First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
annoyingly the fault has just cleared itself
Usually, powering off the car, locking it and waiting 15 minutes will clear faults...which is likely why it's "OK" now. But you have the photographic evidence.

Fortunately, this "annoyance" can also prove useful, if you have a fault that is intermittent but currently blocking operation - power off, lock, walk away and curse for 15 minutes, then unlock and drive away.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
annoyingly the fault has just cleared itself ; just in time before Porsche assist can look at it ? have no idea when it is going to do this again ?
That's how things go in these rolling computers. I would always turn the car off, then on, then do a reboot before placing the call into service.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get random "warnings" pretty frequently as well. Reboot the car by turning off and restarting, that usually corrects things. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

OP
OP

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
From other posts I’ve read, it appears rebooting the PCM may also clear any diagnostic messages. So if it’s not an emergency situation where you need to get the car going again it may be better to leave it as is.

Why Porsche decided to write critical error logs into a user-clearable space is :facepalm: If I had done something like that back in my embedded systems days I would’ve been made to wear a necklace of rotten meat around the office for a week.
?

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
annoyingly the fault has just cleared itself ; just in time before Porsche assist can look at it ? have no idea when it is going to do this again ?
Hi Nav, did they actually turn up to see the car? I must admit the idea of my RWD freezing up when I need to get to work is a worry. Everyday I look at this forum, I see another one has had an electrical problem....definitely cutting down the electrical specs ? on my order

OP
OP

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Hi Nav, did they actually turn up to see the car? I must admit the idea of my RWD freezing up when I need to get to work is a worry. Everyday I look at this forum, I see another one has had an electrical problem....definitely cutting down the electrical specs ? on my order
yep they turned up - diagnostics revealed nothing - they just told me to report back if it happens again .... taken it for a quick drive seems fine now ... will wait and see but pretty sure this is not the end of it......

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
According to the NHTSA website, all of the reported problems for the Taycan MY2020/MY2021 are electrical related.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
According to the NHTSA website, all of the reported problems for the Taycan MY2020/MY2021 are electrical related.
which is par for the course. in my experience for some reason the german manufacturers seem to be unable to master the modern electronics found in cars today. I had a BMW X6 that was a great car but terribly wonky electronics.
I finally dumped it after it bricked itself one morning.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately it's an electric car.
I knew what I was getting into. :D
as long as the wonkiness doesn't affect the drivability of the car I just roll with it.
control alt delete cures many issues

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The categorization of the complaints as "electrical" is selected by the person who submits the complaint. If you read the details they all boil down to "the car died while driving" and this what really matters, because that dictates how dangerous the issue is.
Only Porsche can tell if that is an electrical issue or something else. Who knows, there is a tiny chance something is wrong with rear axle transmission, so it might be a mechanical issue.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The categorization of the complaints as "electrical" is selected by the person who submits the complaint. If you read the details they all boil down to "the car died while driving" and this what really matters, because that dictates how dangerous the issue is.
Only Porsche can tell if that is an electrical issue or something else. Who knows, there is a tiny chance something is wrong with rear axle transmission, so it might be a mechanical issue.
I'm curious, exactly what other than an electrical or tech failure would cause the car to shut down?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm curious, exactly what other than an electrical or tech failure would cause the car to shut down?
Any problem with the mechanical parts of the transmission or the motor itself like the clutches or gears. Then the software detects the problem and stalls the car.
Btw, in most cases the car is not shut down. It is still on but it does not move i.e. no power is sent to the motors.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Any problem with the mechanical parts of the transmission or the motor itself like the clutches or gears. Then the software detects the problem and stalls the car.
Btw, in most cases the car is not shut down. It is still on but it does not move i.e. no power is sent to the motors.
transmissions? clutches? gears?
Sponsored