Test drive 911 and Taycan

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Having been wondering about a 911 I posted on here a couple of weeks ago and got your views on a 911 vs Taycan (obviously in favour of the Taycan) and took both for a test drive. My 19 year old son insisted on coming along.

The 911 Carerra 4S was up first and it is fair to say my son had already made up his mind that I needed one and there probably wasn't much point in driving the Taycan. So we were shown round the car and off we went. It was awesome! Fantastic car. A bit bumpy over any defects in the road, but nothing like a Cayman. A bit noisy when accelerating but again, nothing intrusive or annoying like the Cayman. Sharp handling, good power delivery. All in all, a great drive. My son was absolutely sold on it and so was I - my thinking was that the Taycan would have to be pretty amazing to better it.

Having returned the 911 we then went out in a Taycan 4S. After a few minutes getting lost around a housing estate we found an open road. Oh my goodness! The power delivery is something else. I knew what was meant by instant torque, but had never experienced it like this before. After 10 minutes my son asked me what I thought. Smoother, quite, comfortable, refined but goes like a rocket when you want it to. Yes he said. It's better than the 911. You have to get one of these. Although that was my thinking, I didn't really expect him to be won over quite so quickly. We took it home and I think that my wife even liked it.

A few things that aren't quite ideal is suppose - it is a huge car. Very wide and probably not easy to find large enough spaces in the UK. Some slightly strange things like having to go into the PCM to change the direction of the air coming out of the vents. Anyway, it is quite clearly an amazing car - so an order has been placed. Hopefully it will appear by the end of the year. I will post a draft spec on the appropriate bit of the forum although I understand that this is risky and that between you, you will try to make me spend another £10k!
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
You are aware you are comparing two different cars right?
I had a 992 C4S for two months while my car was in the shop and I was glad I got my Taycan back.
A 911 is fun but it's more drama than performance, yes, it felt slow but the Taycan is the heavyweight here so that was quite remarkable.
I did set my PR at 305km/h in the 911 though... :)

I think the Taycan is the more refined car.
But then again, a 911 is a true sportscar while the Taycan is a ridiculously quick supersaloon.
It is a compliment for the Taycan if people compare it to the 911 though so I think you made the right decision.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. Of course I am aware they are different cars. The question to me was which one would I want to have as a daily drive car. I don't go to tracks, so it is simply performance on the road and which I would want to live with. Since I can only buy one of them a direct back to back test drive seemed the obvious thing to do.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you manage get away with spending just £10k on extras lets us all know how you did it.....
I have already added £13k. I am concerned that you will all add me another 10k on top

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Having been wondering about a 911 I posted on here a couple of weeks ago and got your views on a 911 vs Taycan (obviously in favour of the Taycan) and took both for a test drive. My 19 year old son insisted on coming along.

The 911 Carerra 4S was up first and it is fair to say my son had already made up his mind that I needed one and there probably wasn't much point in driving the Taycan. So we were shown round the car and off we went. It was awesome! Fantastic car. A bit bumpy over any defects in the road, but nothing like a Cayman. A bit noisy when accelerating but again, nothing intrusive or annoying like the Cayman. Sharp handling, good power delivery. All in all, a great drive. My son was absolutely sold on it and so was I - my thinking was that the Taycan would have to be pretty amazing to better it.

Having returned the 911 we then went out in a Taycan 4S. After a few minutes getting lost around a housing estate we found an open road. Oh my goodness! The power delivery is something else. I knew what was meant by instant torque, but had never experienced it like this before. After 10 minutes my son asked me what I thought. Smoother, quite, comfortable, refined but goes like a rocket when you want it to. Yes he said. It's better than the 911. You have to get one of these. Although that was my thinking, I didn't really expect him to be won over quite so quickly. We took it home and I think that my wife even liked it.

A few things that aren't quite ideal is suppose - it is a huge car. Very wide and probably not easy to find large enough spaces in the UK. Some slightly strange things like having to go into the PCM to change the direction of the air coming out of the vents. Anyway, it is quite clearly an amazing car - so an order has been placed. Hopefully it will appear by the end of the year. I will post a draft spec on the appropriate bit of the forum although I understand that this is risky and that between you, you will try to make me spend another £10k!
Parking isn't an issue and no bigger than a Panamera (for example) so don't sweat that one. Make sure you add the 360 Pano view (not the 3D) and this will make your life simpler for parking etc.

There are many shortcuts to access functions which you wouldn't have had time to explore. There is an AC menu on the lower screen (not the PCM) which calls up the main screen (for example), you can say 'Hey Porsche, it's warm in here' and she will oblige and turn up the cooling.

In the perfect world you'd have both cars!

Reactions: B61

neilj007

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan, Renault Zoe
Country flag
I reckon a good rule of thumb to get the ideal spec is add 20% of options onto the base price....that's how mine worked out anyway :)

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I reckon a good rule of thumb to get the ideal spec is add 20% of options onto the base price....that's how mine worked out anyway :)
Wow. I had heard 10% being a limit, but can’t really get what I think I want for that. So 15% isn’t bad!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I drove a 911 4S and a Taycan 4S back-to-back on the Monticello Raceway (NY state) during a Porsche customer event late last year. The 911 was a lot more dramatic, with sounds, shudders, and vibrations, but the Taycan was actually faster. Reminded me a bit of the U2 pilots in their pressurized suits at the time, watching the Concorde pass at the same altitude, thinking about the carefree passengers in there having their glass of champagne...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Check this review at minute 9:00
It basically says the same thing that you said.
I think the correct statement is that "Taycan is better than a 911 as a daily car but the 911 is still better for the track or for really spirited driving."

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Check this review at minute 9:00
It basically says the same thing that you said.
I think the correct statement is that "Taycan is better than a 911 as a daily car but the 911 is still better for the track or for really spirited driving."

The 911 is the more visceral experience, the Taycan the more rational one.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I went from a 991.1 to the Taycan myself. Very different cars as many have noted, but the smooth and seemingly effortless power delivery of the Taycan is really something else. I like it more every time I drive it.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I really do want to own a 911 at some point. But for now, I'm realizing that 95% of the time I won't have the opportunity to spend a few hours really enjoying it by myself on a windy road or track (having a young kid and all). The driving experience is of course completely different, but you do get some Porsche DNA in the Taycan with great handling combined with good ride quality and pretty good steering feel. I also like the view out the front with the bulging fenders-- its reminiscent of sitting in porsche sports car. And finally, I think the Taycan is the first good looking 4 door car from Porsche... they really managed to capture just the right amount of 911 influence while making it modern and differnet at the same time. And since I dont see them as much as 911s, I still get excited when I see them on the road... the are so striking in person.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee