t charge any further as you haven’t told it to via any other means. In effect, the 85% becomes a max charge state, but fair enough, by default. This is exactly how I was told it would work by my SA, and it’s worked every time in this way.
The only difference between a General and Location-based profile is simply whether the profile is automatically invoked or not. I have 2 charging locations and therefore have 2 location based profiles. The setting of each profile is different. The correct profile is auto selected when within range of the nearest location.

There is no need for a general profile unless you do a lot of public AC charging (why would you?) but if active and location isn't then these parameters are used / become generic. That said, most people will have a General profile always active in case of public AC charging (otherwise they likely can't charge their car) or remember to enable Direct Charge to bypass both profile and timer.

To use optimised charging (implies time windows and tariff rates pre-programmed) requires further infrastructure such as a HEM. Folk will use on of these to take advantage of solar and grid power in tandem in order to leverage the most cost effective and efficient means of home charging.

A profile on its own with optimised charging doesn't do anything other than charge until you stop it.

Porsche Taycan 85% Minimum Charge Not Working 1707161674170

We've had this debate on the forum now for over 3 years now but in my experience and on 2 Taycans, profile charging on its own leads to unintended consequences and typically over charging (ignoring - preferred time slots and minimum charge setting). Several attempts at 85% profile charging only led to 100% as there is nothing to stop the process unless manual intervention is made.

Personally, I've little use now for either a timer / profile combination as I use OVO Charge Anytime (0.07p / kW) which relies on a profile (named Enode) and timer which it manages during variable off-peak periods at any time of the day. Control is then made by automatically setting the timer as the set charge level is met. Ergo, timer and profile must work in tandem to control a charging session even when the energy company is in control.

If your method works for you, great.
Sponsored