Test drive 911 and Taycan

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Maybe the future Taycan S rwd will be a good compromise?
Not sure they’ll do that. It would be the sweet spot, power wise but price wise it wouldn’t make sense. A GTS with turbo rwd slotted above the 4S is much more likely.
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
From the OP: "A few things that aren't quite ideal is suppose - it is a huge car. Very wide and probably not easy to find large enough spaces in the UK."

:giggle: Apologies, for laughing at the 'huge car' sentiment. I know the road system in UK is vastly different, my sister-in-law lived in the Midlands and we visited often.

Every time I've visited the UK, I am astonished that you can fly at 60mph down a narrow 2-way lane that would literally be zoned as a 25mph zone here in N. America.

Blurry hedgerows with a lorry coming the other direction at 100km/h, now THAT'S the Ultimate Driving Experience!

Back to my point: during my daily drives around here (in Canada), my Taycan is so low it's literally dwarfed by Kias, Fords, etc. ... not to mention the 'Cowboy Cadiallics' (large trucks with 6.7L engines). The Taycan is a quite compact vehicle in Canada / USA.

Even a Toyota Corolla looks bigger, but I think that's due to the Taycan's very low seating position and centre of gravity.

BTW, I'd go with your son's advice. Can't see how you'd regret the Taycan (apart from getting a lemon). I chose to go this way not only for the "eco" component, but also for performance and "future proofing" my vehicle.

In 10 years, ICE vehicles will likely be on the wane. I think the writing's on the wall. YTD sales figures for Porsche even show the Taycan is edging out the iconic 911.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Is a Taycan S RWD going to happen?
Would you not guess that ultimately there will be a base, S, 4, 4S, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S, with the base and the S being RWD and the other ones AWD? Maybe there is not enough price room (yet) to squeeze both an S and a 4 between the base and the 4S?

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
From the OP: "A few things that aren't quite ideal is suppose - it is a huge car. Very wide and probably not easy to find large enough spaces in the UK."

:giggle: Apologies, for laughing at the 'huge car' sentiment. I know the road system in UK is vastly different, my sister-in-law lived in the Midlands and we visited often.

Back to my point: during my daily drives around here (in Canada), my Taycan is so low it's literally dwarfed by Kias, Fords, etc. ... not to mention the 'Cowboy Cadiallics' (large trucks with 6.7L engines). The Taycan is a quite compact vehicle in Canada / USA.

Even a Toyota Corolla looks bigger, but I think that's due to the Taycan's very low seating position and centre of gravity.
It’s a large car; but in a different kind of way. It’s smaller than the Panamera, and it sits lower and wider almost like a super car. The cockpit is definitely compact in comparison with the size of the car.

Ideally they’d lose the rear doors, get the car under 4Klbs. and create an awesome coupe line, but Porsche doesn’t seem to be interested in anything other than four-doors.

Last edited:

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that the tough decision within the next 24 months is going to be between a Taycan and an BEV Macan and not the 911 and a Taycan. I really loved the way my 911.1 would handle but the Macan GTS I drove was not very far behind. A high powered BEV Macan has the chance to be something very, very sweet If priced close to current Macan prices.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It’s a large car; but in a different kind of way. It’s smaller than the Panamera, and it sits lower and wider almost like a super car. The cockpit is definitely compact in comparison with the size of the car.
It is smaller than the Panamera, but not by much. But it does definitely feel much smaller than the Panamera while driving.

Panamera vs Taycan
Porsche Taycan Test drive 911 and Taycan FEDC34F6-697D-4308-9F79-F6E25554CAE0

Taycan vs 911
Porsche Taycan Test drive 911 and Taycan 58A7FC7C-C7EA-431E-8681-BF1E0C6C6CD2

Just for fun…Ram 2500 vs Elise
Porsche Taycan Test drive 911 and Taycan BD22EA5D-8446-4D33-9AEC-54AEC0DBC2D6

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It is smaller than the Panamera, but not by much. But it does definitely feel much smaller than the Panamera while driving.

Panamera vs Taycan
FEDC34F6-697D-4308-9F79-F6E25554CAE0.png

Taycan vs 911
58A7FC7C-C7EA-431E-8681-BF1E0C6C6CD2.png

BD22EA5D-8446-4D33-9AEC-54AEC0DBC2D6.png
What site is that, or is it a custom thing?

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

Panamera vs Taycan
FEDC34F6-697D-4308-9F79-F6E25554CAE0.png

Taycan vs 911
58A7FC7C-C7EA-431E-8681-BF1E0C6C6CD2.png

BD22EA5D-8446-4D33-9AEC-54AEC0DBC2D6.png
Fun! Thanks for this.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Having been wondering about a 911 I posted on here a couple of weeks ago and got your views on a 911 vs Taycan (obviously in favour of the Taycan) and took both for a test drive. My 19 year old son insisted on coming along.

The 911 Carerra 4S was up first and it is fair to say my son had already made up his mind that I needed one and there probably wasn't much point in driving the Taycan. So we were shown round the car and off we went. It was awesome! Fantastic car. A bit bumpy over any defects in the road, but nothing like a Cayman. A bit noisy when accelerating but again, nothing intrusive or annoying like the Cayman. Sharp handling, good power delivery. All in all, a great drive. My son was absolutely sold on it and so was I - my thinking was that the Taycan would have to be pretty amazing to better it.

Having returned the 911 we then went out in a Taycan 4S. After a few minutes getting lost around a housing estate we found an open road. Oh my goodness! The power delivery is something else. I knew what was meant by instant torque, but had never experienced it like this before. After 10 minutes my son asked me what I thought. Smoother, quite, comfortable, refined but goes like a rocket when you want it to. Yes he said. It's better than the 911. You have to get one of these. Although that was my thinking, I didn't really expect him to be won over quite so quickly. We took it home and I think that my wife even liked it.

A few things that aren't quite ideal is suppose - it is a huge car. Very wide and probably not easy to find large enough spaces in the UK. Some slightly strange things like having to go into the PCM to change the direction of the air coming out of the vents. Anyway, it is quite clearly an amazing car - so an order has been placed. Hopefully it will appear by the end of the year. I will post a draft spec on the appropriate bit of the forum although I understand that this is risky and that between you, you will try to make me spend another £10k!
No offense to your son but I probably wouldn't use his opinion as a key factor in your decision making.

The 911 and Taycan, while both fast cars with the Porsche badge, are two very different cars.

If you ever have a desire to own a 911 at one point in your life, then go ahead and get the 911 now before such cars are no longer so readily available (louder, more engaging and visceral sports cars).

If you don't have '911 ownership' on your life's 'to do' list and rather have speed and performance in a much more quiet and luxurious package with 4 doors, and he technology forward then get the Taycan.

Very simple decision to me.

seea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Singer Classic 911, Carrera GT, F430, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm going from a 964 to a Taycan (when it arrives...).
Expecting it to be a little, er, different!
964 is an awesome driver's car.
big trade-offs there, but ultimately comes down to what you primarily intend to use the car for.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
964 is an awesome driver's car.
big trade-offs there, but ultimately comes down to what you primarily intend to use the car for.
It was a great car to drive. Had it for 13 years. But I found I wasn't using it much and the arrival of our grandson made me feel I should do my bit for the planet. There weren't many cars that came close to owning and driving a 964, but after testing the Taycan I thought it was time to change.

seea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Singer Classic 911, Carrera GT, F430, Taycan 4S
Country flag
that makes a lot of sense. I too am swapping my daily driver 911 (992 C2S) for a Taycan 4S because of utility, the environment, ease & comfort. a different kind of appreciation.

anyway, congrats on the arrival of your grandson & may you both enjoy lots of quality time in your new car.
Sponsored