daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I had originally spec'd a Turbo build for $198,000. When the 4S came out, I spec'd that, and it came to $166,000, a difference of $32,000.

I lease my cars and never keep them more than 2 years. While the difference was "only" $32,000 for basically the exact same car, minus the .8 second, the residual value is so much less on the Turbo that on a two year lease, the payment was $1,000 more a month.

I remember in my younger years, I was so excited about getting my Aston Martin Vanquish S sooner rather than later, I had it flown in on a 747 overnight, the day it completed production. That was all a lot of fun, but I am past all of that stuff now.

I am loving my 4S and, for me, it is fast enough, although I can surely understand why others may choose differently. We all do crazy things with our cars, some more rational than others.

IMG_1236.jpeg
IMG_1252.jpeg
IMG_1280.jpeg

I'm sooo jealous and feel inadequate - really really awesome work @LovinTaycan

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
Agreed but like for like my builds were $30K apart. That was enough for me to “settle” with the 4S and its paltry 0-60 speed.
Same here. Identical options on the 4s versus turbo yielded exactly 30k difference. A lot of cash for stupid fast. Love the turbo. But love my 4s

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
I wish it were easier to compare the two trim levels. Did I miss a feature on the web site?
If your 12v dies will the power charge port open?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no it won’t - you have to revive the car - but mostly the car dies while it’s charging - so the port is already open.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I was specifically told by my SA today that the issues with the 12V battery and charging from the APP have been resolved on my car. When my car came in, they changed the 12V battery with a new one, and did a charging software update.

Are others also doing this? Does this problem still exist?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes it may be a new problem - but we are certain the app + 12v problem is fixed - that doesn’t mean there are not different problems that are now exposed - this is common in software systems and it’s called “peeling the onion” - once you fix one problem the less frequent problems that were originally hidden become visible.

is the app + 12v problem fixed - yes - most likely.
does that mean the taycan has no known remaining 12V problem - no - my car is proof of that.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I was soooooo close going with a Turbo vs. 4S when I started down the road to ownership a couple of months back.

My local dealership had both on hand in specs close to what I wanted so I went and checked them both out.

Ultimately I went with the 4S because I couldn't justify nearly 40k more for a marginal trim upgrade and a slightly faster 0-60. The 4S is still nastier than 99% of cars on the road. Even Teslas with faster 0-60's you might find around town are never able to hang because those fast times only really come with a juiced battery, which outside of a track you never see.

As a daily driver that I never track and coming from a Model S performance, for me I knew the chances to really "gun it" are few and far between in my day to day, and the superior handling and ride quality was what I was after.

TBH, I think jumping from Turbo to Turbo S makes more sense than 4S to Turbo.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even Teslas with faster 0-60's you might find around town are never able to hang because those fast times only really come with a juiced battery
not true based on my experience when a Model Y performance dusted me at a stop light - Taycan are quick, but actually slower if you’re not doing launch control - i.e. if you’re unprepared the Tesla’s are quite a bit quicker

no contest if you’re in launch control - but if you‘re in range/normal - Tesla 3’s and Y’s are super quick off the line.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
not true based on my experience when a Model Y performance dusted me at a stop light - Taycan are quick, but actually slower if you’re not doing launch control - i.e. if you’re unprepared the Tesla’s are quite a bit quicker

no contest if you’re in launch control - but if you‘re in range/normal - Tesla 3’s and Y’s are super quick off the line.
Knew there was a good reason to justify a Turbo S!

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Hasn't been my experience at all, but I don't see many performance Tesla's where I live to begin with. Mostly older Model S vehicles and a few long range 3's and Y's. Even then, after the initial 0-60 they peter out, and if you are going light to light, you really see diminished returns. My friend took his P3D with a full battery and ran it against my 4S. I ran the 4S with and without launch control, and the 3 killed it 0-60 but was nearly a tie quarter mile without, and barely beat it 0-60, losing quarter mile with, although the second run is already when you start to see diminished returns on Tesla's. By the third run I was able to win a 0-60 and quarter mile. By the 5th run the 3 was already dying and seconds behind. This was again with optimum conditions for the Tesla, unlike what is typically on the road, and I showed up with my car at a 60% charge.

Honestly, in my area Camero's and Ford Mustang GT's are a dime a dozen, and they always want to race light to light, and they're always eaten up.

Again though, get what you want and can afford. A little extra speed was hard to justify for my lifestyle and driving habits, but it might be perfect for you.

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
My build is now apparently locking on 8th.... This Friday!

Final decision time on interior, colour and options. Eek!

Crayon or Neptune Blue!

Last edited:

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Do you get any 2020 tax credit/benefit for taking delivery this year?

In the US the Federal tax credit ($7500) combined with my state of Colorado ($4000) came out to $11,500. If I took delivery this year I would get the credit back in roughly April of 2021. If I took delivery in early 2021 (ordered a Turbo from the factory) I wouldn't get the credit until April of 2022. So that helped rationalize taking delivery of a vehicle already available in my situation.
I am just about to freeze my build today, with delivery in early January. But I am also curious about the tax credit. Does one pay for the car upon delivery, which in both of our cases would be early 2021? Or does one pay when the vehicle hits the port (in December)? I searched the web but couldn't find any definitive answers.

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
I am just about to freeze my build today, with delivery in early January. But I am also curious about the tax credit. Does one pay for the car upon delivery, which in both of our cases would be early 2021? Or does one pay when the vehicle hits the port (in December)? I searched the web but couldn't find any definitive answers.
Well im UK so think its not the same. Might be worth checking on the US forum...

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's based on when you take delivery, as that's when you pay for it, and it becomes yours. You pay for the car, then claim the tax credit in the following year when you file taxes.
Sponsored