Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for normal use

charging once a day is un-likely to be a problem
don't charge to 100% - 85% is a good target
all home charging is consider "slow" charging
don't fast charge "all the time" - but again once a week or 3 times a month is inconseqential

of the things you control as a consumer charging to 100% is most likely to be the MOST consequential - so avoid do that unless you really need the extra range for some reason.

most everything else is outside your control - with regards to the Battery's life.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thanks, and yes I’m charging at 9.6 kW using my PMCC at home on a NEMA 14-50 outlet connected to dedicated 50 amp breaker. so basically, I can choose to top off to 85% at any time, whether I’m down to 25% charge or 60% charge, it’s all the same?
yes - Porsche's warranty says you can…for at least 100,000 miles or 8 years - which ever come first.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
unless you're on "time of use billing" I'd also have the car charge when ever it's plugged in - so that it's always ready for me…I'm on time of use billing where "off-peak" rates are 4x cheaper than "peak" - so I have my vehicle setup to charge after 11 pm - and done before 7 am…hitting my cheaper power rate of $0.08 kWh - at 3.2 miles/kwh - that's about $0.025 / mile driven vs. $0.21 / mile driven at $5.89 gas @ 28 mpg.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
that's great for you folks in the UK, here in my little part of the US that is not the situation.
my dealership has all of one certified taycan tech and it appears that he is not good at multitasking.

that said this is not a unique to porsche issue, outside of tesla, who's techs are obviously well versed in their product the level of EV specific knowledge of dealerships runs from abysmal to a bit above abysmal.

I have had a nissan dealership turn me away when I came in with a Leaf because they didn't have a trained tech who could work on the car, they used to send me coupons for oil changes, to porsche, where there is a lack of certified techs and then every repair appears to need approval from the mothership.

I just had my first encounter over at JLR because the onboard charger on my 2022 Ipace glitched and the car wouldn't charge, they offered me an appointment 5 weeks out.

great! an EV that cannot charge and they can't address it for weeks because they too lack the techs, and in the US JLR has sold only a handful of Ipaces. fortunately the problem cleared without any input from me.

knowledgeable folks on the forum is an asset, I am always taking info from here to my service advisor at porsche but that proves to be pointless because their response is "porsche hasn't approved this fix for your car", that was in response to inquiring about the latest recall.
so while armed with good info is good for people they sometimes run into the wall of bureaucracy at the service centers.

/ rant mode off
Good rant!😂

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
experts? salesmen are far from being experts. from what I've seen from porsche is that there is a severe lack of expertise available at the dealership level.
I agree with that, but covid hit about the time that all the education efforts for sales and service personnel were set to go...and then they didn't. So what I see now is an effort for the dealership teams to catch up on all this...and they're slowly doing that...but unfortunately we've been the ones to suffer through our own learning experiences.
Sponsored